Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Help me get to Cliff's HT level, and assist in room design!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Help me get to Cliff's HT level, and assist in room design! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I'll say again (and once more in my next mailout) that I fell in love with Cliff's HT setup. Now it's my turn to slowly turn the room that I've had my HT in for almost 5 years into something other than a speaker storage room with a 1/2 ass 9500 setup.

Since I have no experience with CAD drawings, I'll simply take some room pix and add some Photoshop info to them. Rolling Eyes

The room has 8' ceilings, and is about 23' long X 14' wide. As you can see by the below pix, I've got the screen hung about 3' forward from the back wall. Right now it's a 4:3 6' X 8' Draper pulldown. I've got a new 6 X 8 fixed Draper screen. (don't laugh, it was $149 new in the box on eBay).

Sources will be DVD, HD DVD via X360 as soon as I buy one, VHS (for the odd video), HD 6000 receiver (or 6100 if you guys think it's better) sent to a Lumagen HDP, into an active 2 way RGB splitter two one 9500LC and down the road a stacked second one.

Audio- Denon 3801 or I have a Yamaha 1295. Preamp out to 2 Inter M quad channel amps to drive the speakers.

Speakers- I've got all sorts of stuff. Right now I have a Community PA rig for the fronts that's horrible (but LOUD!). I think I'll put up three identical EAW JF260e: http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Legacy_Loudspeakers/JF_Series/JF260e/JF260e.pdf

for LCR, then for the rears I'll go with a pair of Mordaunt Short 3.30 or Celestion 9s (8" 3 way) or similar. Down the road I'll put in bipolars, but no funds for that right now.

For subs I have a choice of a really nice 1000 watt Tannoy 3 X 12" direct firing sub, a pair of dual 12" EAW, matching the above mid-highs, or the dual 15" Community bins (2 X 15" in each cabinet).

Accessories include a color Crestron touchpad (not programmed yet) and a Lutron 6 zone light dimmer.

Some pix:

HPIM0848.JPG
 Description:
Room shot showing the 9500 and screen.
 Filesize:  52.06 KB
 Viewed:  15142 Time(s)

HPIM0848.JPG

HPIM0850.JPG
 Description:
Left side wall. The teak wall unit is 11' long down that side of the room.
 Filesize:  88.05 KB

HPIM0850.JPG

HPIM0847.JPG
 Description:
Right wall. Fireplace to the left, sliding door with cheap blinds to the right.
 Filesize:  85.55 KB

HPIM0847.JPG

HPIM0845.JPG
 Description:
The back wall. HT rack to the left, multiroom system rack to the right.
 Filesize:  72.92 KB

HPIM0845.JPG

HPIM0851.JPG
 Description:
Entering the room, you go down 2 steps. To the left of the pix are two 19" racks. The one closest to the door holds the 12 zone multiroom system.
 Filesize:  90.21 KB

HPIM0851.JPG

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what I'm envisioning:

(remember that this has to be done on the cheap:)

1) Build 2 levels of seating. Raise the racks and the love seat that will fit between the racks to the level of the top landing of the stairs. Have a second level of seats that's level with one step down. That will house the couch for now, but both couch and loveseat should be replaced with proper theater seats down the road.

2) Put in dark carpeting.

3) Dark ceiling and walls.

4) Put in heavy dark curtains in place of cheapie blinds to act as sound absorption material.

5) Build wall across where the screen is, have acoustically transparent material around fixed screen so that LCR speaker sound comes through the cloth. Build fixed screen into the new wall in a 16:9 ratio, covering top and bottom of 4:3 screen .

6) Get rid of tacky ceiling light fixtures and replace either with a series of potlights or track lighting.

7) Wall unit has a series of lights to enhance wall units under various lips of the shelves. Connect to Lutron dimmer.

Other notes:

a) Right now I have a channel cut into the drywall down the middle of the ceiling, front to back of the room. I can run any additional wiring to the projector or to the front of the room with ease. Studs run width-wise, so I can also run electrical no problem. I'll seal this off once the ceiling is finished.

b) Speaker wiring is run for 7.1 right now, although I'm only using 5.1.

c) Rear inwall speaker is for multiroom system and isn't being used for the HT.

OK, throw your best ideas at me!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did step one last night: Removed the Community speakers, installed the 3 X 12 Tannoy cabinet and hooked up the 3 LCR EAW cabinets. There was a massive improvement in dialouge, the bass seems a bit punchier as well. I was only driving the cabinet with 150 watts RMS, today I'll hang the tensioned screen and will bridge the sub amp to put 300 watts into it..Smile (the sub can handle 1000 W RMS.)
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea,..

Can't think of anything else to add though... maybe after I read through it all again.

-Good Luck,

Brian
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you have some KILLER equipment in that room!

That room has so much potential BIG TIME!!!!! Thumbs Up

1st thing that I would concentrate on is light control. Cover up those windows and darken the room with either fabric or dark paint.

I would drape the whole screen area in the front of the room with black velveteen. Here is a link where you can get it at a decent price:

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?id=VELVETEEN2&google=velveteen&k=velveteen&gclid=CIDqy6vth40CFRU6OAodsEBqog

Build a coffee table to go over the 2nd Marquee so you will have a nice surface for drinks and remotes.

If you finish that room big dog you will have one hell of a killer setup BIG TIME. One of the best on the planet.

Hopefully Clarence will chime in as he is much more knowledgable in this department.

If you liked my room, you should see his. It's incredible.

Cliffy
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint! Flat black paint! Lot's of it. And clear the things out you know you wont use, or will be in the way. A good start and motivator; my thoughts. Once you get started with painting and carpet, there's no turning back.

Have a CRT Forum Meet and workshop Laughing ??? I'd be there; you supply the tools and beer.

Also, I guess you don't need any help with speakers... 8)

wallace

overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
Paint! Flat black paint! Lot's of it. And clear the things out you know you wont use, or will be in the way. A good start and motivator; my thoughts. Once you get started with painting and carpet, there's no turning back.

Have a CRT Forum Meet and workshop Laughing ??? I'd be there; you supply the tools and beer.

wallace

Are we making a trip to Canada big dog? Mr. Green
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I sugest Benjamine Moore Flat black celing paint for the celing? It's a 3 step process but my celing turned out looking great! Very high quality paint. Available from Rona.

See my thread here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45577

Excerpt:
AnalogRocks wrote:

1./ Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Primer #23 00 (tinted lite grey )

2./Benjamin Moore Collection FISRT COAT Color Foundation Deep Base. Interior Acrylic Laytex Enamal
# 216 04 (tinted medium grey)

3./ Benjamin Moore Collection FLAT Black 215 80 Interior Acrylic Laytex
very thick.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to disagree, but flat black is gawdawful ugly. It makes people think that pagan rituals, or dracula lives in the room.

Go to a dark color, like "pony brown" or Dark blue, in a flat paint. It makes the room much more livable.

Get a nice dark carpet, and ditch the wall unit you can do a lot better w/ the space.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I would so hit that.

Cliff
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think color-wise I'll go with dark blue or gray. The rest of the house has varying shades of brown/green/taupe, so something else in the HT will offset the house nicely.

I'm telling you, changing the speakers 2 days ago made a BIG difference. I actually watched another movie (ConAir) last night..
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, as you know Curt, light is an issue in my place and i think that you'll have the same problem. so i'dd address all that windows with, how did you put it? "cheap blinds". i know a guy in bby that runs a small blind company, i can get you his name. i'm replacing all the vanes in my verticals.

i didn't go for a "theatre" i went for a room where i can read, or listen to music or visit with the parents. so i have a bunch of things that don't work for a "theatre". what i'm trying to say is do you want to enjoy the room in the light or in the dark Smile i have a plan to extend the house back and make a true theatre, but it's fighting with my plan to go live in the woods off the grid.

i think that the grey/dark blue with rock (dark blue on ceiling). i can't remember whose theatre on this groups uses a mottled wall pattern, but that's always fun. i used a "venetian plaster" that after 2 years i can finally aply (i had talented freinds do it before) but don't follow my lead. this stuff contains marble in the mix and has a shine. bad zaphod.

i really like the look of the hush box that cliff has. just awesome. that whole underhung ledge works well.

for seating, i like the small sofa that i have, but i've never really relaxed in a chair, i like sofas. if you can get a small sofa/large sofa combo then put the small one in back to make room for the door. i'm trying to find a upholstery guy who can put cup holders in the arms of a finished sofa. no luck so far.

little things that i have really really enjoyed in the room.

cable management - get them in the wall or ceiling. it's worth it.
    IR remote extender - radio source for $70 or so
    X-10 lights - b5sheriden on ebay is the cheapest seller i have found a a great guy
    universal remote - you have the creston, i use the harmony. harmony is starting to falter under it's own success
    snap disk to auto control the fan in the hush box, or wire the fan into an X10 circuit

PS. good news about the reel2reel... thanks
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reel to reel is done, give me a shout late this afternoon.

My concern with some blinds is that they will rattle. I'm not quite at the level of bass that Cliff is, but with 3X 12" Tannoy subs, they can rock pretty hard..Smile I also want the curtains to act as sound absorbing material. THe room has some reverberation, specifically in the midrange area. Sounds like there's a peak somewhere in the mids, although with the new speakers it's not as bad as it used to be.

IR extender- already in. All wiring is already in the walls. Crestron- yeah, this will be the ultimate in control, I just need to get it up and running..Smile
madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make some bass traps post haste.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,

There's a fireplace in the room? What's the plan there? Is there any other room available? Don't get me wrong it could be cool (or warm) but it would have to be darker and untimately off if you wanted no distractions from the video.

My theater is pretty minimalist.. the dark paint and carpet does help a lot to let you get more punch from the video image.

-Brian
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
The reel to reel is done, give me a shout late this afternoon.

cool, the parents are in town so i might not make it this afternoon Smile

Curt wrote:
My concern with some blinds is that they will rattle. I'm not quite at the level of bass that Cliff is, but with 3X 12" Tannoy subs, they can rock pretty hard..Smile I also want the curtains to act as sound absorbing material.

yeah, with relatives this weekend i put on Monsters Inc. for the kiddlets and set it at a reasonable level. much lower than i listen to. that little sub of mine (3 x 8") really moves the house. if i liked the neighbours i'd do some outside tests Smile

as for blinds, i HATE the plastic or metal blinds - verticals or horizontals - so i go with cloth verticals. no rattle in them. took me 6 months to find blackout blinds in a non-plastic format. and the differece between them and the window is marked so there must be some sort of absorbtion even though they are not the insulated type of blind.

of course the curtains that cliffy has across his doorway look cool too. i like the wrought iron curtain rod too. when i rip out the walls in my front door entrance i'm going to need a door into the HT room. i have been thinking that a heavy slab slider using the same hardware as a barn door would work, but the curtains and curtain rod at cliff's place look pretty good.
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
wallace123456 wrote:

wallace

Are we making a trip to Canada big dog? Mr. Green

Ok, now it's officially a party!!! Let's go!! I promise I'll stay awake to make the hottie midget bar this time, Canada style (whatever the hell that means Shocked ).

Curt should have some good sopts to hit.

wallace

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
I hate to disagree, but flat black is gawdawful ugly. It makes people think that pagan rituals, or dracula lives in the room.

Go to a dark color, like "pony brown" or Dark blue, in a flat paint. It makes the room much more livable.

Get a nice dark carpet, and ditch the wall unit you can do a lot better w/ the space.

Them's fightin wurds sar! lol

I'm a huge paint it all black fan. I blacked out my work trucks, I'm blacking out my 1968 Charger, so why not black out my celing?
In the car world flat black is called suede. Think '49 Merc lead sled.
Everybody that has seen it loves it. I didn't get a single "Ummm uhhh interesting" type comment. So Razz Ffffftttt on you. For the back wall I'm going to use Ralph Lauren Suede paint, not quite black but very close.

My only purpose for this room when it's done will be movie watching and game playing. So black it is.

Only problem is it's easy to mar the finish. However it touches up so well you can't find the touch up when you're done.

I agree on ditching the wall unit. It's kinda large and closed in. Mine's (yep ) black with black and some more black Thumbs Up

For the walls blue would have been my 2nd choice.

What's wrong with having dracula visit? I had him visit last August, he was a little shy though, never did materialize in human forum. Just kept doing laps.

P.S. I hate brown.
BTW Nice avatar, I like the different pose.

Dracula.jpg
 Description:
He couldn't settle down, he was hating the brown.
 Filesize:  124.09 KB
 Viewed:  14907 Time(s)

Dracula.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another room? Hell no, that's the one. Wall unit- it probably has to stay. It nicely holds my VHS (!) tapes and DVDs and other crap in there. I like the color of it, and the backlighting is very cool once it's on a dimmer. I've always liked teak..

Black, blue, gray, brown. Undecided, but in this house, I make the f*cking decisions, there is no WAF!!!

Hahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!Very Happy
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Another room? Hell no, that's the one. Wall unit- it probably has to stay. It nicely holds my VHS (!) tapes and DVDs and other crap in there. I like the color of it, and the backlighting is very cool once it's on a dimmer. I've always liked teak..

Black, blue, gray, brown. Undecided, but in this house, I make the f*cking decisions, there is no WAF!!!

Hahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!Very Happy

Um, no, you damn Canadian, it's:

Muwhahahahahahahahhahahahahaha! Mr. Green

Lucky bastard!

Cliffy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: