Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT Projector Step-by-Step Setup Guide (NOW FREE)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It appears the ISO file I use to copy the DVD's has been corrupted.

The last 5 disks I sent out have had 2 failures one in the UK and one in NZ.

I will have to repost the DVD's I sent out approx 2 weeks ago.

Apologies

GJ

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Taiwan and have already paid for the DVD. Just wondered when I can get it. Thanks!
tromatus

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job
zich6

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am up to date with shipping of DVD's. There appeared there was an issue with the mail over Christmas I had 6 disks returned.

They where reposted a few days ago.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had an email from a customer saying that the DVD wont play after chapter 8 . Seems that I may have been hit with a fault in the master again.

This could affect up to 8 DVD's.

If yours is faulty please put a post here so can gauge whi I have to send replacement DVD's too.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am up to date with all DVD postings. I have reposted 6 previously sent DVD's I beleive are faulty.

They should all be there quickly.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I've received the DVD last month, It's very useful for installation. I own a VPH 1292 so I would like to ask something I have not found. What are safe settings for brightness and contrast to avoid burning tubes too early?
Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuby77 wrote:
What are safe settings for brightness and contrast to avoid burning tubes too early?

Brightness is black (cutoff) level. It doesn't affect tube wear.

Contract is white level. It controls the amount of light output.

There's no "safe" setting for contrast. The higher the light output the faster the tubes will wear.

The number values are also somewhat meaningless as the same contrast setting on two different 1292 projectors can give different light output if the sources are different (ie: one is 'hotter' than the other) and/or the gains/drives in the projectors are set differently.

You need to decide yourself what level of light output is satisfactory to you and set your screen size, gain, and expectations accordingly. Some people are happy with 6 ft/L, some with 12 ft/L, some don't want to go below 14 ft/L. Personally I wouldn't want to do below about 12 ft/L. I do 14 ft/L on my 8 foot wide screen of 1.1-1.2 gain. My room is fairly light controlled/dark.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kabuby77

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining. I decided to change the old 4:3 screen and take a bigger 16:9. I know VPH 1292 is not so bright as other 9", I would try to correlate the light flux with the life of the tubes in order to choose the best size. You said that it is difficult to make comparisons, but since I do not have enough experience some examples would be useful from other owners of this projector.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuby77 wrote:
You said that it is difficult to make comparisons, but since I do not have enough experience some examples would be useful from other owners of this projector.

I would start a new thread about it and ask. This thread is about the CRT Projector Setup DVD and while it's done using a 1292 most 1292 won't read this. Start a new thread that has "1292" in the title and you'll get more responses. Something like "What contrast setting to use on a 1292?" would make sense. Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal pretty much summed it up. There are a lot of reasons for the brightness being set at one point.

1) MINDFUL of tube wear. Too much wears them quicker

2) Type of screen you have

3) gain of input source

1) many projectors Bloom badly as the contrast rises. This washes out detail in whites and doesnt add to the experience. The 1292 because of its modest gain actually doesnt bloom and you can comfortably run it flat out at 100% and the result is still very good. Focus does reduce at higher brightness levels. I used to run at 80-90% as a realistic level. BUT I had a gain screen as well and it was quite bright.

2) The gain of your screen is critical. a gain of one means that you will have to burn the tubes harder for the same reflective light output. My scrfeen gain was 1.3 which was a good alround brightness allowing the tubes to be run a bit dimmer to increase life.

3) not so much an issue now as it used to be when using analogue inputs. You could rig the input source to run a bit hotter whihc would compound through the video chain. This would for all intents and purposes run the projector harder. AND MADE THE ACTUAL CONTRAST NUMBER BASCIALLLY USELESS AS A MEANS OF MEASURMENT. Not as much an issue now with the HDMI input cards in use. The internal gain is set pretty right with them.

IMO set it to what makes you happy. Burn the bastard up. The machine isnt worth a nickle these days so use it, enjoy it and dont worry about tube life. Just throw it out when its done.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speech , I understand that up to now the machine has been working below its potential.
It has recently passed the thousand hours of life, it is like new. I'll probably buy a 120" with a gain of at least 1.2

I do not remember where I put the sunglasses .... anyone can help me? Mr. Green

Mod: yes: Cool (there are your sunglasses)
kjelli

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I have two of your disc. One I bought from you, the other I got along with a 1292 I aquired. Both discs stop working around the time you are talking about the astimagtism Sad

Any chance I can get a new copy?

Kjell
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some bad disks, BUT I did identify which ones they where and I actually shipped replacements for all the bad ones. So some people would have got 2 copies.

One that worked and another that was crap and should have been thrown out.

What date did you recieve yours ?? See earlier in this thread and you can see the faulty disk send dates.

I would be hesitant to ship replacements AGAIN after I have already sent out new one's for all the affected disks.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Johnson wrote:
I had some bad disks, BUT I did identify which ones they where and I actually shipped replacements for all the bad ones. So some people would have got 2 copies.

One that worked and another that was crap and should have been thrown out.

What date did you recieve yours ?? See earlier in this thread and you can see the faulty disk send dates.

I would be hesitant to ship replacements AGAIN after I have already sent out new one's for all the affected disks.

I bought mine approx. a year ago. I have no idea if it's the ISO the disc is burnt from, the quality of the disc or the dvd cover's fault (one disc is always loose each time I open the dvd cover. Both covers I have are like this and this is the covers they vere recieved in).
I got one copy with the 1292, the other copy I bought from you. Both discs are unreadable.
I actually got one of the bad discs first time I bought from you.

I do not demand you to send me a readable copy. I'm only asking, please.

Kjell
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where yours in DVD cases ???

I havent shipped in those for over 3 years. I only ship in cardboard envelopes since 2009. LOL

send me a PM and I will send you a new disk. There where no ISO errors previous to the last 12 months so I can only out yours not working to physical damage.

You really should have checked it out and let me know a little earlier dont you think?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What??? 3 years. Time really flies.
Well, I spent the last year building the HT, had to put a building on top of the HT room first. I only checked out that the disc worked when I got it, did not see the whole film. But you are right, I should have checked this a tad earlier Smile

Pm sent, thanks a million. You are a star Smile

Kjell
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have caught up with all the outstanding posting of DVD's. You'all should have yours very soon.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All outstanding DVD's have been sent out approx 2 weeks ago. If you are waiting it wont be long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: