Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HTPCs vs 'APPLIANCES'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliverg

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: HTPCs vs 'APPLIANCES' Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This may cause a stir!

I have a HTPC setup - a really nice PC with an 8800GTX video card and Vista.

I also have a PS3/Blueray and a nice high end progressive scan DVD player.

I've just had a Barco 1209S that I had to give back and now I'm buying a 1209 off Curt.

I personally don't like the PC's video vs the video I get from the 'appliances'. Is it just me or is the HTPC setups in general unable to keep up with really good dedicated equipment?

Are people out there TRULY happy with their HTPC setups (is my 'purist' mindset clouding my subjective judgement as to what I am seeing??) or if push came to shove, would you prefer to have a 'high end' (eg an ES series Sony) BlueRay player inputting into a really nice Farujeda 1080p capable processor (budget allowing).

I'm really facinated to know! Smile

Kind regards
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a case of hardware versus software, and the leapfrog game they play. At this point in time, hardware is ahead.

I am truly happy with my hybrid htpc dvd scaling solution. SDI'ed RP82 into Immersive Holo3Dgraph card, outputted by a MP-1 5BNC Radon 9800. This is the most appliance like htpc I have seen.

I don't think current htpc hardware is "ready for prime time" for high definition. The 8600 looked attractive enough, until I found out it was NOT powerstrip compatible. And no way to output high definition soundtracks.

For wav file playback, a htpc can be truly high end sound, with the right gear.

I find the addition of Bluray and HD DVD is really having an expensive effect on my av rack, trying to resort it all out. I just added a PS3 and love it, but my preamp has no hdmi input for high resolution soundtracks. So maybe the preamp goes (costly), and now I have no scaler for high defintion. I am hopeful the 1209S with a HDFury is good enough, with the PS3.

I wonder if there is one affordable solution that covers all bases nicely? I am hopeful that someone comes out with a hdmi sound breakout box with 7.1 analog output.
madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And no way to output high definition soundtracks"

Sure there is... analog outs. Works just fine Smile The panny BD10a will retail at $599 and might be found as low as $525. It's got analog outs and is a superb player. Combine it with an XA2 (also has analogs, is a great player, and upscaled SD DVDs like a champ) for somewhere int he $500 range and you're honestly doing better than most HTPCs. I love my HTPC hybrid player, but it was hellishly expensive when I built it and is still quirky.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know analog works as I have an A1. I just hadn't seen that player yet. Nice to know. Thanks!

But it does serve to illustrate my comments about a constantly revolving av rack involving high definition. Smile This could be an interesting upgrade. Sell 2 week old 20G PS3, buy a BD10a, sell HD-A1, buy HD-AX2, BUT I get to keep my existing preamp (big savings there!). And then sell off all the hd-htpc parts.....

...so when did you say the BD10A is out??????? Smile
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:
I am truly happy with my hybrid htpc dvd scaling solution. SDI'ed RP82 into Immersive Holo3Dgraph card, outputted by a MP-1 5BNC Radon 9800. This is the most appliance like htpc I have seen.

No offense Tedd, but your HTPC is years behind what's going on right now. I'm running an overclocked E6600 to take advantage of the current sharpen filters (Limited Sharpen Faster) and scaling available using TheaterTek and FFDShow. I wouldn't say my HTPC upscales SD DVD a lot better than an HD-DVD player (they do an amazing job), but it does look better. Plus, I can rip DVDs to hard drives, which is the main reason I own an HTPC.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my HTPC to play and rip HD-DVDs and get rid of my HD-A1. It will cost more to upgrade my HTPC than a brand new HD-A2 cost, and I imagine it won't play them any better, but I'll be able to rip HD-DVDs, and that will make it all worth while. Smile
madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember Phil... it's picky. Powerdvd 7.3 can require you to edit the files from ripped HD DVDs so they don't hang on the menu.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madpoet wrote:
Just remember Phil... it's picky. Powerdvd 7.3 can require you to edit the files from ripped HD DVDs so they don't hang on the menu.

That's nothing, that is standard HTPC "user friendliness". Razz

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I had a VERY easy integratred setup for SD DVD. Cover art, auto slot selection, touchscreen interface. My 4 year old could use it.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I've seen FFdshow and TT and I'm not convinced it's light years ahead of what I already have. It is maybe a generation improved, but is it worth the step up, (considering expense) when I am going Bluray and HD DVD exclusively? To me, no. Not even when there is 90% of an overclocked E4300/GTS 8600 system in parts sitting around already... (BTW, I believe one can run one FFdshow filter with the H3D II, if memory serves correct, and I could always upgrade the video card.)

My year old A1 will be upgraded to an AX2, and it looks like a BP10a will replace the PS3. Htpc will be limited to music with a 15" tououchscreen.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd,

There are a million different ways to setup and use FFDshow. What my HTPC looked like a year ago running TT and FFDShow (before I upgrading to much faster everything), and what it looks like now is night and day difference, because now I can run much more CPU intensive filters in FFDShow. Unless you've seen a well set up, fast HTPC, running Limited Sharpen Faster or Seesaw with aggressive settings, you haven't seen what is possible now days. What you've seen and what I have are probably two entirely different things.

I barely have enough CPU speed to handle my current FFDShow settings, and I have a lot of CPU horsepower. I could still improve on what I have if I had more processing power, but since I'm switching over to HD-DVD, I'm not sure I need it.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madpoet wrote:
Mad,

Damn, you had to bust my bubble! Wink How often do you have to edit a ripped HD-DVD, and how much trouble is it?
madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often? Eh, maybe one out of every three Smile How hard is it? Not particularly, you can just rip out all the stuff you don't need. It can take som hunting and pecking though to find the problem spots.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mad, that sounds like a pain in the ass. I guess one 1 out of 3 isn't so bad though. Hopefully SlySoft will fix that at some point.

My plan is to rent HD-DVD movies online and rent SD DVDs at my local Blockbuster store. I can get 3 HD and 3 SD movies (6 total) a week this way for $20 a month. That's why I like HTPCs. What I spend on my HTPC and hard drives, I more than make up for in movie costs savings.
oliverg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PQ aside, there is something to be said for having 6 terrabyte drives in RAID5.

Storage Plus!

madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAID5 is for wusses, go RAID4 Smile I love my unRaid system.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HTPCs vs 'APPLIANCES' Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:

Are people out there TRULY happy with their HTPC setups (is my 'purist' mindset clouding my subjective judgement as to what I am seeing??) or if push came to shove, would you prefer to have a 'high end' (eg an ES series Sony) BlueRay player inputting into a really nice Farujeda 1080p capable processor (budget allowing).

From what I've seen, many of the HTPC lovers think they are better than they are and have not really compared them to hardware solutions.

You have also hit on their Achilles heel--the inability to process other sources. As upscaling DVD players they were problematic but had very good performance. In an HD world their inability to process other sources makes them overpriced dinosaurs. I think the day of the HTPC was two years ago. It may rise again if and when it can be your only source, but until then, the are VERY high priced for their limited functionality vis a vis a sophisticated home theater.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madpoet wrote:
"And no way to output high definition soundtracks"

Sure there is... analog outs. Works just fine Smile The panny BD10a will retail at $599 and might be found as low as $525. It's got analog outs and is a superb player. Combine it with an XA2 (also has analogs, is a great player, and upscaled SD DVDs like a champ) for somewhere int he $500 range and you're honestly doing better than most HTPCs. I love my HTPC hybrid player, but it was hellishly expensive when I built it and is still quirky.

How are you switching between the two sets of analog 5.1 cables? The one problem with this solution is that I've yet to see any receivers or preamps that have more than one 5.1 set of analog inputs.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTPC is the cheapest, most flexible way to get playback at a multiple of 24fps/25fps with custom res's. And you can rip a media library, skip warnings and play games.

Process external sources? What external sources? The PC does everything here in Oz except Foxtel, which looks like crap and isn't worth the bother.

Kal, one way to switch analogue 5.1 is to use a pair of component video switches.

Or just have one source - the PC.
Axatax

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G70Q (aka Barco Cine8 Onyx)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both devices have their place. With a good HTPC, you're at the top of the heap for DVD performance and timeshifting.

The big issue with the HTPC is lack of options for interfacing external HD devices. This is mostly a philosophical issue, and depends on what you consider the job of an "HTPC" to be (it is an open-ended acronym). Do you need DVD playback, a media server, automation controller, jukebox, etc. It can perform all these roles very well.
oliverg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxtel isn't that bad. Its hell better than analogue FTA, that's for sure!

Properly scaled, its quite acceptable.

Whilst I respect my HTPC, especially its ability to store content en masse - I would hate to have it as a primary/singular content delivery mechanism. Even with my high end video cards (8800GTXs) I find DVD, HD-DVD washed out and the whites and blacks crushed.

I've spent months calibrating it - I'm very I.T. competent having been an IT professional since 1980 in the old Apple II/midrange days. (yes, I remember what an acoustic coupler is!) I actually made a post about this topic on AVF and had this one guy tell me I 'obviously didn't know what I was doing' and being 'IT compentent is far from being a HTPC master' (I chuckled at that) but if it was to come to a 'HTPC off' between a 'htpc master's HTPC' and an appliance, I'm not convinced the high end appliance with a high end scaler wouldn't come out on top. The HTPC might even come a close second -but I honestly doubt 'first'. (I'm talking about PQ, not features)

Does this mean there's no place for a HTPC? Obviously not. Is the PQ acceptable? Absolutely. But as Axatax just mentioned - this is almost a philosophical issue. As a media server and a cheap way to scale, the HTPC definately has a valuable position in our HT arsenal.

Kind regards

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: