Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

(help) barco 808s not starting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: (help) barco 808s not starting Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
hi
I’m brand new to the world of crt projectors. i recently purchased my first projector, the barcographics (or retrographics?) 808s. when i tried to turn it on the high frequency sound starts normally but then stops and start again and again. the picture also flickers on and off. i am kinda scared that this will break something so i turned it back off.

video of what’s going on https://1drv.ms/v/s!AszjmP5e2jJigYBJMvgS8ag75WSTjQ?e=noio2Y

i opened it up to see if there was something obvious and i noticed this red led flickers in sync with the picture https://1drv.ms/u/s!AszjmP5e2jJigYBKGjutjBvflnawVg?e=anfkGY

any help would be appreciated!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I believe that's the horizontal or vertical board. It has a red Led on it that will light up if the board is not getting a signal to it to lock to. This light will also occasionally come on if the board fails.

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout2.shtm and http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout3.shtm

Most likely you are not feeding the projector a signal it understands. How are you feeding it? What source? What cables? What resolution/refresh rate is the source set to?

If this is your first CRT projector you should read this too:
http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.shtm

Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kal, thanks for replying!

in the video i didn’t have a video source attached. i thought i could access a menu or something. however, if i connect my ps2 via RGB-Scart (using a component to RGB transcoder and using scart to bnc cables (i know kinda janky but it works)) i get the same results. could it be something with the power supply? sometimes it fails completely and turns completely off and on again. sometimes it fails 3 times and then it stops trying until i press the standby button again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolkalberer wrote:
in the video i didn’t have a video source attached. i thought i could access a menu or something.

Yes you can. You don't need a source to enter the menus. Hit the ADJ button on the remote to access the menus. At least I think it's the ADJ button. It's been more than 10 years since I owned a 808s projector.

Quote:
however, if i connect my ps2 via RGB-Scart (using a component to RGB transcoder and using scart to bnc cables (i know kinda janky but it works)) i get the same results.

How exactly is it connected? How many wires and which wires are connected to the 808s? You'll need at least RGBS if not RGBHV.
What resolution/refresh rate are you using?

Barcos tend to have special sync requirements. Many require negative sync.

If you want to make sure things are working ok, pull up the internal menus to start. You can then also just hook up a composite signal (1 cable) or S-video to make sure things are working ok.

Quote:
sometimes it fails completely and turns completely off and on again. sometimes it fails 3 times and then it stops trying until i press the standby button again.

The entire projector turns off completely? If that's the case then yes, something is not right with the projector.
It could be any number of issues that force it to shut down. Take a look here:
http://www.curtpalme.com/Troubleshooting_Tips_Barco1.shtm

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe in the video it is trying to display a menu. i tried again pressing the adj button and i get the same results. if i press it again it goes black but i can still hear the high frequency sound being inconsistent. so, it’s trying to display a menu (when it hit the adj button) but it’s very wobbly and it keeps flashing on and off.

Screenshot 2021-12-21 144732.jpg
 Description:
projektor trying to display a menu
 Filesize:  48.4 KB
 Viewed:  5724 Time(s)

Screenshot 2021-12-21 144732.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the questions I posted above. It's impossible to help if you don't answer the questions. Otherwise I'm just guessing.

Kal

lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry that i didn’t answer the other questions!

the ps2 is connected via Scart which uses RGBS. the resolution is 480i @50 hz. It works on other CRTs and even on a sony superdata crt projector.

the projector sometimes shuts off. every time this happened there wasn’t even a white screen. it started, the high frequency sound goes crazy, turns off and starts again. it does this 3 times before it gives up.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many wires and which wires are connected to the 808s?

Last edited by kal on Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the power cable and the video connector from the ps2: red, green, blue and sync. im not sure what type of sync.

Edit: checked the Comp2RGB manual. it outputs 1V CSYNC, 75 ohms on SCART
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's only one sync cable (R/G/B + sync) it's combined sync (H+V) if I remember correctly. Not sure which input (H or V?) you're supposed to hook up a combined sync signal to . This is referred to as 'RGBs' or RGB with composite sync.

You can also do sync on green (only R/G/B cables and sync is included on the green).

To make matters more complex Barcos can be a lot more finicky about sync. Sometimes needing negative sync instead of positive. There's also a sync speed option in the menu (fast or slow).

This is why I recommend going very simple at first: Hook it up to composite or S-video. One cable. Get that working first. The read the manual/scour posts here about using RGBS on a Barco 808s. Manuals are here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Downloads.shtm

The projector shutting down on its own is not normal (I think). It's shutting down due to a failure. This is a whole other issue that would need to be resolved.

Sorry, been a long time since I've used a CRT projector... but I was mostly familiar with Barco using 5 wires (RGBHV). I don't have any SCART experience. Just composite, S-Video, and RGBHV. Others can chime in too of course.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could something else be the issue? i can’t even get to the menu because it flickers nonstop. also, the mentioned power cycles lead me to think that it could be something else. i will still try to hook something via composite to check if that helps.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea.

I suggest hooking it up with a composite or S-video cable to test and then go from there.

Kal

lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just did that and no succes. there is no picture at all. i hooked up my ps2 via composite.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that your projector is shutting down on its own, it could be something else.

There are likely many reasons to force a shutdown. Take a look here to see if anything sticks out:
http://www.curtpalme.com/Troubleshooting_Tips_Barco1.shtm

Was this projector purchased as working or you have no idea if it's supposed to work or not? (Sold as is). What did the seller say?

Kal

lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"set is pulsing" sounds like nearst to whats happening. ill follow the troubelshooting method and report back.

the set was bought as working, though the seller said the last time he powerd it up was a long time ago. he said its basicly new since he never really used it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolkalberer wrote:
he said its basicly new since he never really used it.

It may have low hours, but it's not new as it's been sitting for a long time. Often CRT projectors that are never used have more issues than ones that did get usage.

Good luck!

Kal

lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i tried it out but i don’t believe that’s the problem. it starts up with or without a missing card. however, i have noticed that the weird inconsistent high frequency sounds stop when I’m changing inputs. so, if it doesn’t have to display a picture, it sounds normal. that’s why i think it has something to do with the Sync+Vertical Deflection Module. the red led on it flickers in sync with the picture and high frequency sound (when I’m trying to display the menu). but mainly when changing inputs, when the card is presumed not in use, that’s when the inconsistent high frequency sounds stop acting up and it sounds like a normal crt until the input is changed.

is there any way to check if the Sync+Vertical Deflection Module is working properly?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect all inputs, and fire the set up. You should get the onscreen menus and test patterns clearly. If not, and it's still similar to the picture you posted above, then it could be:

-H board
-V board
-controller board
-power supply
-RGB switcher board.
lolkalberer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with everything disconnected i get the picture that i posted above. do i have to presume that all the components you listed are broken or is there a way to find out which one it is?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point you have to do board swaps, as this is a problem I've never seen before. I will have some of the boards if you need them, but I am almost out of 808s parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: