Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

S-Video Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill913

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: S-Video Cable Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am new to the forum and have a basic question. I need to run a S-video cable about 28 ft. I have been told that this is to long for svideo and was wanting to know if this is true and if so is there a solution. Thanks for any help.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run it that far if it is made from high quality mini coax. If you want to be sure, you can use s-video breakout adapters so that full size coax carry the signal. Both are available here:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/svideo/index.htm

Also, why do you want to run s-video that far? Please, for the love of god tell me it is not to hook to your CRT PJ.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

Also, why do you want to run s-video that far? Please, for the love of god tell me it is not to hook to your CRT PJ.

its obviously to hook up the LD player. makes it easier to hug the player if you have it on the sofa beside you.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
Person99 wrote:

its obviously to hook up the LD player. makes it easier to hug the player if you have it on the sofa beside you.

Man, I have been working alot (weekends, some nights 'til after midnight, etc) and am beat. Thanks for the best laugh I've had this week. Thumbs Up

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Man, I have been working alot (weekends, some nights 'til after midnight, etc) and am beat. Thanks for the best laugh I've had this week. Thumbs Up

Good Lord, we're playing well together. Don't tell Dad. Mr. Green

have a good weekend.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Man, I have been working alot (weekends, some nights 'til after midnight, etc) and am beat.

You'd probably get home sooner if you stopped posting so much on the forum.... Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Person99 wrote:
Man, I have been working alot (weekends, some nights 'til after midnight, etc) and am beat.

You'd probably get home sooner if you stopped posting so much on the forum.... Wink

Kal

Yeah, I would. But, posting is my only "break". I even eat lunch in front of the computer working. But yes, I'm starting to post less and shorter. Look, Pete just bagged on me for my super abbreviated review of the Fury.

JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule, the shorter the cables, be it audio or video, the less likely you'll introduce unwanted artifacts or abberations. A good solid method that doesn't cost a ton of money and provides you with the absolute best results over long runs, compared to an ubber long S-vid cable, are baluns. You have to have a sender and a receiver and they are cabled together via inexpensive CAT5 cable.

I'm using these to feed the 17" LCD monitor in the bathroom outside my HT. For what I'm using it for, the quality is quite good.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/317095.html

Another alternative is a video/audio sender/receiver pair from Radio Shack or directly from X10.com. The problem with these is that basements are electronically noisy places and the received results aren't always the greatest...at least my basement is noisy that way.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:

I'm using these to feed the 17" LCD monitor in the bathroom outside my HT. For what I'm using it for, the quality is quite good.

Greg

i've thought about that too. that way someone's bladder doesn't make the rest of us wait. i figure that the sound in the HT is loud enough to not need speakers around the corner, but seeing the picture around the corner is a no go. driving the 40' will probably require baluns, thanks for the link.

one of my worries is moisture. that bathroom has a shower making it a moist place sometimes.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
JustGreg wrote:

Greg

i've thought about that too. that way someone's bladder doesn't make the rest of us wait. i figure that the sound in the HT is loud enough to not need speakers around the corner, but seeing the picture around the corner is a no go. driving the 40' will probably require baluns, thanks for the link.

You are probably no going for impecable image quality in that room. Smile I've thought of doing the same and I was just going to run stereo analog audio to it. So, they would hear what they needed to.

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
seeing the picture around the corner is a no go.

Awwww, some strategically placed mirrors would do the trick Wink
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
JustGreg wrote:

Greg

one of my worries is moisture. that bathroom has a shower making it a moist place sometimes.

The display I'm using is actually for RV/Van/etc use so it's made pretty rugged. The only thing I had to do was take it all apart and reverse the display in relation to the main body so that it no longer has to flip down. It's just one "solid" piece now. The bathroom I use it in has a shower too but it's never used.

And seeing as I'm getting stereo sound over the baluns anyway, I mounted some old Lineum bookshelfs I had from a Rat Shack stereo system and am feeding them with a subwoofer amp from a computer I had eons ago. The "ugly" part of the arrangement is all inside a small linen closet on the top shelf. The outter wall to the linen closet has the monitor mounted on it with a small, 1" hole to feed it. The wires for the speakers are up in the suspended ceiling.

The hardest part of the whole thing was figuring out where to mount the monitor so both sexes could see it whilst, well, using the facilities. Laughing

But you're right....nothing worse than stopping the movie a lot out of respect for those with acorn sized bladders (my wife!).

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
zaphod wrote:
JustGreg wrote:

Greg

You are probably no going for impecable image quality in that room. Smile I've thought of doing the same and I was just going to run stereo analog audio to it. So, they would hear what they needed to.

The image actually looks surprisingly good...well, once I unscrewed every other 60w bulb in the light bar over the top of the vanity. Shocked I was given the flip down 17-ish" display NIB which retails for around $500, so putting a coupla bucks into making it work was an easy decision. It gets the nice oooooh response too. Embarassed

Greg

Bill913

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much to everyone that replied to my question, I think
Bulejeans has a good solution. And, no I am not feeding my projector this way. I use RGB for the projector which is a NEC 6PG Extra connected to a NEC LD200. Does anyone have a suggestion for scaler that would give me 1080I that doesn't cost a fortune? Again thanks for the help.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill913 wrote:
Thanks much to everyone that replied to my question, I think
Bulejeans has a good solution. And, no I am not feeding my projector this way. I use RGB for the projector which is a NEC 6PG Extra connected to a NEC LD200. Does anyone have a suggestion for scaler that would give me 1080I that doesn't cost a fortune? Again thanks for the help.

What do you need to scale. Pretty much every source will do 1080i now. So, you have your HD cable doing 1080i, your HD DVD and/or BD doing 1080i, and you can use an HD DVD player or good upscaling DVD player to do 1080i. If you are scaling something else, you might need one. Gefen has some solutions which are under $400 though not as high quality as a used Lumagen that you could get for around $800.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: