Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90 sync issues at some scan rates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wigginjs

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: G90 sync issues at some scan rates? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Apologies in advance if this is a 'stupid question'. Cross my heart that I've read the install guide and accompanying service manuals to try to understand this behavior before posting. I just picked up this G90 and haven't set up a CRT projector since the mid-2000s when I had a Sony D50.

My challenge is, when I set the internal oscillator to certain scan rates, the image is garbled (distorted?). The image and menu appear correctly when the internal oscillator is set to horizontal scan rates of 24.83 kHz, 48.36 kHz, 63.98 kHz, 75.00 kHz, 93.75 kHz, and 106.25 kHz. However, when it's set to 15.73 kHz or 31.47 kHz the image is garbled, and the image is completely unviewable at 126.84 kHz and 145.00 kHz. I'm testing this on input A and input B, with or without a source connected. I've fed the projector a 15kHz image via input A (component) and can confirm that this same artifacting or garbling occurs on an input signal as well. Otherwise, I haven't noticed anything unusual about the projector's behavior.

My G90 has a IFB-3D card installed in input B. It's got about 14,000 hours on the chassis and about 4,500 hours on all three tubes.

Images attached for reference. Help and insight greatly appreciated!

James

IMG-9366-1.JPG
 Description:
15kHz, also garbled
 Filesize:  29.26 KB
 Viewed:  1215 Time(s)

IMG-9366-1.JPG

IMG-9365-1.JPG
 Description:
31kHz, garbled
 Filesize:  29.8 KB

IMG-9365-1.JPG

IMG-9364-1.JPG
 Description:
63.98Khz, looks good
 Filesize:  25.61 KB

IMG-9364-1.JPG

wigginjs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to (hopefully) verify that my YA board seems good. It has an IC421 chip from one of the 'good lots' (836A01E) and the Dallas chip was replaced. Seems like the Dallas chip was from 2011. Does anyone know if these newer ones still fail? I don't think that's the problem based on my symptoms.

Dallas-small.jpg
 Description:
Dallas
 Filesize:  68.13 KB
 Viewed:  1168 Time(s)

Dallas-small.jpg

IC421-small.jpg
 Description:
IC421
 Filesize:  80.78 KB

IC421-small.jpg

YA-small.jpg
 Description:
YA Board
 Filesize:  93.17 KB

YA-small.jpg

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely replace the Dallas chip just for insurance sake. Who knows when it was installed. And there have been known cases of fake Dallas chips being produced, so provenance is unclear. If that fails with the tubes on you will spot burn all 3. And lets face it, at this point all the value is in the tubes so best protect the investment.

Do yourself a favour and get a Moome HDMI card while they are still available. It transformed my G90 running 1080P at 72Hz via a Lumagen XE+ processor
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: