Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDQ no output, seemingly no response to remote...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: HDQ no output, seemingly no response to remote... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all. Looking for a little help (possibly).

I pulled out my LD player and HDQ from my closet where they were carefully stored for about 5 years in their boxes. It's a cool, dry place, practically dust free. I recently upgraded my VP (Emotiva UMC-1 to the Emotiva MC-700) and decided to use the UMC-1 in my game room/man cave and put together a mini theater for kicks.

Upon hooking up the HDQ, I'm getting no picture. The LED turns on, but nothing outputs (neither via DVI or composite). When I tried to use the remote (it was stored with NO batteries and I'm using brand new batteries now) to possibly turn it "on" or put it in standby or otherwise get any response, I noticed the LED did not flicker, like it use to do when you send commands to the unit. It seems like it's not responding to the remote either.

I tried upgrading the firmware (using the null modem cable), in hopes this might resolve any issues or, possibly, reset the unit (?). However, my PC does not recognize the unit whatsoever. I tried this in Win 7 and Win XP.

One odd issue I'd like to mention for possible trouble shooting is that when I plug the power cord into the HDQ and the UMC-1 is already on, the LED on the HDQ turns on for like 10 seconds and then turns off. If the UMC is off, the LED on the HDQ comes on and stays on. If I then turn on the UMC-1, the LED remains on. I get the same behavior when I connect the HDQ straight to the display (VIZIO 55" 4K).

Right now the chain is pretty simple:
LD player Panny LX-900 (tried both composite and s-video) >>> HDQ (tried both DVI and component) >>>
Emotiva UMC-1 >>> Vizio 4K TV (or straight to the TV, not using the UMC-1).

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

A blast from the past - Been a while since we've seen or talked about a VisionHDQ (assuming that's the model you mean) as it's almost 20 year old.

Does the remote have a light on it to show that it's working when you press buttons? Just to make sure the remote actually works as I believe it's the only way to turn on a VisionHDQ?

If the remote does show as working first thing I'd suspect is something with the VisionHDQ power supply. Do you have a voltmeter to test it?

Though that said...

Mechromancer wrote:
One odd issue I'd like to mention for possible trouble shooting is that when I plug the power cord into the HDQ and the UMC-1 is already on, the LED on the HDQ turns on for like 10 seconds and then turns off. If the UMC is off, the LED on the HDQ comes on and stays on. If I then turn on the UMC-1, the LED remains on. I get the same behavior when I connect the HDQ straight to the display (VIZIO 55" 4K).

Sounds like it's autosensing a signal and turning itself on maybe?

The power LED not staying on may be normal. From the manual:

Quote:
The front panel LED does NOT stay on by default. To change the LED function to stay illuminated to indicate “power-on,” see the “Front Panel LED Function” section (page 26).

The front panel has an light-emitting-diode (LED) indicator, which will flash on to show command
activity (default). Alternately, the LED can be programmed by the user to remain illuminated
while power is on to serve as a “power-on” indicator. When the LED is set to “activity” it
illuminates for a short time after commands are received and then turns off to prevent it from
being an unwanted light source in the darkened theater. When the LCD light is set to “power” it
stays illuminated as long as the VisionHDQ is on, flashing off briefly when a command is
received.

See: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/VisionHDQ_User_Man_3-9-07.pdf

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your quick response.

I had tested the power supply with a voltimeter. It reads 5.15v-5.18v. However, I had not thought of testing the amps. Upon testing that, it's jumping all over the place. I tested a battery with the voltimeter and it's reading correctly. So I think you're right, the psu is shot. :[

I'll try to get a new psu before I waste more of anybody's time on this issue.

Thanx
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time wasting at all!

Just out of curiosity how did you test it under load to test the amps?

Kal

Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
No time wasting at all!

Just out of curiosity how did you test it under load to test the amps?

Kal

Well, since I'm guessing the unit is out of warranty Laughing I opened it up, plugged it in and measured right behind the power plug.

The voltage measures OK, but as soon as I try to measure the amps, the LED on the unit turns off and the voltmeter jumps around between 0 to 3 amps, stays at 0 for a second and jumps back up for a split second and goes back down to 0. When I stop the measurement, the LED comes back on in a couple of seconds.

When you mentioned "load", however, it occurred to me that maybe it should be plugged into a output source (?).
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make sure the IR remote control is good, many (most) cameras on smart phones can 'see' the IR LED on the remote blinking. However, some do have an IR filter but it's not usually on both the front and rear cameras. Try it with a IR remote you know is AOK then try it on the one in question.

Also, when you measure volts with a DMM, you measure the voltage across (parallel to) something. When you measure current with a DMM you need to measure it going through (in series with) something. If you're trying to measure current across something with a DMM, you're probably creating a short with the meter and would explain why the power supply isn't happy with that DMM caused short in place and it's causing the supply to crowbar.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Dude explained why I ask: Current is measured in series so I was curious if you had an electronics background and measured the power supply output in series while hooked up to the processor. No need for input/outputs connected. I was wondering how exactly you measured current draw as it has to (usually) be done evasively by breaking into the circuit and measuring in series.

You can also measure current though coil rings if you don’t want to measure evasively.

Kal

Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate you gentlemen hopping in to help.

I apologize for the lazy description of how I measured the amps. I do NOT have extensive electronics background, but I have put together some simple devices (nixie tube watch, numitron tube watch...I've also built 3 custom lightsabers Wink ), so I would say I'm a little more knowledgeable than the average guy...just throwing that out there so you know you can throw some suggestions at me.

The reason I went through the inside is so I could contact the leads carefully to the +/- of the unit (I couldn't think of another way to do it safely externally).

So basically: (+) lead of the DMM into the (+) aperture of the psu barrel. I wrapped a wire, tightly, around the outside of the barrel to use as the (-) lead. Then I contacted the (-) of the DMM to (+) on back of unit and wire from (-) of psu barrel to ground on the unit. If this is not correct then I will have to re-measure following any instructions you can provide.

I did this on my brothers DVDO HD+ unit a while back.
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really tell from your description if you actually broke an existing connection to insert the DMM ammeter in series, but if the observed operation changes when you connect the DMM, that's a big clue that you're not doing it right. If you use a DMM properly, it shouldn't be changing the behavior of the device under test (except under small/rare Heisenberg type influences) when you connect it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE3eQ6q39f4

I'll defer to Kal on what measuring the current is really going to net you it terms of a fix, but the way I read your initial description, you haven't really ruled out if the IR remote is actually working or not. Tearing into the unit and measuring currents would be kinda folly if it turns out your IR remote is what is at fault . . .
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechromancer wrote:
So basically: (+) lead of the DMM into the (+) aperture of the psu barrel. I wrapped a wire, tightly, around the outside of the barrel to use as the (-) lead. Then I contacted the (-) of the DMM to (+) on back of unit and wire from (-) of psu barrel to ground on the unit.

So in series? In other words, when you remove it the Lumagen loses power. That would be the right way. What I was curious about was not what current the Lumagen draws, but what the voltage from the power adapter measures when it's in use. If it drops significantly when in use (under load) it may be an issue with the power adapter. A power adapter may have a voltage that measures fine fine when not in use but then drop a lot under load (when powering something).

How much current is drawn isn't actually that important, unless it's above what the adapter says it can supply (which may show some issue with the Lumagen as it's drawing more than it's supposed to).

Kal

Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
I can't really tell from your description if you actually broke an existing connection to insert the DMM ammeter in series, but if the observed operation changes when you connect the DMM, that's a big clue that you're not doing it right. If you use a DMM properly, it shouldn't be changing the behavior of the device under test (except under small/rare Heisenberg type influences) when you connect it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE3eQ6q39f4

I'll defer to Kal on what measuring the current is really going to net you it terms of a fix, but the way I read your initial description, you haven't really ruled out if the IR remote is actually working or not. Tearing into the unit and measuring currents would be kinda folly if it turns out your IR remote is what is at fault . . .

Sorry. Yes, I tried the phone camera trick (very cool btw). The remote LED flashes.

Additionally, I used my Pronto remote to see if it could "learn" the Lumagen remote codes. The Pronto received and learned all button pushes. I would have to assume that the Lumagen is transmitting.
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechromancer wrote:
I would have to assume that the Lumagen is transmitting.
Yes, I think you've clearly verified the Lumagen IR remote is functioning but the HDQ isn't seeing and acknowledging the receipt of IR commands. I don't have any experience with Lumagen products or their user interface so I don't have a clue of what if anything you can try to test with further if IR link isn't working. Good Luck!
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
Mechromancer wrote:
I would have to assume that the Lumagen is transmitting.
Yes, I think you've clearly verified the Lumagen IR remote is functioning but the HDQ isn't seeing and acknowledging the receipt of IR commands. I don't have any experience with Lumagen products or their user interface so I don't have a clue of what if anything you can try to test with further if IR link isn't working. Good Luck!

How likely is it that the IR receiver "burned out"? I realize almost anything is "possible". I'm asking about the probability. Are IR receivers reputed to rarely burn out (pardon the lay terminology)? Or would be reasonable to assume probable failure, for a 20+ year old unit?

Another wrench in the trouble-shooting gears is that my laptop doesn't recognize the unit. I'm starting to suspect it could be a gonner. Sad
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's likely that only the IR receiver in the HDQ 'burnt out' and I missed the fact that you also couldn't establish communication via the RS-232 port per: http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0011_RS232CommandInterface_072009.pdf

It may well be a gonner.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the E'lytic caps in the power supply, or order a new PSU from Lumagen.
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Change the E'lytic caps in the power supply, or order a new PSU from Lumagen.

Thanx, I had already ordered one. After I started this thread I found another one titled "Help...HDQ" and this member describes almost exactly the same problem as I'm having. It was suggested he try a new psu, so I followed suit and ordered one. Regretfully, his thread got hijacked before he posted his outcome/resolution (at least I didn't see one). Honestly, I was more than half-tempted to hack a barrel plug and use the 5v rail on my Corsair 850 Platinum PC PSU. Razz I'm really not wanting to sink too much into this dated unit.

May I ask your thoughts on this behavior:

When I plug the power cord into the HDQ AND the Emotiva UMC-1 (AVP) is already ON, the LED on the HDQ turns on for like 10 seconds and then turns off. If the UMC-1 is OFF when I plug in the HDQ, the LED on the HDQ comes on and stays on. If I then turn on the UMC-1, the LED remains on. I get the same behavior when I connect the HDQ straight to the display (VIZIO 55" 4K).

Kal pointed me to the manual where it mentions that, by default, the LED would not stay on, which I get. But it's weird that the LED stays on when I power up the unit and the other component is off (and remains on after I power up the other unit), but turns on then turns off if the other unit is already on.

You folks are very helpful. I really appreciate it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechromancer wrote:
Honestly, I was more than half-tempted to hack a barrel plug and use the 5v rail on my Corsair 850 Platinum PC PSU. Razz I'm really not wanting to sink too much into this dated unit.

If you do go that route, make sure the 5V rail can handle the current required. Ampacity of most PSU 5V rails aren't as big as (say) the 12V one. Some PSUs also won't start unless a specific rail is under load too... just something to keep in mind.

Can't help with the other questions - sorry!

Kal

Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Mechromancer wrote:
Honestly, I was more than half-tempted to hack a barrel plug and use the 5v rail on my Corsair 850 Platinum PC PSU. Razz I'm really not wanting to sink too much into this dated unit.

If you do go that route, make sure the 5V rail can handle the current required. Ampacity of most PSU 5V rails aren't as big as (say) the 12V one. Some PSUs also won't start unless a specific rail is under load too... just something to keep in mind.

Can't help with the other questions - sorry!

Kal

LOL! Good point. I'm not that desperate yet. I had already ordered the PSU anyway, but you make a good point.

The PSU is "Platinum Certified", meaning (for what it's worth) extremely low ripple and independently verified specs. Corsair is a very reputable company. The 5v rail is rated is rated at 30 amps. I've powered a 75w TEC (Thermal Electric , or Peltier, cooler at 5v, 15a) with it. It can handle, and put out, the 5a the HDQ would need.

I'll keep reporting back for posterity's sake.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechromancer wrote:
The PSU is "Platinum Certified", meaning (for what it's worth) extremely low ripple and independently verified specs. Corsair is a very reputable company.

Definitely! The gaming PCs I built for my kids have a bunch of Corsair stuff in them (power supplies are EVGA however).

Let us know how it all works out!

Kal

Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a little more "odd" behavior. (Sorry guys, I'm tinkerer/hacker by nature and I love problem-solving)

In the first post I mentioned that the unit did not seem to be responding to the remote, (because when I plug it in, the LED stays on and if I hit the standby button, the LED is not blinking in response to the button press and will not turn off).

Now, in the Lumagen firmware updater utility, a warning pop-up box mentions that within the first 10 seconds of plugging the unit in, its in "boot mode". So I decided to try to press and hold the STANDBY button on the remote during the first 10 seconds after plugging the unit in. Lo-and-behold, the LED comes on briefly (after boot-up finalizes, I'm assuming) and then turned off. I then pressed the ON button and the LED came on.

So it seems to be responding shortly after boot-up to go into standby and then responds to the ON command. HOWEVER, after the unit turns back on, it becomes unresponsive again. It's almost like it's hanging after boot-up (just a guess from my programming experience).

Just throwing all the symptoms I come across out there to see if it triggers a light bulb for anyone. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: