Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT vs Digital 2022 5-10k budget JVC ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: CRT vs Digital 2022 5-10k budget JVC ? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys, I know from time to time someone asks this but I really need feedback from people that have CRT or have had CRT recently. I have been waiting for my basement to be done for 10 years. In 2012 I had a Barco Cine7(still have it) and it looked great. It was dialed in perfect and I was happy with the output. It was 110" screen and 100% light controlled mainly dark walled room.
I have a Epson 3xxx 1080p LCD projector in my current dining room and it is OK. The ceiling is white and most of the walls so I can't fault it entirely as the room is not meant for HT. I don't like the contrast but it is a 7 year old model or so, it was calibrated by a ISF tech. It does not pop like a CRT and I think it is due to ANSI contrast being low. It is bright though.

In this situation what is a 5-10k JVC going to probably look like vs a decent CRT projector? I was considering getting one of those Barco 909's that Curt had for sale but I am not sure that 250 pounds on the ceiling was a good idea in the end.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT vs Digital 2022 5-10k budget JVC ? Reply with quote

virusc wrote:
I have a Epson 3xxx 1080p LCD projector in my current dining room and it is OK. The ceiling is white and most of the walls so I can't fault it entirely as the room is not meant for HT. I don't like the contrast but it is a 7 year old model or so, it was calibrated by a ISF tech. It does not pop like a CRT and I think it is due to ANSI contrast being low. It is bright though.

Epson Powerlight Home Cinema 3020 released in 2012 maybe? $1350 MSRP or so.

White walls/ceiling will destroy contrast ratio on any projector (CRT too) and that LCD based Epson isn't known for great black levels or contrast ratio. It's known for brightness, a projector to use in the living room where image quality isn't paramount.

Quote:
In this situation what is a 5-10k JVC going to probably look like vs a decent CRT projector?

IMHO, a late model JVC (LCoS technology, not LCD or DLP) is going to look better than any CRT in most aspects and be able to do things like Rec.2020. More: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=486476#486476

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT vs Digital 2022 5-10k budget JVC ? Reply with quote

kal wrote:
IMHO, a late model JVC (LCoS technology, not LCD or DLP) is going to look better than any CRT in most aspects and be able to do things like Rec.2020.

virusc, that's what I did. 4+ years ago I replaced my color-filtered Marquee 8500 with a used JVC RS-45. $800 with a low-hour bulb and a spare.

I'd been fighting with the 8500 for years, trying to get it performing like it should, but the picture was always suboptimal. E.g. there was very little noticeable difference between SD DVDs and HD Blurays -- it just couldn't resolve it. Dragan (one of our Ehome experts here) looked at it and he couldn't figure the problem either.

And the RS-45 blew it out of the water. Set it on its shelf, hook it up, turn it on, focus -- fabulous picture. Better image than I'd ever had on any of the 4-5 CRTs I owned, **especially** the inter-scene contrast brightness &etc.

Awesome deal for $800. Now you can get an RS-46 (next generation) for about what I paid for my RS-45. Kal probably knows other JVC models that are better for your price range. Whatever you get, I bet it'll utterly obliterate your Epson. (But the white walls are still going to kill your contrast... Same with outdoor light unless you have opaque shades.)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the $5-10K range consider:

JVC NX7: $9000 USD, lamp based, 2019 model
JVC NX5: $6000 USD, lamp based, 2019 model

Or their newest laser based one that fits in the range:

JVC NZ7: $10,000 USD MSRP (just out)

All native 4K.
All MSRP, so street price will be lower.
Lots of used options of course like Gary mentioned.

Still happy with my JVC RS56 from 2013 (1080p "only"). On my fourth bulb. Just over 9000 hours total. No plans on changing it out at this time.

Kal

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT vs Digital 2022 5-10k budget JVC ? Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Awesome deal for $800. Now you can get an RS-46 (next generation) for about what I paid for my RS-45. Kal probably knows other JVC models that are better for your price range. Whatever you get, I bet it'll utterly obliterate your Epson. (But the white walls are still going to kill your contrast... Same with outdoor light unless you have opaque shades.)

This is where I'm at. I bought a Sanyo Z2000 from Jeremy112 here back in 2017. Good projector. Very good gaming actually (only 14 ms of lag). We don't game on the projector any more - that's what our Plasma TV is for! Very Happy Am wanting to finally get a good projector with good blacks and enjoy that big picture the way it's meant to be. I will probably end up going with an RS-46 or so.
Zolzar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an RS40 about 4 years ago. I’ve been through a few ECPs an 8500 and the last CRT I had was the mighty PG10. I’m very happy with my RS40 paired with a Lumagen Radiance XE3D. Fully calibrated the RS40 is excellent. However I would not recommend this projector. These have ballast issues. I replaced the ballast after about a year of use and it’s been fine since. You can definitely find a newer JVC at a very reasonable cost and you will be delighted with the performance.
Dancrt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I just be werid ahahha
I’ve tried
lcd nec gt6000
Jvc x55re 4K
Sony sxrd older modle probably 2011 ish
Sony d50 crt
Barco 909

The nec lcd is great for half lit up rooms 6000 lumans
Worked ok bad screen door effect terrible with lights turned off

Sony sxrd bad motion resolution bad blacks (maybe panel degradation)

Sony d50 bad blues soft picture but not too bad with moome card 1080i

Jvc x55re very good blacks ok motion over all not too bad better than the Sony d50

Barco 909 first setup the jvc was better fully readjusting pushing tubes
To the max and max in tube gain
Best blacks
Best colour
Goood sharpness
Looks like the best picture ever

The jvc to me looks over sharp the 909 crt is say is approx 30% better
If I had to give a score of 100
Nec 30/100
Sony sxrd 30/100
Sony d50 50/100
X55re 70/100
909 100% best I’ve ever seen

I’ve seen a $60,000 sony probably laser projector at local home cinema shop
That was was better than my barco probably 30% better agin
But price

What you end up doing ?
My plan was jvc everyday use barco every now and then
But I end up useing barco 100% because there is just something I don’t like in the jvc
In comparison I think it’s the motion is so much better on the crt
virusc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Also I am looking at the new epson 12000 I think it is called for $5k that has a laser light source. I think I will still mount my Barco CRT to the ceiling and get a new projector and run both. I also have a electohome 8500 non ultra I think it is in a crate in my garage I have not tested yet. I got it for $100 locally and was told it was not used much and was installed by a home theater company. It is not LC though.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still projecting with my Barco 909 although the whole HT is in a makeover so in the meantime I use my 60" plasma Smile

My assumption for many years now is that 4k is nothing more than a way of HiDPI anti alias filtering. You have to understand some digital mathematics to appreciate how oversampling shifts the aliases away in the frequency spectrum. In normal language, the pixel edges are rounded in the picture.

Now from mathematics back to this world. I was having problems with Apple when they stopped anti aliasing OSX. On a 1080p monitor all characters looked awful. The only solution was to buy a 4k monitor. But I do not want 4k monitors because they have bad frequency spectra and the pixels are to small burning retina cells away especially in the blue and the spectrum is too narrow to make the pupils protect the eye. So in short it is giving me headaches and my eyesight is going bad with possible macular degeneration, painful to my eyes.

Ok so what did I try? I connected my new Apple OSX (everything after High Sierra) to my kuro plasma tv and there was no more aliasing problem. Because the plasma dot is like a mathematic Gaussian high frequency filter it does perfect anti aliasing and characters looked sharp again, no pixel edges. I even tried a lower than 1080p HiDPI setting (960x540) on my 60" 1080p plasma and that looks the best I have seen. When I compare with 4k television I see some small details less perhaps (old eyes Smile) but the same smooth filtered 4k picture overall. But with much better contrast and no pain in my head. So I am sticking to it for now. (Edit: now trying 720p 150%HiDPI wow Smile With a gamma of 2.3 on my Mac that matches the kuro it is perfect!)

So what I am saying is 4k solves a pixel problem that only led/lcd equipment have. This is just a perspective to this pixel war from my side. Try it yourself Smile

On the computer side I switched to Windows with a 1440p (on 150% zoom setting) monitor with edge lid lcd. Works nice Wink

Last edited by redfox001 on Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dancrt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redfox you have reminded me I tried a hd fury diva for HdR
Conversation it didn’t work (Panasonic ub9000 does great job too sdr)
The diva Did however take 4K and downscales to 1080p
But on crt 909 barco anyway looks over sharp with pixel edges
I tried lots of different settings and it was just not pleasant
So the whole mathematician stuff I see your point.
Pixel edges Appearing everywhere !
Panasonic ub9000 4K-1080sdr looks perfect
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I wanted to address is that even on a 1080p screen presenting it with source material at halve the resolution and letting it upscale by multiplying with 2 makes a better way of anti aliasing and that is what we witness in retina screens from Apple. But it is not the number of pixels that makes retina, it is the anti aliasing that causes this smooth window like view. I do not miss any details on my 60 inch on a few meters away compared to 4k.

For my Barco I might try 1440p and presenting it 1080p material at a 150% ratio that Windows nails perfectly. Windows uses more advanced anti aliasing than Apple. Apple forces you to buy retina like screens. Another way to look at this is that first you draw a 4k virtual picture in memory from the 1080p material HiDPI and than I think they delete random pixels introducing non disturbing noise. Your brain will filter it.

To add to my story, that is why a Macbook with 13 inch does not need 4k but 3200×1800 to be retina or HiDPI. So depending on your eyes you might settle for something less than 4k and not miss anything Wink

Found this side as some explanation.
https://medium.com/elementaryos/hidpi-is-more-important-than-4k-b1b9bb110b43

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT vs Digital 2022 5-10k budget JVC ? Reply with quote

virusc wrote:
Guys, I know from time to time someone asks this but I really need feedback from people that have CRT or have had CRT recently. I have been waiting for my basement to be done for 10 years. In 2012 I had a Barco Cine7(still have it) and it looked great. It was dialed in perfect and I was happy with the output. It was 110" screen and 100% light controlled mainly dark walled room.

In this situation what is a 5-10k JVC going to probably look like vs a decent CRT projector? I was considering getting one of those Barco 909's that Curt had for sale but I am not sure that 250 pounds on the ceiling was a good idea in the end.

I made the move to digital 3 years ago when my Sony 1252 failed and I just didn't have the desire to find out which component died and if i could find that component if I knew what wasn't working. If it had to come off the ceiling to repair it was not going back up.

I had the Sony for well over 10 years and it worked well and put up a ok image on a 92" screen. I bought NOS tubes from Curt and retubed it. That was a fun project and it upped the brightness and clarity but it was still 720p and I never was wowed by the image like I thought I would after re-tubing. I also was not willing to settle for 1080p on a 9" machine and have to go through the painful setup required. As CRT was well into its twilight years the choice was simple-it was time to move on.

I bought a JVC NX7 4k LCOS and a Stewart 110" Studiotek130 screen and haven't looked back. There are aspects of CRT that the JVC can't do such as seamless motion. I haven't felt though that is an issue with my viewing. Blacks on the otherhand are very good and 4k HDR content is outstanding! And it is practically silent in low power mode. The Sony was was outragiuosly loud.

Setup is a breeze and I while quite large for a digital projector it still is only 45lbs and I was able to hang it from my ceiling by myself. It has all glass optics that sets it apart from sub $5k units and it shows. It was the best move for me and I have zero regrets. You could check out the new Sony lazer pjs that were just released. That gets you a 20,000 hour lamp life versus the 4500 hours on the JVC models. I haven't seen one yet so I can't comment on which I would choose had I a choice to pick. Good luck in your search.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the JVC NX7 Audio_Geek! It's what I'd probably be buying if for some reason I needed to replace my JVC today.

Kal

Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Congrats on the JVC NX7 Audio_Geek! It's what I'd probably be buying if for some reason I needed to replace my JVC today.

Kal

Thanks Kal. It is a joy to watch. Your re getting your moneys worth on your pj, thats for sure. Just don't go see the JVC or Sonys pj's unless your ready to pull the trigger:)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the #1 rule with any tech purchases! Once you buy, stop looking, otherwise you'll never be happy.

Kal

Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That's the #1 rule with any tech purchases! Once you buy, stop looking, otherwise you'll never be happy.

Kal

Thats definitely true. I found out long ago as a new reveiwer recieving equipment to review that was better than what I had was profoundly impactful Shocked And it wasn't until I sent that component back that I realized how much better it was than what I had Crying or Very sad
I was able to buy at accomodation prices from the manufactureres, use the components for a while and make a small profit selling them when a review piece came along that I liked better than what I had. That was a 8 year journey that resulted in a good audio setup.
That was not the case for video. I didn't have the video expertise to review those components so no accomodation prices for me there. I am just another consumer. The dead Sony kept me going until it didn't.
The JVC now gets my system in par with my audio. It was a long time coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: