Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HT with 105 seats
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: HT with 105 seats Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Shocked Shocked Shocked !

http://my.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20070831/46d8e3c0_3ca6_1552620070901633328065

Just a correction... Wink

Last edited by Tom.W on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dave Lister

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they building a home theatre in a mansion or did they buy a commercial theatre and build a mansion around it? Laughing

Owner of a VPH1000QM with over 80,000 hours on the tubes.
Beat that you digital technicolour flashlight owners.

Stuff for sale;
http://www.quicksales.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx?i=&d=0&min=&max=&sort=0&pg=1&cat=0&keyword=&view=List&f1=&f2=&type=c&type2=&type3=&type4=&type5=tardis-workshop&s=&pcode=&dis=0&freepost=
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/tardis_workshop/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=10&_rdc=1
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New construction McMansion. Power to them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings new meaning to the words "YOU SUCK" !
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no sh*t. Wow.

Cliff
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
New construction McMansion. Power to them!
You call that a McMansion?!

Around here, that term is associated with large houses (5000-7500 sq') popped up on tiny lots (<1 acre)... usually designed to come within a foot of the adjoining property lines.

Not as pricey as I thought it would be...
Quote:
Building permits for the new, 4½-story house show an estimated construction cost of $5.3 million. That figure, however, doesn't includes many items - such as plumbing, electricity and landscaping - and building experts expect the final cost could balloon to well beyond $14 million.
This probably doesn't include the cost of the land.

"An Otis elevator will serve all levels of the home." (Otis is a local company in Hartford [United Technologies... they also own Carrier, Hamilton Sundstrand, and Sikorsky]).

chase-mansion.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.92 KB
 Viewed:  91568 Time(s)

chase-mansion.jpg

Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the funny part...

Arnold Chase (the owner of the mansion above) is an active member ("achase") at AVS since Oct 2000: 8)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=2148

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8283384#post8283384
Quote:
I just received a PM from Arnold Chase who owns the Rattlesnake Mt. antenna complex.

Here are the guts of it.

If you look at the tower, you will see it has been rigged by the tower crew, and the long awaited tower project is FINALLY underway!
They are currently increasing the size of the guy cables, and they will then remove the Channel 61 analog antenna and replace it with the new candelabra assembly resulting in full power 61DT, 20DT, and 24DT signals (as well as a new CH 24 analog signal) very soon.

GREAT NEWS!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=9669080&postcount=4784

Watch out Dave, he's a Blu-Ray fan:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9778310#post9778310
achase wrote:
RE: Fifth Element redo is in the Works

"The Fifth Element" has been a reference DVD for so many years. I can't wait to scoop up the new version, even though it will be my forth or fifth copy as well!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9770198#post9770198
achase wrote:
RE: "The Departed" on Blu-Ray

I just picked up a BD copy from the Newington, CT Best Buy. I couldn't find it in the Blu-Ray section, and asked a clerk if it was with the regular "Departed" DVD's. She said "no, the Blu-Rays were sold out." After having visiting two Best Buys and a FYE without luck, I was ready to call it a night. I walked out the door and was halfway to my car when another sales girl ran after me and said the first girl didn't know what she was talking about, the BD version was indeed thrown in the "new releases" display. Sure enough, three "Departed" BD's were the only BD's in the entire display!

Two left for someone tomorrow!!!

Very Happy

I wonder if he's going to create a post looking for the cheapest place to buy Linacoustic or WilsonArt Designer White laminate for a DIY screen? Razz

Last edited by Clarence on Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he'll be getting cables from Monoprice?

Actually, the Super Wally World down the street from me gets regular visitors driving $100K cars. I just do not get it.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I wonder if he'll be getting cables from Monoprice?

Don't laugh...

I've done HT layouts for four $1M-2M houses (McMansions)... part of the package included monoprice links to the exact cables they needed. In case anyone's curious, yes, I selected d!%!#@|$ for those HTs.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny Clarence ! Wonder what projector he is using and how many .
Heywood Jablome

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50,000+ square feet....

When "Keepin up with the Jonses" becomes "Keepin up with the Getses!"

"Those countries which lag behind in industry, in the application of mechanics and technical chemistry, in the careful selection and utilization of natural products, where the respect for such activities does not permeate all classes of society, will unfailingly decline in prosperity. They will sink faster when neighbor states, with an energetic exchange between science and industry, go forward with renewed vitality."
-- Baron Alexander von Humboldt: 1769-1859
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a PM from Arnold . He is using a Hughes-JVC 12K ILA projector modified by Leo Bassett with a 28 foot screen ! Shocked

http://projectorcentral.com/Hughes-JVC-ILA-12K.htm

Sound system is a four way HPS-4000 by John Allen

http://www.hps4000.com/
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Just got a PM from Arnold . He is using a Hughes-JVC 12K ILA projector with a 28 foot screen ! Shocked

http://projectorcentral.com/Hughes-JVC-ILA-12K.htm

MSRP (USD) : $ 246,500
Brightness (Lumens) : 12000 ANSI Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea
Display Type: ILA (3)
Native: 2000x1280 Pixels
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Lamp Type: 7000W Xenon
Life: 500 hours
Quantity: 1
Max Power: 12480W

Shocked

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/news/releases_html?atype=release&releaseID=223
jvcpro.co.uk wrote:
Hampshire-based AV Solutions company Anna Valley has just invested in the state-of-the-art Hughes-JVC ILA 12k Projector.

According to Anna Valley, the 'large event' marketplace in which they specialize can do no better than the new Hughes-JVC product. With an eye to the approaching Millenium celebrations the company plans to be able to provide unequalled quality of pictures and graphics for event organisers who simply want the best there is.

The projector will offer a superior quality, brighter, larger picture than previously available. Whereas in the past it has sometimes been necessary to 'double-up' projectors to obtain the required brightness levels, the 12K now contains sufficient light in one unit.

In the words of Anna Valley's hire manager Mark Holdway, the 12k is an entirely unique product. Like other projectors in the Hughes-JVC ILA range, it is compliant with all current computer and HDTV standards and reproduces line rates at their true resolutions. No other product on the market can achieve this, believes Holdway.

"In terms of being able to show high-resolution, high quality graphics at their true resolution without re-sizing them or converting them, the whole Hughes-JVC range of projectors has a unique position - and the 12k sits at the top of that range."

The 12k's 7000Watt Xenon Arc Lamp offers 12,000 lumens of light output on screens up to 36 metres wide.

This, coupled with extended bandwidth and a high contrast ratio (1000:1), ensures that the 12K produces pictures which are not only bright but also crisp, detailed and free of distortion.

The 12K's facilities also make it an outstanding choice for fixed, curved screen applications like simulators, planetaria and domed theatres. Even a full 360£ 'theatre in the round'; so says JVC's projector sales manager, Bob Harris.

With image quality of this level on screen sizes of up to 36 metres wide, JVC feels the 12K will be in great demand all year round. Mark Holdway at Anna Valley supports this projection, pointing out that as stage managers and event organizers compete ever more fiercely for the most dynamic visual displays, it will fall to the 12K to meet the demands of their imaginations.

http://hdtvmagazine.com/archives/ilapressr.html
hdtvmagazine.com wrote:
June 24,1999

Hughes-JVC Rewrites Cinema History with the Digital Release of Not One But Two Films... and Audiences Applaud on Both Coasts

Hughes-JVC Technology Corporation is adding a new chapter to the history of cinema by ushering in the digital age at two movie theaters in the New York area and two in Los Angeles. General audiences are eagerly standing in line and paying to see a true digital cinema experience, and their response has been extraordinary.

On June 18, Hughes-JVC,s ILA-12K Cinema projector began exhibiting two of the summer's best films, each for a four-week run. Lucasfilm's summer blockbuster "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" is showing digitally in the Los Angeles area at Pacific's Winnetka Theater in Chatsworth and in Paramus, New Jersey at Lowe's Cineplex Odeon. Already shaping up to be the summer's critical favorite, "An Ideal Husband" from Miramax Films plays digitally in LA at Laemmle's Sunset 5 and in New York at the Clearview Chelsea 9. For these screenings only, Miramax is adding a bonus, a special 20th Anniversary compilation of Miramax films.

"Perfecting an Electronic Cinema projector that exceeds the quality of the 35mm film shown at commercial movie theaters has been our goal from day one," said Jack Faiman, Hughes-JVC Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "I am excited to say that we have finally reached that goal. I attended the first night's screening of 'An Ideal Husband' in Los Angeles, and the response wasjust overwhelmingly positive. The industry experts commented knowledgeably on the outstanding brightness, color reproduction, contrast and resolution. But even to the untrained eyes of the regular movie-going public, the difference was apparent. They commented consistently that the images were sharp and clean without dirt or scratches, that the picture seemed richer and more three-dimensional."

Exit surveys confirm these comments: nine out of ten people asked to rate the quality of the Hughes-JVC digitally projected image found it to be as good as or better than traditional film. And the opening weekend's box office receipts revealed that for both "Phantom Menace" and "Ideal Husband" the per screen grosses at the digital theaters exceeded the average grosses at the conventional film theaters. The Digital Revolution has truly arrived.

The projector behind this revolution in Cinema, the ILA-12K, is a production model based on the Image Light Amplifier, or ILA© device. Invented by Dr. William Bleha, Hughes-JVC Vice President of Engineering, this liquid crystal light valve technology is the key to the 12K's unique ability to exceed 35mm motion picture film in every area of image quality, on theater-sized screens. True, lifelike colors and contrast levels exceeding 1500:1 ensure a depth and richness missing with other digital technologies. With over 12,000 lumens of light output and a display resolution of 2000x 1280, the 12K produces a sharp, dazzling, non-pixelized image with the authentic look and feel of film.

Dr. Bleha noted, "The showings of these two totally different films were an outstanding test for the ILA- 12K. 'Ideal Husband' has many closeups of faces and dark scenes where excellent contrast is critical. The 12K's 1500:1 contrast ratio far exceeds not only the limitations of other digital technologies, but also 35mm release prints as well, which are typically in the 1000: I to 1200:1 range. In 'Phantom Menace,' the many highly detailed animations and special effects required extremely high resolution and clarity. In both films, details previously hidden in the projected film version now spring to life on the ILA-12K. We've raised digital projection to a completely new level. And our technology, and the movie-going experience, will only get better in the future. Our next challenge is to exceed the quality of 70mm film."

http://www.medicalvideosystems.com/Products/Projectors/ILA%20Projectors/ila12k.htm
http://www.medicalvideosystems.com/Products/Projectors/ILA%20Projectors/ILA12KS.htm
Quote:
Here it is . . . the new projector that takes brightness to a completely different level!
The amazing ILA-12K delivers an unprecedented 12,000 lumens of light output that leaves all other large screen projectors far behind.Brightness isn't the only story. The ILA-12K also produces a contrast ratio of 1000:1 and bandwidth of 150 MHz. And it's compatible with a wide range of sources including the new 1920 x 1080 HDTV standard, high resolution graphics to 90 kHz, and NTSC and PAL video. You won't believe your eyes in even the most demanding applications, including Cinema Screening Rooms, Outdoor Displays, Theme Parks, Arenas, Auditoriums and Entertainment Events. The ILA-12K is part of the complete product line of high-performance, ultra-bright Image Light Amplifier projectors. ILA® technology helps all Hughes-JVC models deliver an unparalleled combination of color, contrast, brightness, resolution and bandwidth for the most incredible large screen image in the industry.

Model ILA-12K
ILA Digital Graphics Projector

NORTH AMERICAN
SPECIFICATIONS ILA-12K

Brightness 12,000 Center Full White Lumens/
10,000 ANSI Lumens
Super Contrast Greater than 1,000:1
RGB Bandwidth 150 MHz (Measured at -3dB)
Horizontal Frequency 15-90 kHz
Vertical Frequency 45-120 Hz
Aspect Ratio 4:3, and 16:9 (variable)
Source Compatibility (HxV) 2,500 x 1,340
Graphics Resolution (HxV) 2,000 x 1,280
Video Resolution 1,500 TV Lines (4:3)
Inputs 2 RGBHV (Decoder optional)
Convergence Digital with 30 memories/channels
Light Modulator 3 Proprietary Image Light Amplifiers
Power 208 VAC, 60A, 3ø, 60Hz
Light Source 7,000 Watt Xenon Arc Lamp
Lens Options Fixed: 0.885:1, 1.5:1, 3:1, 5:1, 7:1, 10:1
(Throw Screen Width)
Throw Distance 6'-360'
Screen Size 4' - 60' wide
Size (HxWxL) 72.5" x 56.0" x 58.0"
Weight 1670 lbs Shocked
Brightness and contrast measured at 1024 x 768, 90Hz, 5600°K.
Specifications subject to change without notice.

ila12kproduct.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.02 KB
 Viewed:  91395 Time(s)

ila12kproduct.gif

Last edited by Clarence on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HPS 4000 ...

http://www.hps4000.com/pages/info_.html

The funny thing is Arnold is doing his own wireing of the sound system . No Monoprice here ... Wink
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HT complex is more than twice the size of the rest of the house. Very Happy

Finally, someone's got his priorities straight!

Now I know why people are hoarding G90s: To sell them all to this guy and make a megastack! Maybe eight across and four high....??!!??

CJ
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JVC is a light valve with 3 CRTs. I used to have a couple of the Ampro versions (the 7200 light valve). And I've seen those JVCs liquidated for $50, but the the power and size make my 242-pound G90 look tiny.

http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sept99/phantom/fx3/main.htm
Quote:
Texas Instruments and Hughs-JVC shed new light on digital film exhibition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On July 18, 1999, audiences in four U.S. theaters witnessed a revolution in feature film exhibition watching a movie without film. For four weeks, digital projections of The Phantom Menace were presented at theaters on each coast: the AMC Burbank Media Center 14 in California and the Loews Meadows 6 in Seacucus, New Jersey. Both houses utilized Texas Instruments Emmy-winning Digital Light Processor (DLP) in a prototype projector. Meanwhile, at the Pacific Winnetka Theater in Chatsworth, California and the Lowes Cineplex Odeon in Paramus, New Jersey, the Hughes-JVC Corporation exhibited its own Image Light Amplifier (ILA) 12K Projectors.
These presentations—held by Lucasfilm, THX, CineComm, Texas Instruments (TI) and Hughes-JVC—mark the potential for a drastic change from the distribution paradigm as it currently exists. Despite all the hype you hear about digital projection, says Phantom producer Rick McCallum, this technology represents the first real step forward for filmmakers who care about the way audiences see their work. For over 20 years, Lucasfilm and THX have dreamed of the day when viewers could see a film without any loss of image quality throughout its entire theatrical run.

To create the digital Phantom that was used for these presentations, an interpositive was struck from its master negative and transferred to D-5 HD tape at Modern VideoFilm in Burbank, California, under the supervision of THXs principal video engineer, Dave Schnuelle. Two transfers were done, each optimized for the respective projector systems. Colorist Skip Kimball corrected the transfer for the TI projector, and Greg Garvin colored the Hughes-JVC transfer. Both were done on a Spirit DataCine in 8-bit 4:2:2 at 1920 x 1035 resolution. That data was then compressed by the Panasonic D-5 recorder at 4:1 to 1280 x 1024. The D-5 tapes were brought to International Video Conversions in Glendale, California, where a screening room with a 24' screen was set up with three projectors: a standard 35mm rig, TIs DLP, and the Hughes-JVC ILA-12K. The movie was then compared and corrected to get [both telecine transfers and the film print] looking as close as possible to each other, submits Robert Lemer, who represents CineComm Digital Cinema, a company positioning itself to be a satellite delivery service from distributors to exhibitors with digital projectors.

The final HD data was transferred to Pluto RAID disk arrays (consisting of 20 18-gig drives) for presentation at the four theaters.

CineComm represents a key component in the proposed digital distribution paradigm. Were in a position to replace the labs and [the shipping company] in the delivery of films to exhibitors, maintains Russell Wintner, CineComms co-founder and chief technical officer. The film will be given to us by the studio, after which well compress and encrypt it, uplink it to the satellite and address it down to theaters. There, the information will be stored on our Theater Management System, a RAID array totaling about 350-400 gigs that will handle 10 to 12 screens.

The compression algorithm—at 50:1—is a proprietary development by QualComm. It uses an adaptive block size, whereas current MPEG and JPEG algorithms have a fixed block size. That allows our compression to be much more efficient because it compresses an entire frame without regard to the frame before or the one after, as opposed to MPEG, which compresses information based on the differences between the frames. The inherent difficulties of current compression technologies—such as motion artifacts—are eliminated.

The Hughes-JVC ILA-12K projector is based on liquid crystal Light Valve (LV) technology designed by Dr. William Bleha, Hughes-JVCs vice president of engineering. The LV is a spatial light modulator that accepts a low-intensity light image and converts it, in real time, into an output image with light from another source. In the case of the 12K, the other source is a 7.4K Xenon bulb, and the initial low-intensity information is derived from three infrared CRTs—one for each red, green and blue channel. Each CRT raster is imaged onto its corresponding ILA-LV through a relay lens. The Xenon beam is separated into its primary hues with dichroic mirrors, and each beam is linearly polarized by a McNeille-type polarizing beam splitter (PBS) before reaching the ILA-LV. The two sources are compounded together and focused through a lens onto the screen. The raster range of the CRTs can be altered to project different aspect ratios, from 1.33:1 to 2.4:1. At present, the ILA-12K is a 60Hz, 30 fps projection incorporating 3:2 pulldown. The company can later adapt to a 24 fps progressive scan.

The TIs DLP projector incorporates a theatrical lamp housing with their Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) technology, a semiconductor microchip with an array of 1,300,000 tiny aluminum mirrors (SXGA) that act as optical switches by rotating mechanically to reflect light toward or away from the projection lens. The DLP mounts to the front of the lamp housing, and works off the illumination from that source. The light is projected into the DLP, split dichroicly into its three primaries, and then reflected onto one of three DMDs (one each for red, green and blue). A microchip receives information from the hard disk array and coordinates the 1.3 million mirrors, updating their positions. Basically we have a memory under the mirrors, and we load that memory up to 50,000 times per second explains Paul Breedlove, TIs program director for digital imaging. We put a frame of data [from the hard drive] in the memory and break it down into pixels to determine the hue and intensity of each pixel. That hue and intensity is presented by varying the amount of time that the specific mirror is on or off during the period of that frame. The DMD may turn a mirror on and off up to 50,000 times in 124th of a second to get the color shade it needs.

With our technology, Breedlove continues, progressive and interlace doesnt have any relevance. We show an entire frame at a time, 24 fps. There is no scanning going on, so you dont see scan lines. The DLP Projectors have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024, and the 2.35:1 aspect ratio for the presentation of The Phantom Menace was achieved through an anamorphic projection lens.

This revolution is no different from just five years ago, when digital nonlinear editing arose, submits McCallum. The opposition to that was tremendous, but five years later, every studio and every television station has changed their minds. I know [accepting digital projection] is going to be challenging, but the truth is that the future is here—it’s now.

"RAID array totaling about 350-400 gigs"... I bet none of them expected that you would be able to buy 400Gb for $89 today.

http://mkpe.com/digital_cinema/history/
Quote:
An Early History of Digital Cinema Technology

Star Wars Episode I and An Ideal Husband were the first motion pictures to be released to the big screen in digital in June of 1999. Star Wars Episode I was displayed on four digital systems, two in Los Angeles, and two in New York. Two Hughes/JVC ILA-12K projectors, and two early prototype DLP-Cinema projectors from Texas Instruments were used for the Star Wars demonstrations. The digital demonstrations of An Ideal Husband were presented only on the Hughes/JVC ILA-12K. The ILA-12K produced a good looking picture, but was difficult to maintain in a day-to-day theatrical environment. The projector technology of choice quickly became DLP Cinema from Texas Instruments. In the early days, the only projectors available were prototypes built by TI. Today, TI has three licensees: Barco, Christie, and NEC/Digital Projection. TI is the only game in town today, but that could change in 2004.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to buy one of my company's motion driving simulators for his arcade... Then I can afford to get a new blue tube for my 808s. Very Happy
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Just got a PM from Arnold . He is using a Hughes-JVC 12K ILA projector modified by Leo Bassett with a 28 foot screen ! Shocked

Let's see, if we assume he's got the ultimate anamorphic lens so he can use the full 4:3 panel area, then he can use the full 12000 lumens. 28' wide would be 441'^2 for a 16:9 screen. 12000 lumens / 441'^2 = 27 ft Lamberts! Yowza. Even if he didn't use any kind of anamorph, and for 2.35:1 he only used 57% of the panel & thus 57% of the lumens, he'd still be throwing 0.57 * 12000 / 333'^2 = 20.5 ftL. Should be enough even for a 103 seat theater!
achase

TV/Projector: Christie 4k DCI

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Tom.W wrote:

Let's see, if we assume he's got the ultimate anamorphic lens so he can use the full 4:3 panel area, then he can use the full 12000 lumens. 28' wide would be 441'^2 for a 16:9 screen. 12000 lumens / 441'^2 = 27 ft Lamberts! Yowza. Even if he didn't use any kind of anamorph, and for 2.35:1 he only used 57% of the panel & thus 57% of the lumens, he'd still be throwing 0.57 * 12000 / 333'^2 = 20.5 ftL. Should be enough even for a 103 seat theater!

Hi Guys,

Your lumen calculations are based on the original 12K model and not the last of the special cinema units. The last units used special ILA panels that were native 16 x 9, had faster response times, superior colorimetry, and much higher contrast ratios. Also important to factor in your calculations is the use of the upcoming HQV line quintuplers. They will take the native 24p H-Def player outputs and convert it to 120P. In doing this the on-screen brightness is increased about 30% over the usual level. The autoranging ability is one of the main reasons I went with the older technology.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum achase. 120P refresh? Does that smooth the picture out or does it make things look artificial at all?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 1 of 31
Jump to: