Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Speaker newbie with some questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Mark_A_W wrote:
Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous Smile

I've never come across a DUAL 15" box with a horn in the middle.

They are ubiquitous in movie theaters.

Quote:
But a 6.5" driver used from ~50hz to ~2400hz is a midbass, even the manufacturers (what's left of them) call them that.

A driver used to reproduce 50 Hz is, by definition, a woofer. 50 Hz is bass. Woofers reproduce bass.

There are such things as 10" and 12" cone midranges. They have very short xmax and some have resonant frequencies above 100 Hz. These drivers are used up to 1KHz. No one calls them "midbasses." They are midranges.

"Midbass" is a frequency range. A driver tasked with only doing about 100 to 300~500 Hz is logicially called a "midbass driver."

There are 3" woofers. Aurasound, Tang Band, Vifa make such critters. A testament to that fact that they are woofers is their very low efficiency. A 3" piston with a 70 Hz resonant frequency and a .5 Qts is going to be off-the-map low in efficiency. Increase BL or mech Q or put more turns in the gap and suddenly the driver becomes 3~6 dB more voltage sensitive, but it will no longer have any significant bass bandwidth. Such a driver is called a midrange.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=840

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?keywords=peerless

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=9638469.29520&pid=136

Maybe it's an Australian thing, but I can come up with dozens of product listings and descriptions that refer to 3~6.5" drivers as woofers, not midbass drivers.

Have a good one!

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert nor do I claim to be, but as an interesting FYI, I googled "define:midbass" and this is what I got:
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Amidbass&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Also, I found several large speakers being identified as "midbass". Here is a 15":
http://www.rcf.it/vediMacro.phtml/lang/IT/IDMacro/2726/menuAttivo/2293/m1/1/m2/1/m3/1_1_0/LowFrequencyWoofer/Mid-BassMB15H401/product.htm

Since they consider a 40-2KHz range "midbass" it goes to support the upper definition to some degree.

The guys that make an $85,000 system seem to consider the frequency range of 60Hz-400Hz as the midbass range:
http://www.vonschweikert.com/zvr10.htm

Frankly, I'm not an expert in this field, but after my quick googling and reading I've come away with the impression that midbass starts somewhere around 40-60Hz and ends somewhere between 200 and 400 Hz.

Further, the term "midbass driver" seems to be used in two ways:
1) A driver that is only covering the midbass range (40-60 up to 200-400), or
2) A compbination midbass/midrange driver covering the midbass range and the midrange (up to somewhere between 2 kHz and 2.5 kHz). Thus a speaker doing 40-60Hz up to 2-2.5 kHz.

Like I said, I don't know anything, but that seems to be what the industry is saying. Smile

Again, I've got no dog in the fight.

Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, if you believe Bose, a stamped frame 6" speaker is a 'subwoofer...Very Happy
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "midbass," many people are probably referring to midrange-bass, meaning drivers that have extended response. For obvious reasons these tend to be small drivers.

The term "midbass" is more properly used when one is dividing the bass range with woofers purposed for only the subdivided ranges.

A small woofer that can run up to 2.5 KHz cleanly is still a woofer. The reason why most small woofers can reproduce upper midrange well is mostly a function of their small radiating diameter. Woofers become better and better at midrange frequency the smaller they get. This is nothing special. That is, will an average 5.25" woofer have good midrange performance? Almost certainly. It is redundant to point this out with a term "midbass." The defining feature of a small woofer is its bass ability, not its midrange ability, which is almost inevitable.

Now watch someone jump on me for discrediting driver designer efforts to maximize extended range out of small woofers, and that their midrange ability is no accident. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know all that, okay!

Or, what about those full range drivers! They reproduce bass all the way to treble! Still gonna call them woofers? Huh?

Please spare me such challenges!

mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Hell, if you believe Bose, a stamped frame 6" speaker is a 'subwoofer...Very Happy

No kidding! There sure are a lot of 8" and 10" "subwoofers" for home theater.

Steve

Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kinda surreal.

I'm going to go and stroke my midbasses, that's what they are. The are not woofers, and they are not midranges, they are midbasses. The term is ubiquitous.
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
This is kinda surreal.

I'm going to go and stroke my midbasses, that's what they are. The are not woofers, and they are not midranges, they are midbasses. The term is ubiquitous.

I guess you didn't go to any of the links I supplied earlier. Parts Express and Madisound, two of the biggest distributors in the US hardly use the term at all. They call them what they actually are: Woofers.

At the CES this past year, I had several discussions with driver OEMs and distributors. Don't recall any misunderstanding due to my failure to use this ubiquitous term of yours to describe woofers. None whatsoever.

Still don't understand why "midbass" is a misnomer and is redundant to describe the incidental bandwidth of a small woofer? Oh well.

Have fun with your "midbasses."

redcorvette_85

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lately I have been keeping an eye on craigs list for some decent used speakers at a good price to get me going on a starter set and haven't had a lot of luck finding something I like. So I took a look at Vancouver's craigs list yesterday(about a 2-3 hour drive) and they seem to have a lot more used paradigm speakers at better prices for sale than they do in Washington state. So my question is what do you guys think of the Paradigm SE series, there seem to be a lot of those for sale reasonably priced. I can tell they are the lower end of the line, but do they still sound pretty good? From what I saw I was thinking a pair of 9 or 7se's for fronts and and 3se's or atoms for the surrounds. Also what is the deal with bringing that kind of stuff back across the border? I am guessing there is some kind of tax or fee.
Thanks
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 3 are nice cheap speakers, not pretty,kind of black boxy and a little bulky but they have decent sound for the very little cash you need to put out for them.As long as they are not the primary HT speakers and are paired with a good clean sub they will impress the hell out of you in a dark room.I have a set I use with the TV in the family room,had to reglue the edge of one surround after a few years of hard driving Very Happy
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Rob Babcock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of vintage speakers. Some of that stuff was okay (some legendary Yamahas come to mind...) but a lot of it is pure junk. I would have to acknowledge that while I love video, I'm a bit more of an audio guy. I prefer "audiophool" as a term. Razz
mack1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Babcock wrote:
I'm not a big fan of vintage speakers. Some of that stuff was okay (some legendary Yamahas come to mind...) but a lot of it is pure junk. I would have to acknowledge that while I love video, I'm a bit more of an audio guy. I prefer "audiophool" as a term. Razz

Every listen to the Polk SDA's--vintagelate 80's early 90's.Still a tough speaker to beat
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ridebreck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been contemplating building DIY surrounds for my HT, but I'm having one hell of a time filtering through the snake oil, fanboys, and endless seas of information. I keep hearing that DIY speakers are very inexpensive. Does anyone know of some good sites to learn a bit about this before I dive in (even if they may happen to call them "woofers" or "midbasses")? Wink
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridebreck wrote:
I've been contemplating building DIY surrounds for my HT, but I'm having one hell of a time filtering through the snake oil, fanboys, and endless seas of information. I keep hearing that DIY speakers are very inexpensive. Does anyone know of some good sites to learn a bit about this before I dive in (even if they may happen to call them "woofers" or "midbasses")? Wink

http://www.diyaudio.com/ is one.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Babcock wrote:
I'm not a big fan of vintage speakers. Some of that stuff was okay (some legendary Yamahas come to mind...) but a lot of it is pure junk.

If you're calling the white van speakers 'vintage', then yes...Smile

Frankly, the construction quality of true 70's speakers, even the no name stuff was a lot better than any name brand today. I should post pix of the current Energy speakers that I have in for service when I get the woofers back.

I got some ESS bookshelf speakers refoamed the other day. I powered them up (6" 2 ways, on eBay right now), and they sound great.

To me, other than the higher power handing of some subs, I haven't seen any speaker innovations for quite some time. Pull apart any current average speaker and they are stamped frame crap compared to a lot more cast frame speakers back in the day. You can't change the laws of physics that speakers are designed and built on, so that's why not much has changed..Smile

The sub/satellite idea has been around since the 1950s, I personally hate the way they sound. I have no problem with big speakers in my living/family room, so dammit, that's what I have..Smile
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the most innovative designs of the 80's was the Infinity brand with the SEMIT, EMIT, EMIM, Polygraph and Polydome drivers. The Kappa 7,8,and 9 series are very affordable used, and are quite hard to beat for full range speakers. Replacement diaphrams are costly though. I remember reading about the Ionovac Plasma driver. Pretty innovative, if not dangerous at the time. I believe there is a German company producing plasma based type speakers.

Most important is the synergy of the combined equipment and the room size. What is your budget, speaker preference, amplifiers, etc. Let your ears decide, not the final cost. Audiogon is an excellent source for used equipment as well.

Happy listening! Smile

MAK
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Curt if size is not a problem there are lots of vintage bargains. for DIY stuff google diy speaker designs
try this out:
http://www.doddsy.net/steve6_020.htm
or
http://www.speakerbuilding.com/
or
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Ariel.html .. these look like a great design
and if you have a lot of time to surf...
http://www.members.aol.com/_ht_a/pjay99site/linksdiy.html
View user's photo album (4 photos)
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Little Red

I just went through what your going through.
I'm too lazy to do the DIY thing.

So I went out "looking" one day. I found the best place to pick up deals are actually at a good stereo shop.
I frequently go to one here in Victoria called Sound Hounds. I picked up an amplifer (Creek 5350SE) less than half of what the guy paid for it a year ago. He upgraded and they don't do trade ins but consignments. The next week I went in just to "look" again at speakers.

I demo two B&W set using my amplifier (they had a demo one in the store). The first one I tried out are the B&W CM1 Bookshelf style speakers and compared them to a set of floor B&W speakers.
I found that the CM1 blew away the floor speaker, IMO. I prefer less bass for my music and the floor speakers produced more base and distorted the clarity of the vocals and other instruments.

I ended up picking up the speakers for a good deal as a guy had just traded in two sets with stands. You couldn't even tell that they were used and since the speakers where originally bought at the same store (like the amplifier) they are able to swing things under warranty like they did with my amp I bought there when I did something dumb hooking it up and blew something.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
The first one I tried out are the B&W CM1 Bookshelf style speakers and compared them to a set of floor B&W speakers.
I found that the CM1 blew away the floor speaker, IMO.

I have always found 2 driver bookshelf speakers to sound better then multi-driver large speakers. Much more detailed.

d50q

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: on the cheap Reply with quote

its amazing what you can do with a few dollars

i picked up a box of 12 mtx fulranges rated from 65hz to 15k i think its been awhile
anyway i paid like 25 dollars for the box of them and with a few scraps of lumber i made a transmissionline speaker pair
played with the dmpening material till the low end was tyo my taste andwith a 94 bd sensitiviity the sonic t amp i used to drive them they got pretty loud

i still have the other 10 in the box was thinking of building a line array maybe someday

and i saw on utube a guy made a speaker from a paper plate ,tinfiol and a penny
i dont know what the impedence would be on that but the dang thing worked lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: