Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ok, embarking on a HT project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pratticus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Ok, embarking on a HT project. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forums, and I'm happy to see all the knowledgeable folks here.

I have a spare bedroom that I'm considering converting into a theatre.

I do not yet have a projector, but one possibility is an NEC PG6.

The measurements for the room are 13'6" x 11'9" x 9' high.

I've got quite a few questions, but let's start off with where should my projector be in the room. I'm considering somehow suspending the projector at mid-height of the final image location to eliminate as much distortion as possible.

Thanks in advance.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Your room is a good size for a small theater.

Can you elaborate on what you mean buy suspending the projector mid-height of the final image? Do you plan on celing mounting it or is floor mounting better for you? You could also try a cart if you're not up to the whole celing mounting thing.
That's what I did. It's tall enough to projecto over the top of the seated people.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=293

By the way. You won't get distortion floor or celing mounting it. You will use a little less tube area because you have to have a trapazoid shape on the tube face. I cheated and raised the back of my projector to make the tubes parallel to the screen. Very easy on the electronics. However so long as you have the projector mounted at the proper distance, whether celing, floor or table/cart you shouldn't have to worry about any distortion.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Pratticus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Analogrocks,

Well, the first thing that concerns me about the CRT PJs is the sheer weight.

For this reason, I think your idea of a cart might be better for my first jump into this arena.

What I meant about the height was, and maybe this is purely my lack of knowledge showing on the topic, that the way I see the phosphor being used in the tube would be optimal if the angle from the PJ to the projection surface is as close to 0 degrees as possible.

I guess they way I think of it is that if the PJ is above or below the vertical center of the image on the screen, the light projected through the tube would end up being trapezoidal in shape.

maybe I'm all wet - but that's why I'm here Very Happy

Ryan
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum,

Having the projector shooting straight at the screen will put less stress on the electronics and give you better focus but by adjusting lens flapping and using the keystone adjustment these issues can be solved.

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celing mounted is the most convenient. It's up and outta the way. I cart mounted mine because I can't celing mount here and the floor is out of the question.

A zero deg projection angle is what I am doing. It does indeed stress the electronics less but that's not usually a worry unless you have the projector mounted in the wrong place in relation to the screen.

If you mount it right it won't fall down. If your that paranoid you could always add a set of saftey chains just in case but again you won't need them if it's mounted right.

Pratticus wrote:
Hi Analogrocks,

Well, the first thing that concerns me about the CRT PJs is the sheer weight.

For this reason, I think your idea of a cart might be better for my first jump into this arena.

What I meant about the height was, and maybe this is purely my lack of knowledge showing on the topic, that the way I see the phosphor being used in the tube would be optimal if the angle from the PJ to the projection surface is as close to 0 degrees as possible.

I guess they way I think of it is that if the PJ is above or below the vertical center of the image on the screen, the light projected through the tube would end up being trapezoidal in shape.

maybe I'm all wet - but that's why I'm here Very Happy

Ryan

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: