Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

XG-FULLHD: NEC XG HDMI 1.3 Input Card
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: XG-FULLHD: NEC XG HDMI 1.3 Input Card Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Note: This item is not sold or supported by CurtPalme.com! When purchasing you will be paying and dealing directly with the third party seller/manufacturer.

DISCLAIMER: Any dealings with the third party seller/manufacturer listed here, including the delivery of and the payment for goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings or promotions, are solely between you and the third party seller/manufacturer. Curtpalme.com shall not be responsible or liable for any part of any such dealings or promotions.

CURTPALME.COM IS NOT THE SELLER OR MANUFACTURER OF THESE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER MAY HAVE PROVIDED A WARRANTY ON THE GOOD(S) PURCHASED. CURTPALME.COM HAS NOT MADE, AND DOES NOT MAKE, ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, PROMISE OR COVENANT, EXPRESS OF IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONDITION, QUALITY, DURABILITY, CAPABILITY, FUNCTION, PERFORMANCE, OR SUITABILITY OF THE EQUIPMENT, ITS MERCHANTABILITY OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. BUYER AGREES THAT CURTPALME.COM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR EITHER SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OR ANY LIABILITY, LOSS, TAMPERING, ABUSE, DAMAGE, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL AND INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF BUYER'S PURCHASE OF THE EQUIPMENT, ANY DEFECTS IN THE EQUIPMENT, OR FAILURE OF SELLER/MANUFACTURER TO TIMELY DELIVER THE EQUIPMENT.

XG-FULLHD NEC XG HDMI 1.3 input card with Gamma and IR remote

Click here to order directly from the manufacturer!

To be notified immediately of any news on this product, click HERE (you must be registered and logged in).

Priority worldwide shipping included! Payment options: Credit Card or PayPal (PayPal account *NOT* needed to pay by credit card!)

Upgrade your NEC XG projector by adding *two* HDMI 1.3 inputs with gamma correction and infrared remote control!

The XG-FULLHD card allows you easily add digital devices such as HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players, PS3, Xbox360, Satellite/Cable HDTV set-top boxes, and HTPCs with HDMI graphic cards (to name a few) to your NEC XG projector. Simply plug the XG-FULLHD card into your NEC XG, your DVI/HDMI device into the card, and watch! Installation takes 5 minutes.

The XG-FULLHD is a culmination of everything Moome has learnt over years of building DVI/HDMI input cards for CRT projectors. It is by far the highest end card he has yet to offer. It includes two 100% HDMI 1.3 compliant inputs for Deep Colour support and better D/A converters (12bit DAC) and op-amps than in any of his previous designs for the best image quality possible!

Specifications

• Two HDMI 1.3 inputs
  • HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 ,HDCP 1.1, and DVI 1.0 compliant
  • DTV mode support (480P,576P,720P,1080i,1080P) for 50 and 60Hz
  • PC mode support VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA .etc
  • Support 4:4:4 RGB / YCbCr input
  • Support 4:2:2 YCbCr input
  • Support both 16-235 and 0-255 color range and auto select correct value
  • 14bit Data processing with High precision 200MHz 12bit DAC
  • Gamma correction processing and white level control
  • High speed 1GHz output Buffer
  • Support deep color mode for 10bit and 12bit
  • Support 120Hz for 720P and 1080i
  • Compatible with NEC XG projector input slot B, C
  • 2ch analog audio output
  • Toslink output, support up to 2 channels of PCM (uncompressed) or 8 channels of compressed audio
  • IR control input select and gamma level

FAQ

Can you set different gamma correction for the two HDMI inputs?
No - there is one gamma adjustment setting. It is used for both inputs.

How do I adjust gamma on this card?

See the manual (link provided below) for the gamma adjustment procedure.

More information:

The short answer: The gamma pot on the card is used to set the 'max' gamma boost value and the gamma up/down buttons on the remote then step over 20 levels of boost from off to max.

The long answer:
  • Start with the gamma pot turned fully CCW until you hear/feel a faint click while turning. That is max gamma as far as the pot adjustment. At that point the remote adjustment has the full range to work with.
  • Each press of the remote makes a very small change so it will take many presses to get to max gamma (at least that's the way it was on the beta board).
  • Start with the Gain/Contrast pot at mid-range or about 10 turns CW from max for your initial gamma adjustment.
  • Gamma change is mainly noticable in only the darkest picture elements. I recommend using the AVCHD test disc that you can download here. Then burn it to DVD. No need to burn it to Blu-Ray, normal DVD works just fine. Use the first test pattern under the first title "Basic Adjustments" which has the 2-22 color patterns (all dark black). As you increase gamma. you will see bars at lower (darker) numbers.
Also see this Gamma Tuning Guide for Moome products. It may prove useful as well.

How will most people hook up their HDMI sources to this card?
A few common ways are used:
(1) Less than 3 sources and receiver without HDMI: Source 1/2 -> HDMI cables -> XG-FULLHD card.
In this method you would then connect your source devices via SPDIF or Toslink to your receiver. Only the older compressed Dolby Digital/DTS sound formats are supported over SPDIF/Toslink.
(2) More than 3 sources and receiver without HDMI: Source 1/2/3/etc -> HDMI cables -> HDMI swicher -> HDMI cable -> XG-FULLHD card.
In this method you would then connect your source devices via SPDIF or Toslink to your receiver. Only the older compressed Dolby Digital/DTS sound formats are supported over SPDIF/Toslink. Only one of the two HDMI inputs on the XG-FULLHD is used.
(3) Newer receiver with HDMI: Source 1/2/3/etc -> HDMI cables -> Receiver -> HDMI cable -> XG-FULLHD card.
In this method the newer Dolby Digital/DTS high bit rate and lossless audio formats can be carried over HDMI to the receiver and decoded. The video then continues on to the XG-FULLHD card. Only one of the two HDMI inputs on the XG-FULLHD is used.

What about the SPDIF audio output on the XG-FULLHD? How do I use that?
None of the methods mentioned above uses the SPDIF audio output on the XG-FULLHD as frankly, it's not needed. SPDIF audio output is included as it comes for 'free' with most HDMI chipsets (including the one used in the XG-FULLHD) so it's included as a method to extract audio from the HDMI stream for those that may want to use it for testing. We can't see anyone seriously using it in a regular setup as usually most source devices are close to the receiver/preamp so it makes sense to connect the devices up directly, not looping through the XG-FULLHD. If you have less than 2 sources, and your receiver is close to your projector, and your receiver does not support HDMI, then it may make sense to use the SPDIF output on the XG-FULLHD card as follows: Source 1/2 -> HDMI cables -> XG-FULLHD card -> SPDIF cable -> Receiver.

I only need one HDMI input. Can Moome make a cheaper version with only 1 HDMI input?
Most HDMI chipsets (including the one used in the XG-FULLHD) support 2 HDMI inputs. Removing one of them would not greatly reduce the cost involved in building the device. You would basically only be saving the cost of the one HDMI connector.

How do I use the remote?
The buttons and their functions are described in the manual (link below).

I replaced my old Moome DVI input card with this new Moome XG-FULLHD card but the new card doesn't work!
If you owned Moome's previous DVI card and replace it with this new XG-FULLHD card, in some cases the projector may get confused and not recognize the new card. There is a one time procedure you need follow once to let the projector know you have a new card installed:
1. Turn off the pj and disconnect power or flip the switch off using the switch near the power cord.
2. Leave it off for a good 10 seconds until you see the indicator lights/display on the pj dim and go out.
3. Pull the XG-FULLHD card out to disconnect it. You only need to pull it out enough to disconnect it from the slot.
4. Re-insert XG-FULLHD with no inputs connected.
5. Plug power back in/switch on and turn power on the pj, making sure the initial input in use is slot A or B. If slot C was your default input, change it to slot A for now.
6. Now switching to slot C should work and you will get a 'new input' message (or something similar depending on your version of NEC)
7. Finally, with the source shut off, connect the hdmi cable and then power on your source. You should see 2 green lights on the XG-FULLHD, one next to the active input and the other between them to indicate a handshake. At that point you will have an image and will likely need to create a new SIGNAL ENTRY just by copying the one you had for your DVI card setup.
Hopefully this won't happen again unless you make it a habit of swapping out your older DVI card for the newer XG-FULLHD card.

Manuals

XG-FULL HD manual v1.0 (July 15, 2008, PDF document)

Reviews/Testimonials

"I received my XG-FULLHD HDMI card today and I love it! The picture is much better than what I was seeing previously. I was using a Sony BD300 and VP30 video processor and was never very happy with it. Now I have the VP30 plugged directly into the new HDMI card and the picture is sensational. Couldn't believe how easy it was to install and setup. Thanks Moome!!" - Rob

"...very quick install/setup and first impressions are that the XG-FULLHD card is noticeably sharper than my previous setup..." - Lance

"There is no doubt the XG-FULLHD card creates an image that is better than the previous DVI card...colors are more natural, test patterns are sharper. Is the card worth it? That would depend on your budget, and what you expect out of this product. For myself, I say yes it's worth it... the PQ has taken a step forward, and just looks 'right'. This card IS a step up in all areas of image reproduction." - KennyG

"The color rendition of the Moome [XG-FULLHD] card is really quite impressive. The first thing that hit me when going back to the DVI card was how much better the HDMI card did to create a vividly lifelike image with more subtle gradients." - JArseneau

"... it is a true work of art from Moome, amazing in every way possible ... with the new NEC XG HDMI Moome card and my DVDO VP50pro video processor outputting 4:2:2 YPbPr HDMI I have a image that has improved in nearly every manner (See here for screenshots) ... the crispness of the image has improved a lot as well, the image is naturally sharper vs the older DVI card which looks slightly edgy in comparison ... color resolution and naturalness has improved so much it is unbelievable, I am so thankful to be able to get this card for my XG, it was worth every penny and more! I just can't get over home much of a improvement this card really is, the best way to describe it is like someone took a hold of a knob on your system labelled bandwidth and cranked it out the roof, the natural crispness and smoothness of the image is amazing, the contrast ratio aspects of the image may be the biggest improvement of all. I am now going to be giddy every time I sit down to do reviews and watch films. Thank You Moome! You are a true master sir!" - Gary (Home Theater Forum Software and Hardware reviewer)

"Thanks Moome for a great product and speedy customer service! What a damned nice guy!" - Tacky

"The image is very sharp and the colours wonderfully vibrant and realistic! The black levels are outstanding!! Its certainly given this XG135 a few more good years without missing out on the latest Hi def formats." - Alan

"Finally installed my Moome XG-FULLHD card into my XG135LC .All sources fed through a VP50 and the results are stunning. Had the projector calibrated by ISF tech. Worth every cent." - Andrew John

The XG-FULLHD board is identical in functionality to the IFB-FULLHD board. Only the interface to the projector is different. Reviews for the IFB-FULLHD board can be found below:

"The board looks really good in the projector. I had a nice gamma plot that I was going to post today but somehow I managed NOT to save it properly and it was lost... so now I will have to redo the plot. I will say this, I have the card / G90 set up now so that I can see the "just above black" bar next to window patterns on my VP403 with windows from 0 IRE through over 70 IRE. This is with rich inky blacks and a perfect gamma curve of 2.2 through the entire luma range. The card has behaved flawlessly for my testing and seems very solid. It also deals really well with long HDMI cables, better than other previous cards I have seen. I do recommend it and will post more info as time permits. I have done only a little calibration with it, and the card already looks good. I've watched Sunshine, Mission Impossible 3, 5th Element, Bank Job, Decent, and Ratatouille. Some of those are not exactly reference, but the board is doing well. Sunshine with its black details and dark glory looked absolutely fantastic. Everyone who was watching with me was really WOWed. This is really a great card. I ran 1080x1920 @ 72 Hz today for a couple hours at least. Coming through a monoprice, 22 gauge, silver plated copper, 35' cable. No issues at all; no sparkles, no noise... just perfect. That is not an easy test at all!" - Craig Rounds, official IFB-FULLHD tester, professional calibrator (www.cir-engineering.com)

Please see the XG-FULLHD order page for more reviews/testimonials.

Glossary

• DRM: Digital Restrictions Management - technology to restrict what you can do with media you purchase
  • AACS: Advanced Access Content System - the DRM infection used for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD
  • BD+: An addition to AACS for Blu-ray discs, that provides additional restrictions to what you can do
  • HDCP: High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection - Encryption of data over digital connections
  • HDMI: High Definition Multimedia Interface - A digital connection found on most new HDTV's, all HDCP compliant
  • DVI: Digital Visual Interface - Precursor to HDMI, found on many older HDTV's.
  • ICT: Image Constraint Token - Downsamples HD output to standard resolution when hooked up over analog (component) cables
  • DAC: Digital to Analog Converter

Pictures

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 43 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy and Pain!

Joy, i want one of these bad!

Pain, 400.00 Crying or Very sad

But i'll suck it up and order! Rolling Eyes

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Gary Murrell

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-bit HDMI input is worth anything to me, I am tired of DVI

I have the first gen DVI moome setup for my 1352, and I am very pleased with it, this new card should be miles better based on other comparisons on his other products, can't wait Smile

-Gary

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the fairly obvious news department: The card will be called the "XG-HD". I've updated the FAQ (first post of this thread).

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, and this may be answered by those who are now familiar with the Marquee and Sony models.
If I buy the "advanced" model" (without remote) how is gamma adjusted...or is it preset?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyG: It's adjusted by the pot on the card. The remote just lets you go up and down from there without having to reach in and adjust the pot.

Kal

KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Kal...now how do I pre-order???
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny: You wait a little while. EXT-HD pre-orders will start soon, then after that XG-HD pre-orders.

If you start pre-orders too early, people start to get really antsy when there are delays and start email Moome like crazy and that just slows down the whole process. So I find it's best to simply wait until the product's getting close to done before allowing pre-orders (ie: no more than a month or so in advance).

You guys in the forum will always be the first to hear. Simply subscribe to this thread and the minute pre-orders are available you'll be emailed.

Kal

KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this makes sense...I'm not even involved with selling these type things, and I read so many posts by people who have no patience that it even starts to wear on me.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyG wrote:
Yeah, this makes sense...I'm not even involved with selling these type things, and I read so many posts by people who have no patience that it even starts to wear on me.

Yep. I see all the emails sent to Moome and HKmod (and others) here as I want to keep tabs on things to make sure people are happy. But man, some people are impatient!

Case in point. A few days ago someone from China ordered Moome's VIM-HD (Marquee) card.

He emailed within an hour or two to ask when it would be shipped. Then a few hours after that (because I guess he didn't get an immediate response), he emailed again from 2-3 other email addresses over 30-40 times each! The emails were about a minute apart!

I told him to stop sending the emails. One email was enough!

Just plain ridiculous. If I was Moome I would have cancelled his order and given him his money back. Smile

Kal

Gary Murrell

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, you would be surprised how people are today, I have had customers like that so many times in the past 10 years that I couldn't count them, usually these customers demand the most service, most attention and are always the ones that lowball, you give them a good deal then they turn psycho, 2 board members are included but I won't name names

people today demand the lowest prices, same day shipping, instant email/pm answering and the ultimate attention, this includes custom made to order items Rolling Eyes

I have had easily 20 people email me up 10 days after ordering a SDI modified DVD player, saying "Oh I decided I don't want this anymore" and when I tell them I ain't a wal-mart and things are in motion, they file you for paypal fraud

enough about this because as you can see I could talk about it forever which isn't good, I know moome has to deal with alot of trash though Thumbs Down

but 30 to 40 emails has my stories beat Razz

-Gary

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add this to the FAQ:

How do I adjust gamma on this card?
See this Gamma Tuning Guide for Moome products.

KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what's happening with this card?...I'm a patient person, but I think I'm about at the end.
Back in early June I got an e-mail from Moome telling me to wait 2 months...we are now headed into 5 months, and I'm about at a point where I need to move on. To another option (external box maybe?)
This thread is not to Flame Moome, I knew that 2 months wasn't going to cut it, but I'm sick of my crt looking like a digital...I even have certain Blu-Ray's that I won't watch until the black crush is fixed.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenny,

Moome told me on Oct 28th:

"by the way, i have send out the XG HDMI file to factory, they will make PCB for me, it is still on schedule before christmas!"

So design is completed and the factory's making the PCB. He's hoping to be able to ship before Xmas. I'm going to put these up for pre-order fairly soon. (Still working out some of the details).

Kal

KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal...I can definitely wait that long.
I'll keep an eye for the pre-order.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Kenny! I can't divulge anything but you XG guys are going to be getting a bunch of firsts out of Moome. IMHO I'll be worth the wait!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Moome's told me it's ok to let the cat out of the bag now:

The XG card will be called "XG-FULLHD" instead of "XG-HD" as the new card will be 100% HDMI 1.3 compliant!

Some quick info:

- Fully HDMI 1.3 compliant! Including Deep Color support! A first!
- Better D/A converters (12bit DAC) and op-amps than in any of his previous designs for the best image quality possible!
- TWO HDMI inputs!
- Toslink output, supporting up to 2 channels of PCM (uncompressed) or 8 channels of compressed audio
- Gamma adjustment/correction
- Remote control

Panel design:

While not the same card, here's a similar Sony card (the soon to be announced IFB-FULLHD) installed in a G90 and undergoing testing:

Moome wants to start pre-orders on the XG-FULLHD in about 2 weeks. Complete specs, information and pictures coming as soon as Moome supplies them.

Kal

Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll get toasted for this, but is this going to be a NEC PG+ compatible card as well? I just saw this product on the newsletter and thought I'd ask about it. If not, I guess my only option is the Fury?

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
energeezer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabba dabba Doo.
Curt or Kal
Please be sure I am made aware via e-mail when I need to send cash for my XGHD. I want to be on the first order. This is what I've been waiting for and have been holding out on HD DVD/ Blu-Ray.

Steve
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question but could I just run an HDMI cable from my receivers "HDMI OUT" port to one of the "HDMI IN" ports on the card and still do all of my audio and video switching through the receiver? Or do the sources have to be plugged directly into the card?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23
Jump to: