Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee picture blinking out

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJMoore

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Marquee picture blinking out Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a 1996 model Marquee 8500. I run component at 480p (SD cable), 1080i (HDTV cable) and 720p component (Oppo DVD) signals through my Sony ES receiver to a Crescendo RTC2200 transcoder, then RGBHV to the Marquee. I have also tried DVI at 1080i and 720p direct from the Oppo DVD to the Moome DVI input card.

Occasionally the image "blinks out" for a fraction of a second. It goes black, and then comes right back. There is no screen message about No Sync. Sometimes this happens several times in rapid succession, only to stop for an hour or more. Or rare occasions, the screen "rips" with diagonal streacking lines and garbled video, and sometimes the images will "role" down from the top, i.e. the entire image appears to slip downward and wrap around at the top with a thick black line between the image top and the part that roles over to the top from the bottom. Kind of like way way back when you had to adjust the vertical hold and horizontal hold on TVs. (And no - I wasn't watching the into to Outer Limits)

This seems to most likely happen when the 5 ton central A/C unit starts up and the voltage sags, but it also happens when this is not the case, both when the A/C is running or when it is stopped. I also note that it never happens when I watch 480p - only when watching 1080i or 720p, and it doesn't matter if I am using cable box or DVD, or if I am using RGBHV or Moome DVI inputs. I happens on either when I am at 1080i or 720p.

The entire setup ( except the Moome card) were previously used on my Sony 1272 at 720p and never had a glitch, so I have a hard time thinking it is the cables or the RTC or the receiver, and like I said - it also happens when I bypass the receiver and the RTC entirely and go direct to Moome.

Everything else operates normally. The only thing I know about is that one side of the black connector to the LVPS is cracked and I had to carefully work the LVPS into place, but I never have had power trouble lights or unexplained shut downs or failure to start up.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this. It certainly seems to reside in the Marquee, since the problem appears on any HD input from any source.
CZ Eddie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you have more than one issue. To fix your blinking issue, just search the forum as there are tons of posts about the blinking. Just press firmly on the IC's in your CLM.
timbo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about running an hd source via component through the Crescendo? If OK, then add the Sony receiver to the mix.
If you can run your hd via component without issues, look to the dvi for some type of bug.

My guess is that the Marquee is ok and the dvi connection the problem.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem exists whether or not the HD component signal is routed through the receiver or not.

The problem exists whether or not the HD signal is component through the Crescendo, or DVI throgh Moome.

The problem never appears when the signal is 480p via component and Crescendo, or 480p via component and receiver and Crescendo, or 480p via DVI to Moome.

The trigger event appears to be either power sag when the HVAC kicks in, or a transition between one scene and another, and seems to be more likely when transitioning from a dark scene to a bright one.

I do not have any behavior that would point to the Moome card alone, or to the DVI cable, since it also happens on component to Crescendo to RGBHV cables.

CZ - I will do a search, and I had previously DeOxit'd all the removable chips and reseated them, but I will go back over all of them to be sure all are firmly seated.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest and ideas.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJMoore wrote:
The problem exists whether or not the HD component signal is routed through the receiver or not.

The problem exists whether or not the HD signal is component through the Crescendo, or DVI throgh Moome.

The problem never appears when the signal is 480p via component and Crescendo, or 480p via component and receiver and Crescendo, or 480p via DVI to Moome.

The trigger event appears to be either power sag when the HVAC kicks in, or a transition between one scene and another, and seems to be more likely when transitioning from a dark scene to a bright one.

I do not have any behavior that would point to the Moome card alone, or to the DVI cable, since it also happens on component to Crescendo to RGBHV cables.

CZ - I will do a search, and I had previously DeOxit'd all the removable chips and reseated them, but I will go back over all of them to be sure all are firmly seated.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest and ideas.

Hi there....Is your pj ceiling mounted? The reason I ask is every month or so, mine exhibits almost the same behaviors. In my case, it's the HDM and or Focus board dropping down from heating and cooling. It's never the same symptoms twice but removing the cover and pressing them back up in takes care of issues ranging from won't power on, to soft image.
I've experimented with a couple different ways to keep those suckers secured up there without using anything metallic but so far I haven't found a removeable fix.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
PJMoore

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - it is floor mounted. I seem to recall seeing a thread on the A site about someone that used stainless cable and eyes between the metal card housings and the frame to restrain the cards on a ceiling mount. I don't think non-metalic is necessary - only non-magnetic, eh?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'd need cables &etc unless you wanted to run it with the rear heatsink swung out (since the HDM/focus assemblies screw into the heatsink). But you may need to put some non-conductive padding between the boards and the lid of the assembly "boxes." Sometimes the boards can work loose from gravity, and the lids don't hold them in place properly. There's already a piece of foam in there but it might have gotten compressed too much over time.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AJMOORE. Just curious but is the a/c outlet for your projector on the same circuit as your a/c unit. I know your a/c unit is probably 220v, but I have seen people tap into them before, for a 110 line. Also is your main service 100amp or 200amp. An a/c unit draws a lot of power when it turns on. Also notice if the other problems occur, like when going from dark to light, if the a/c is running.Actually your projector should be on a dedicated line of it's own for best performance.Good Luck.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Marquee picture blinking out Reply with quote

PJMoore wrote:
The only thing I know about is that one side of the black connector to the LVPS is cracked and I had to carefully work the LVPS into place, but I never have had power trouble lights or unexplained shut downs or failure to start up. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this. It certainly seems to reside in the Marquee, since the problem appears on any HD input from any source.

If it's working fine at 480P and acting up at higher resoliutions I would be looking at a possible problem with the Deflection Processor Daughter Board on the control module or maybe the HDM.
View user's photo album (2 photos)

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got similar issues, picture blanks out just for under one second or half..But on my case that is groung loop problem. unplug all antenna cables ( set topbox and radio) many times there is grounding issues on antenna network. If blanking issue goes away, then trye found galvanic isolators for antennacables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2Rtpr1njs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZP9FEFXV5c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j065vei6j6s
http://www.facebook.com/pages/JTS-Racing-team/204443719572685
PJMoore

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for the ideas to investigate. The house is on a 200 amp panel. The HT is on a separate 120 circuit from the 220 volt HVAC, but I am certain there is a momentary dip in voltage for the entire house when the 5 ton HVAC starts.

Comcast cable boxs bring with them ground loops. Weirdly enough, they are not always there. I know of three other people in this area that also experience random and visual ground loop issues from Comcast.

In any case, I get this blinking behavior regardless of whether Comcast is in the circuit or not. I plan to tear down the entire Marquee to replace a cracked but otherwise functional LVPS connector, so perhaps I will stumble across the culprit in the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: