Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What are symptoms of a bad ballast?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: What are symptoms of a bad ballast? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a JVC x series PJ. It’s weird. When I turn it on, the lens cover opens and acts normal. Stays normal for about a minute. Then it goes black, lens cover closes and then the solid red warning light comes on with the amber lamp blinking in sequences of two and the standby in continuous blinking red. This one is different than previous ones I had seen. I am leaning ballast failure but it could also be power supply or another board. Opinions guys?[/code]
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the history of this projector? Did you buy a non-functional projector hoping to fix it?

Be aware that some have already had people try and fix things and they can sometimes be somewhat hacked/butchered because of this. I know that Curt (in the day) wouldn't touch projectors like that especially digitals.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
What's the history of this projector? Did you buy a non-functional projector hoping to fix it?

Be aware that some have already had people try and fix things and they can sometimes be somewhat hacked/butchered because of this. I know that Curt (in the day) wouldn't touch projectors like that especially digitals.

Kal

Friend brought it to me. He said it was working and then it wasnt.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. That’s a good start. Nobody’s been hacking at it (hopefully).

Sorry, don’t have any other suggestions to add other than talk to JVC. Unless it’s a known issue digitally are horrendously complex to repair (like repairing a pc motherboard) and other than through the manufacture boards are difficult to buy.

Good luck!

Kal

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Ok. That’s a good start. Nobody’s been hacking at it (hopefully).

Sorry, don’t have any other suggestions to add other than talk to JVC. Unless it’s a known issue digitally are horrendously complex to repair (like repairing a pc motherboard) and other than through the manufacture boards are difficult to buy.

Good luck!

Kal

JVC said go pound sand. They want it sent to them or to a authorized facility and give no information. My friend told them to eff off.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that's what I mean by "talk to JVC". Send it to them. If my JVC dies I would send it to them.

These units are so horrendously complex that they can’t possibly tell the average person how to troubleshoot and replace parts.

Kal

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Sorry, that's what I mean by "talk to JVC". Send it to them. If my JVC dies I would send it to them.

These units are so horrendously complex that they can’t possibly tell the average person how to troubleshoot and replace parts.

Kal

I have repaired 4 of them now. Getting pretty good at them. Ballasts seem to be a problem child for the x series. Been lucky so far because that has fixed them every time. This one seem different than previous units a though.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed….was a ballast….X series from JVC….TRASH!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: