Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

House wiring/grounding and noise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: House wiring/grounding and noise. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been having an ongoing problem with my HT room/pj.
When I MUTE the picture the rasters are still lit...at first I thought it was something in my video chain, I swapped pj's, DVD players, changed video cables, even sent my MP-5 in for a check-out, no luck the problem is else where...I can even disconnect the video feed from the pj and the lit rasters are still there.
I finally figured out what I must be seeing is noise coming in on the pj, because sometimes this problem seems to be worse than others.
Looking at my ground wiring in this house, all the grounds are tied with the neutrals on the neutral buss.
Does this seem right??? I would think the grounds and neutrals should be seperate, with the neutrals tied into their buss, and the grounds going to a seperate "house" grounding rod.
What do you think?
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm completely missing the point, but in my experience rasters lit up with pic mute on/no source means G2 values set too high.

HTH,
Ben
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm completely missing the point, but in my experience rasters lit up with pic mute on/no source means G2 values set too high.

HTH,
Ben

and believe me, I've checked this over and over again.
XG G2 voltage is correctly set at 2.5 vdc +/- .1 vdc...and all three of mine or right-on at about 2.6vdc

Tonight I have found, that it doesn't seem to be a noise problem.
I have installed a 4 kw Isolation transformer, and lifted the ground to the pj (just for a quick test) the "brightness problem still exists.
I am exploring another idea based on something else I think I'm seeing...when the pj first fires up it seems to be ok, the first time I select the brightness adjustment, everything seems to brighten up...this may have to do with AKB. May need to take this into the crt forum now.
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had figured that you'd checked the G2, but I just wanted to make sure before you were heading off on a wild goose chase Very Happy

Best of luck solving your problem!

Ben
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you are located, KennyG, but in my neck of the woods, the Ontario Electrical Code REQUIRES the neutral and the ground to be connected together within the service panel, and then the panel is grounded to either a grounding rod, or more commonly in urban areas, the water line coming into the house, as long as the connection is on the street side of the meter.

The ground is actually a safety in case the neutral fails.

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck27 wrote:
I'm not sure where you are located, KennyG, but in my neck of the woods, the Ontario Electrical Code REQUIRES the neutral and the ground to be connected together within the service panel, and then the panel is grounded to either a grounding rod, or more commonly in urban areas, the water line coming into the house, as long as the connection is on the street side of the meter.

The ground is actually a safety in case the neutral fails.

Chuck

Same thing here in the states; neutral and ground MUST be tied together at the panel box.

wallace

dbaisey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny,
Your problem is AKB. When you first hit brightness it turns on AKB. This most likely just needs to be stored then it should be ok. Doug
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbaisey wrote:
Kenny,
Your problem is AKB. When you first hit brightness it turns on AKB. This most likely just needs to be stored then it should be ok. Doug

Doug, please meet me over in the crt forum Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: