Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

XG-FULLHD: NEC XG HDMI 1.3 Input Card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kal wrote:
I believe the card will have its own IR pickup but we'll wait for Moome to chime in on all these.... things will become clearer once we have pictures/manual/pricing/etc.

Kal

Would like to know about this, right now I have the XG's pickup mounted outside my Hush box, and would assume in order to use the remote for this input card, it would also need to be mounted outside the H-box.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenny,

Most likely you'll have to do that. Actually the best way is to use IR repeaters and not try to hack or change the device in any way. I use a $50 Xantech "291-kit" to broadcast IR commands to a pile of devices including my Barco in the hushbox. If I had an XG and was using a Moome card, I'd get a dual head IR emitter:

Currently I have emitters on my preamp, lighting, Barco, PS3, HD-PVR, and soon to be added to my Moome EXT-HD.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding!!! Thank You.
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the more I think about the dual inputs the more it just doesn't make allot of sense to me.
What is to be gained by putting switching out at the pj?
In order to take advantage of HDMI 1.3 and it's lossless audio, switching is going to have to be done at the processor (or in most cases the receiver) So with the switching also in this card, that means the video signal is now going through two HDMI switchers...not to mention the fact that if you were going to use the input card's switcher, this would mean running two HDMI cables at a length of ??? (in my case 25 ft)
While the purist in me hates running any signal through a extra switching circuit, (or having to pay for it) at least with digital the only degradation is in my mind Laughing
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the ability to make adjustments to porches and refresh rates etc. On my XG when I use my Moome DVI Input card, the image is not wide enough in 720p, and to wide in 1080p compared to 1080i placement.

I miss the flexibility of a HTPC, but love thge idea of this card. I guess I am going to have to stick with 1080i for the forseeable future.
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yonexsp wrote:
I'd like to see the ability to make adjustments to porches and refresh rates etc. On my XG when I use my Moome DVI Input card, the image is not wide enough in 720p, and to wide in 1080p compared to 1080i placement.

I miss the flexibility of a HTPC, but love thge idea of this card. I guess I am going to have to stick with 1080i for the forseeable future.
\

This can't be done out at the input card, it needs to be done in the scaler (Lumagen's scalers can do it)
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyG wrote:
yonexsp wrote:

\

This can't be done out at the input card, it needs to be done in the scaler (Lumagen's scalers can do it)

Wasn't there a card from moonjong that had a scaler built into it for the Marquees last year?
moome

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yonexsp wrote:
KennyG wrote:
yonexsp wrote:

\

Wasn't there a card from moonjong that had a scaler built into it for the Marquees last year?

yes! but it cost very much! and complex!
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyG wrote:
You know, the more I think about the dual inputs the more it just doesn't make allot of sense to me.
In order to take advantage of HDMI 1.3 and it's lossless audio, switching is going to have to be done at the processor (or in most cases the receiver) So with the switching also in this card, that means the video signal is now going through two HDMI switchers...not to mention the fact that if you were going to use the input card's switcher, this would mean running two HDMI cables at a length of ??? (in my case 25 ft)
While the purist in me hates running any signal through a extra switching circuit, (or having to pay for it) at least with digital the only degradation is in my mind Laughing

Moome, would you speak to this post, and the reasoning for dual inputs out at the pj?

Thank You, Kenny
moome

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyG wrote:
KennyG wrote:

Moome, would you speak to this post, and the reasoning for dual inputs out at the pj?

Thank You, Kenny

dear Kenny:
all new hdmi chip have two input port! that's the reason!
if you wno't use another port, i can disable it for you!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what Moome is saying is that the cost involved in having 2 inputs isn't much more than 1.

But Moome, then you also have to include a Remote, an IR receiver, etc... and all the testing/debugging that has to occur. Maybe an idea for a later model as Moome's nearly done the XG-FULLHD

Kal

dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the price been announced for this? If so I guess I missed it somewhere.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price has not yet been announced.

KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moome wrote:
KennyG wrote:
KennyG wrote:

Thank You, Kenny

dear Kenny:
all new hdmi chip have two input port! that's the reason!
if you wno't use another port, i can disable it for you!

Greetings Moome,
By disabling one of the ports, does this remove the switching circuit from the signal path?
If it does, that would be great!!!
If it does not, then it is not going to change the circuit, so there would be no need for the extra work.

Thank You for your time, and this idea...Kenny
nzryan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qoute "all new hdmi chip have two input port! " - sounds like all new hdmi chips have two input ports, so switching is done in the chip.. so no it would not cut anything out...
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Toslink feature? Reply with quote

kal wrote:
- Toslink output, supporting up to 2 channels of PCM (uncompressed) or 8 channels of compressed audio

Not sure what to do with this feature.. I know the HDMI carries audio as well but it seems like the Toslink output provides the same functionality as a Toslink output would from the source (if the player was so equipped) and the same limitations (DD TrueHD limited to 2 channels). I guess it would give you the added coordination of switching audio and video in the same device. I do that now via remote control macro to set the projector input and then the AV pre/pro to the correct sound source.

Am I correct to assume the XG-FULLHD is not expected to output uncompressed multi-channel audio (DD TrueHD)? From the specs it seems it would accept the DD TrueHD multichannel audio and output it as 2 channel uncompressed audio via the Toslink.

KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Toslink feature? Reply with quote

jarseneau wrote:
kal wrote:
- Toslink output, supporting up to 2 channels of PCM (uncompressed) or 8 channels of compressed audio

Not sure what to do with this feature.. I know the HDMI carries audio as well but it seems like the Toslink output provides the same functionality as a Toslink output would from the source (if the player was so equipped) and the same limitations (DD TrueHD limited to 2 channels). I guess it would give you the added coordination of switching audio and video in the same device. I do that now via remote control macro to set the projector input and then the AV pre/pro to the correct sound source.

Am I correct to assume the XG-FULLHD is not expected to output uncompressed multi-channel audio (DD TrueHD)? From the specs it seems it would accept the DD TrueHD multichannel audio and output it as 2 channel uncompressed audio via the Toslink.

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering myself...on top of what seems to have become the endless wait, we have several features that just don't make any sense for some of us (maybe most of us???)
For those who have their pj hanging on the ceiling, how many are going to run 2 long HDMI cables to do their switching out at the pj? I wouldn't think anyone. Add to this the audio output capability...not sure who's going to run audio cables from their pj back to the receiver/processor that will actually be doing the HDMI swicthing

It seems that what would have been a well priced HDMI input card with manual gamma correction has now been upped to a price point that's not so reasonable anymore, and has several features that will (or may) not be used....it would have been nice to have the options other pj owners got.
But I need a HDMI card, and this is the only option I know of, so I'll take what I can get.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use the audio feature. IMHO it's useless. Just feed your receivers directly from the source device as any sane person would. Why would you loop through to the projector first?

Do this:

Sources -> HDMI Cables -> Receiver -> HDMI cable -> XG_FULLHD card

Your receiver will handle the audio portion and the video gets passed on to the card in the XG.

My take is that the only reason the TOSlink is there is because it comes 'free' with the HDMI 1.3 chipset so Moome's including it. If you don't include it, you know someone will complain. Smile

Kal

yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Toslink feature? Reply with quote

KennyG wrote:
jarseneau wrote:
kal wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering myself...on top of what seems to have become the endless wait, we have several features that just don't make any sense for some of us (maybe most of us???)
For those who have their pj hanging on the ceiling, how many are going to run 2 long HDMI cables to do their switching out at the pj? I wouldn't think anyone. Add to this the audio output capability...not sure who's going to run audio cables from their pj back to the receiver/processor that will actually be doing the HDMI swicthing

It seems that what would have been a well priced HDMI input card with manual gamma correction has now been upped to a price point that's not so reasonable anymore, and has several features that will (or may) not be used....it would have been nice to have the options other pj owners got.
But I need a HDMI card, and this is the only option I know of, so I'll take what I can get.

Kenny you make some great points as always. My biggest concern will be the eventual price. If $400 is true I think I might have to pass, as that will cover the Dual HD/BD drive (LG $220 now) and new Video card for my HTPC so I won't need this card anymore, as I'll go back to using RGBHV as before.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll see that these cards will get simplified and will be less expensive. ie; no display, manual gamma control, manual input switching etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23
Jump to: