Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

cable labelling

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: cable labelling Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
i'm finally making up the audio cables for the HT. i'd like to label them to help find ends that match the same cable. the short ones aren't a problem, but the long ones are going to be a problem when mixed in with all the others at the back end of a preamp or switcher.

i'm a computer guy so i know what's out there for our cables in the server rooms, but it all looks a bit nerdy. i've made up some pretty nice cables (i think Smile ) so i'd prefer to do something a little less ... clinical.

what have you guys seen that looks good (and lasts) for cable labelling?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using colored tape for the analog cables (red, green, and blue for Component). For the speaker cables hitting the AVR I simply write on a tape which speaker they go to, which is probably what can be done for multiples of digital video cables as well. For instance, I know I could ID via marked-tape the three HDMI sources going into the HDMI switch, etc.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i have the flavours colour coded (red for right, white for left, green for sub/center, blue for digital, yellow for composite (don't ask). but i know that with the VCR and reel about 10 feet from the pre-amp, i'm going to have concerns about getting the three lefts and the three rights mixed up at one end.

the heat shrink takes a nice ballpoint that doesn't distort during heating, i might just do that. i did that on the "ended" cables and it looked okay. not great, but okay.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my buddies has developed a wireless wire tag reader, similar to that used for reading chips embedded in pets. Probably not applicable here, but it is for really big installations. You tag a wire with either a wire tie with the tag embedded in it, or I think he has it in tape form as well.

YOu can therefore bury a wire that's not currently being used behind a wall, then come along months or years later and find the wire. He's still working on it, but the system works.
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. if it's small like the pet chips then you could capture it under the heat shrink. wild idea.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a fine-point Sharpie and write directly on the wire, wherever possible.

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Brother P-Touch label maker. More expensive to operate than tape and a Sharpie but I had it kicking around from my last job. My rack isn't anything special and it's in the HT so the labels look professional...even if the rack doesn't.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
One of my buddies has developed a wireless wire tag reader, similar to that used for reading chips embedded in pets. Probably not applicable here, but it is for really big installations. You tag a wire with either a wire tie with the tag embedded in it, or I think he has it in tape form as well.

YOu can therefore bury a wire that's not currently being used behind a wall, then come along months or years later and find the wire. He's still working on it, but the system works.

Dude. Then big brother will, like, know where your wires are. And like, control your *thoughts* dude. Dude. And totally screw up your noise floor. Big Brother's got a nasty sixty-hertz hum, man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: