Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

if you think your htpc plays .ts files smoothly...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: if you think your htpc plays .ts files smoothly... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
then tell me exactly what your config is...

Oddly enough, overlay works fine for smoothness...but vmr9 is the only way I want to watch video, and more often than not the downloaded movies have issues with it. Micro stutters...the odd audio hiccup (milliseconds) etc. Nothing crazy, but it drives me crazy!!

Perhaps I should go XBOX 360 at this point...but no chance for 48Hz as far as I know.

Maybe I should disable onboard video and try one of the new ATI cards??

Talk to me people...

Ben
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What onboard video card are you running?

Mark AW will blow the ATi horn at you shortly I'll bet. Acording to him the new ATi cards are great with vmr9. I'm in the market for a new card as my on board GeForce 6150 won't do 1080P off the HD-DVD smoothly. Keep us updated. Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kschmit2

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Geforce 6800 played TS files with either h.264 contents or MPEG-2 contents absolutely smoothly.

h.264 contents in PAFF mode was properly slowed down from its original rate of 25.00 fps for movies to 23.976 fps (this is an offline process not involving re-encoding the contents), and then played back at 1920x1080i95.904

MPEG-2 contents is played in realtime with inverse telecine (IVTC) applied to it.

Playback software: Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition using either VMR9 in Direct3D Fullscreen mode, or EVR in Direct3D fullscreen mode.
Codec for h.264: CoreAVC 1.3
Codec for MPEG-2: Dscaler5 Video Decoder with IVTC mod (to play back 1080i60 files as proper 1080p23.976).

I have since moved to an ATI HD 2600XT card, and everything that worked with the Geforce works just as fine with the ATI card (though given the sheer amount of complaints about the ATI cards, I'm well aware that I have been more than lucky so far).

Everything (incl. Blu-ray and HD DVD) is perfectly smooth. No judder, no stutters. Just like the best external scalers.

Hardware:
ATI A64 X2 4600+ (2.4 GHz) (Socket 939)
2 GB DDR
Mainboard for the Geforce 6800 (AGP) was an ASUS A8V,
Mainboard for the ATI HD 2600XT (PCI-E) is an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
OS: the Geforce System was run under both XP and Vista Ultimate (32 bit), the ATI system is now Vista only.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What onboard video do you have? I have probably a 3-year old IBM machine with a Radeon 9800 AGP, I think in it... It plays the .ts files I pull off my HDTivo in TheaterTek perfectly. I can't tell the difference between the HTPC at 1080i and the HD Tivo at 1080i. There is a signal timing difference, but to me, they look almost identical. Does TT use VMR9?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT uses VMR9 because I tell it to...I am not a fan of overlay at all. THe colors look weird.

THe mobo has onboard NVidia 6150GPU, got very good reviews...and for pic quality, I have no issues at all. I think it looks great!

cpu is never used overly high either...I just can't get certain movies/scenes to play smooth....different Nvidia drivers are better, but nothing has cured this thing. And yes, when I switch to overlay it's all fine and dandy.

Ben
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sure vouch for that. I have Ben's PC here. watched a movie made of multiple .ts files. sounds and video got out of sync every 5min.
picture stutters a lot.
other than that, which is major and pissed off the wife quite a bit, its perfect.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
TT uses VMR9 because I tell it to...I am not a fan of overlay at all. THe colors look weird.

THe mobo has onboard NVidia 6150GPU, got very good reviews...and for pic quality, I have no issues at all. I think it looks great!

cpu is never used overly high either...I just can't get certain movies/scenes to play smooth....different Nvidia drivers are better, but nothing has cured this thing. And yes, when I switch to overlay it's all fine and dandy.

Ben

That's the problem I'm having with the 6150. I was watching the departed last week and tried 1080P it stuttured too much so I went back to 720P.

CRT.

HD done right!
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used my HTPC in over a year.

Loving the stand alone players much better. Especially via HDMI.

Anywho, a stand alone Toshiba HD DVD player will smoke a 360.

Cliffy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! Well ok I belive you. Now walk softly and carry 12 big guns. Wink

I use mine for lots of stuff besides just HD-DVD playback and I don't own a scaller so it work out well for me. Plus I have a Logitech G25 steering wheel on order and I wana get a good racing game to go with it.

So it seems a GeForce 8800 will be on order for me soon too. ( Lets see there's a birthday and Christmas is comming...)

CRT.

HD done right!
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

I use mine for lots of stuff besides just HD-DVD playback and I don't own a scaller so it work out well for me. Plus I have a Logitech G25 steering wheel on order and I wana get a good racing game to go with it.

So it seems a GeForce 8800 will be on order for me soon too. ( Lets see there's a birthday and Christmas is comming...)

Oh hell ya, it's a good gaming system and great for .ts playback, but as an HD DVD player, it is SOFT compared to HDMI from the Toshiba's. Even the HDMI versions of the 360 exhibit the same flaw. They are soft.

On top of that, the 1080P timings are broken so you cannot properly display 1080P with any CRT natively from a 360.

I actually prefer the output of the PS3 to be extremely superior to the 360. It's sharper, I've never had a problem with it, and it's ranks in the top of BD players.

Cant wait until the game selection gets good. Thumbs Up

Cliffy
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
On top of that, the 1080P timings are broken so you cannot properly display 1080P with any CRT natively from a 360.

I actually prefer the output of the PS3 to be extremely superior to the 360. It's sharper, I've never had a problem with it, and it's ranks in the top of BD players.

I concur. BD on PS3 is much better than HDDVD from the XBox360. I was hoping the softness was due to component, so I upgraded to the Elite for HDMI. A little better, but still nowhere close to PS3.

Cliff, do you think the XBox HDDVD drive was sharp on your PC?
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reclock.

And yes, my 2600XT works fine. VMR9 is perfect.
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will buy a 2600XT or perhaps a 8600GT and see if that helps me out....

I had tried reclock on this pc...but maybe I'm not using it now. I'll have to look closer.

I have a Toshiba HD-DVD drive...but it doesn't allow me to play .ts files from harddrives Smile

I really love the idea of HTPC...gamma correction, 48 Hz, streaming movies....but man, it just kicks me in the balls more often than not.

Is there a step by step, click by click, checkbox by checkbox setup for Zoomplayer with reclock and Dscaler?? I think this should be my setup at this point, but I just can't get it all to work. Seems I have to get this that and the other thing, and the other thing usually stumps me and I go back to TheaterTek.

Ben
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Mark, I absolutely apologize for those items never being shipped.

I have no legs to stand on...I just couldn't get it done or something...perhaps I have a disease, I'm not sure.

Ben
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes...while it can be bad, and sometimes a non-issue....Barry was watching Uncle Buck, which is by far the worst offender I have downloaded in terms of stuttering.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Oh hell ya, it's a good gaming system and great for .ts playback, but as an HD DVD player, it is SOFT compared to HDMI from the Toshiba's. Even the HDMI versions of the 360 exhibit the same flaw. They are soft.

Cliffy

Ahhh yes I think we got confueseded, I'm just running the XBOX HD-DVD drive on my HTPC. I use my HTPC to game.

I never could stand playing games with controllers. It's mouse/keyboard for me and the ocasional steering wheel.

CRT.

HD done right!
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
overclkr wrote:

I concur. BD on PS3 is much better than HDDVD from the XBox360. I was hoping the softness was due to component, so I upgraded to the Elite for HDMI. A little better, but still nowhere close to PS3.

Cliff, do you think the XBox HDDVD drive was sharp on your PC?

Oh yeah. It's fine on the PC for the most part other than the occasional stutter. I just hate having to navigate the menu's on HD with the mouse. It sucks.

Cliffy
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
overclkr wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Cliffy

Ahhh yes I think we got confueseded, I'm just running the XBOX HD-DVD drive on my HTPC. I use my HTPC to game.

I never could stand playing games with controllers. It's mouse/keyboard for me and the ocasional steering wheel.

Oh, hell yeah. I'll take a mouse and keyboard over a game pad for first person anyday........ Very Happy
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Steering wheel". Pshaw.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I could probably build that with spare parts I have laying around. I'd have to make the screen projection with my 1252 though.

I don't think my neighbours would apreciate the noise from the hydraulics.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: