Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT Projector Step-by-Step Setup Guide (NOW FREE)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Paid. No option to leave a message when using the pre-filled out checkout form. Should I drop you an e-mail or will you remember that the only one in this batch going to Sweden should go on a memory stick anyway?

Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its fine. Payment received..................

I pulled the MP4 version off the DVD this morning for you. Worked ok on my Samsung plasma so should be fine. 2.4gig MP4.

Will post it off tomorrow for you.

Smile

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How relevant is this setup guide to the G90?

Thanks

Matt
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some minor differences with the menus and the ASTIG adjustment is different ( easier on the G90) So you would probably find it very useful. The principles are very much the same.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, PM sent
winny

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Johnson wrote:
I pulled the MP4 version off the DVD this morning for you. Worked ok on my Samsung plasma so should be fine. 2.4gig MP4.

Got it today. Problem is that it won't play. Tried several programs. VLC came closest by detecting some kind of video and audio stream but that was it, no picture or audio. Did you get it to work?

If everything else fails, does someone with the DVD have the bandwidth to rip it to an iso and FTP it to me?

Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked on my laptop, PC, My Panasonic TV and my Samsung TV directly plugged into the USB socket, That's pretty weird..

Its in MP4 format, Have you tried to download VLC player for your pc to play it? That usually plays everything.

The ISO is 4.7 gig

If you have a suggestion for upload of big files I will try to get it up there.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just loaded another copy onto another USB key. Plays perfect on all my PC's and my TV....................

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may have seen, I am over the bad delivery problems of the postal service.

I have now uploaded the disk ISO and an MP4 version to a secure server for download and this will be the preferred delivery option in the future.

On payment I will forward the password and you can either download the MP4 version, The disk ISO or both and play it on your PC or burn yourself your own DVD.

The file sizes are 2.2 GIG for the MP4 and 3.9 GIG for the disk ISO so its going to take a bit of time to download.

Lets hope this is smoother delivery method than the post office.

Graham Johnson

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guide is now FREE!

To view, see: http://www.curtpalme.com/SetupDVD.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have something worthwhile to add to the CRT setup guide.

It's your video capable camera, whether it's a video camera or a DSLR.

Mount that sucker on a tripod, set up where you can easily see the camera display, go to live view (assuming you have that),
or hook up an external monitor if you can, point it at your test pattern points being adjusted, zoom in as needed, and use the camera to see easily what can be a little bit hard to see with the unaided eye.

Things like getting blue on green convergence exactly right, or really adjusting the focus and stigmators for ideal shape and size.

It works incredibly well when you do it this way. I've literally never gotten the picture as sharp as this before, or as perfectly converged.

After I finished the alignments I watched a movie and was almost laughing as I realized that at 1080p on an 8 foot wide screen, with a vertical squeeze mod to achieve a 16:9 raster, the scan lines were almost distracting to the point that I nearly defocused the image by a couple of points to get a smoother overall image.

Just for fun I pushed the V size out to the 4:3 size ratio for comparison's sake and at that setting, the scan lines were so widely separated, you'd have to defocus a little unless you liked "grill-o-vision".

Incidentally, today was also the day when I had my first ever Marquee LVPS failure. Failed to start. I swapped to a good spare
and soon noticed something VERY interesting:

On this projector I've had a persistent problem with being unable to increase the contrast much above 50 or the focus blooming
started to get out of hand. Although I've experimented with a variety of "frankenyokes", I've never found any that really were optimal for this projector so I'm running a set of calibrated stock focus yokes.

Well, with the LVPS replaced, and not having TOUCHED the focus yokes, not only am I getting sharper focus but the blooming problem pretty much doesn't exist now until contrast hits about 90.

That's something for all Marquee owners to make careful note of: A degraded LVPS can have a dramatic effect on the stability of ANY system in the projector, INCLUDING the behavior of the focus coils.

It's actually a bit embarrassing, I've been so focused (pardon the pun) on the frankenyoke project that I never imagined that my own focusing problems might actually be related to something else.

Hey, live and learn, right?

Nonetheless, I believe that the Kanto-Denshi yoke designs are intrinsically superior to the Thomson focus yokes, provided that they are electrically compatible with your focus drive circuits. I'm not going to say that the whole frankenyoke project was a waste of time caused by a weak LVPS, because I don't believe it was a waste of time. I think it's a valid idea.

But don't discount the very important role that a stable and adequate power supply plays in the efficiency and proper operation of absolutely EVERY circuit and system in the projector.

A good picture starts with good power.
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, But the guide ( and in fact the projectors ) are well past their use by date. Seeing the guide is now free it doesn't warrant any more time being spent on it.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly disagree. We still have the occasional newbie to CRT projectors coming here in need of information, and most of us who have CRT projectors occasionally need to maintain our projectors which involves anything from a complete overhaul, retubing, and rebuild, to recalibration to minor tweaks to geometry, convergence, and color balance. If someone posts another useful method to further improve the quality of the setup, who are you to say that it's pointless to post it?

Sometimes you don't have to post what you're thinking.

As for CRT projectors being 'well past their use by date", I guess you haven't seen a top gun CRT projector lately, delivering an image that the best digital projectors are still having a hard time matching.

For any given screen resolution, CRT is still the image quality king. Now that it's been established that there is a path to 4K projection possible for SOME CRT projectors, the continued utility of these projectors will not be in question for some years to come.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cmjohnson:

I think Graham misunderstood you to mean that the DVD/video guide he put together should be updated with this new information, hence the reason he said "it's not worth it" (completely true). Redoing the long video from scratch when it's now free doesn't make any sense. The only reason it's free of course is because interest in the setup DVD/video completely dried up. When we offered it up for free in 2014, I could count the number of DVD sales on one hand.

By all means post any tricks and tips you may find, but he's not going to update his DVD/video (as you probably expected).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what KAL said !!!! Smile

Its free, I haven't got the time or the inclination to do anything else with it

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: