Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT and power supply

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: CRT and power supply Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

Could we get a cleaner picture on our CRT pj if we 'filter' the electrical signal before entering the pj?
Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a black and white answer to this that can be used in all situations.

Depends on how noisy your power is.
Depends on how your projector is designed (how well it rectifies/filters/uses power/etc).
Depends on how much the viewer notices too.

As an electrical engineer, I've never been big on the idea of power cleaning before feeding to products. If a product needs very clean power to operate correctly or look good, it should do something internally to ensure that the power is clean. Otherwise how the product behaves is too reliant or too tied to the mains power coming in.

The better the performance of the product the more closely they'll look at this (if it matters) and ensure that power cleanliness isn't an issue so it's generally not an issue on higher end products where they don't mind spending a bit of $$$ on clean rails. A $10 product on the other hand is probably going to have poor performance to begin with when compared to a $100 product that does the same thing so no point in applying clean power to that $10 product. It's not going to turn it into a $100 product. The customer buying the $10 product isn't gone to care anyway.

On devices that completely rectify the AC to DC on input, any pre-cleaning seems especially silly to me.

My 2 cents!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks (again) Kal Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that said, give it a go if you want, but make sure to let us know what you think along with the equipment you used and what you did!

I know there are lots of audiophiles that are deep into power conditioning / filtering equipment but I generally don't see the value and it's not because I don't want to spend the money... The irony is that some will throw a really expensive (high end) power conditioner in front of a really expensive (high end) piece of electronics that already has everything it thinks it needs to be top of the line in terms of power management. Kind of a waste of money if you ask me.

Kal

mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: CRT and power supply Reply with quote

Corleone88 wrote:
Hi,

Could we get a cleaner picture on our CRT pj if we 'filter' the electrical signal before entering the pj?
Thanks

The so called external AC filtering devices are a waste and could be more of a problem for best image performance, because they use switching power conversion that creates much higher than 60hz interference problems for video. Plus, the video supplies in the projectors are already using these high frequency noise generators, where simply filtered 60hz (transformer) is less likely to pose a problem for analog video systems.

What can make an improvement to your systems overall video performance using external means, would be good building grounding.

Most of those electronic filters devices take a perfectly safe (for video signals) 60hz power and convert it to a much higher frequencies, where 60hz would pose no interference or noise problems. The Pulse Width frequency generators would be an additional high frequency interference device because their switching frequencies can be as high as 100Khz. And considering the projector already has a Pulse Width frequency noise generator that's known as the power supply, you'll be doubling your problems. This is also why most high end gear do not use Switch Mode power supplies in their preamps and some video stages. The better CD/DVD players if using a switching power supply it was only for the digital stages, where they also used a 60hz transformer for the analog stages. Most used transformers altogether instead of those cheap switching power supplies. If you notice, almost all transformer supplied devices do not have those filtering inductors that's used in all switching power supplies to suppress those high switching frequencies from being an interference problem on the AC line.

I learned a lot about this after taking an FCC Compliance class where they explained this in detail. Switch mode power supplies and computer circuits are the two main sources of interference once they have improved RF radio transmission using very high frequency low power transmitters. Balanced power (transformer) is good and makes sense because it offers better isolation from the rest of your residense and its still 60hz (which is not an transmittable interference problem).

The best fix of AC power would be to connect an 8 gauge ground wire from your main power box to a metal (in-ground) utility/water pipe. Also read up on IEEE Grounding.

If you look at the AC mains input of a switching power supply you will see a bunch of inductors and capacitors that make you think they are filtering the power into the switching power supply, when they are really there to block high frequencies from being transmitted into your environment and power lines.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT and power supply Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
The so called external AC filtering devices are a waste and could be more of a problem for best image performance, because they use switching power conversion that creates much higher than 60hz interference problems for video.

Not all use switching. Some will simply go with (often very) large isolation transformers to completely separate their setup from the mains and other devices that may introduce noise on to the mains. No switching at all.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: