Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Denon AVR-2307 freeze/HDMI issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mobutu

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Denon AVR-2307 freeze/HDMI issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

First of all excuse my noobiness, I've stumbled on this forum by accident while searching for info related to my problem and there seem to be a lot of knowledge gathered here.

I have a Denon AVR-2307 which upon power on plays on the last analogue input selected but freezes when you try to select a different one. The HDMI in/outs are also dead. Composite & S-video in/outs work. Menus and OSD also work. Selecting a DSP program also causes freeze. I haven't tested any digital inputs yet.

I'm guessing its either a CPU and/or an HDMI board. But before deciding whether I should invest any money on it I thought to try and see if anyone has come across any similar issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you generally is that all HDMI receivers are prone to failures due to their complexity and how hot they run. Google 'Onkyo extended HDMI warranty' and see what you come up with.
My guess is that one of the chips on the HDMI board needs to be reballed, and that's simply not worth it. I've heard that Denon has really dropped in quality in the last 10-15 years, they were my go-to about 20 years ago. Onkyo and Pioneer both had rampant problems, and the Onkyo extended warranty thing is now long over, as of Dec 31, 2019.
IMHO- not worth repairing, sorry!
mobutu

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll probably just keep it as an analog amp.
Who knows, with the amount of failures I might be able to source cheap another faulty unit and play around with the boards.
Thanks.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, it will likely be the same failure on the other units. It's why I got out of repairing flat screens about 10 years ago. When Samsung had the bad capacitor run for about 5 years (class action lawsuit ended up happening, google that for a fun read!), I could repair a ton of flat screens in 15 minutes each. It took longer to take the back off than it did repairing the sets).

Now it's either bad LEDs on the panels (I don't have hands small enough to replace the bad LEDs), or more likely, bad solder joints on the back of the main CPU chip(s). Not worth repairing, and the used boards on eBay that 'work fine' usually fail again within months.

But good luck! Very Happy
mobutu

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean. I have two problematic Samsung, a blinking monitor and a TV with vertical lines at the edges, both <10 years old. I guess size reduction (heat) and cost savings by driving components to their limits (capacitor voltages) led to this. Or is it planned obsolescence? Smile
Either way, for products of this price range such a short lifespan is unacceptable. Denon & Samsung are already on my blacklist.
BR
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobutu wrote:
...for products of this price range such a short lifespan is unacceptable. Denon & Samsung are already on my blacklist.
BR

I think the example of the flat screen TV was to get you to understand that they were not designed to be repaired at component level. Most are a bunch of cheap boards compactly put in a cheap metal bottom plate, that's not removable.

So if the design outcome is one where its near impossible to access critical test points, that creates the biggest problem that you cannot use meters and scope probes to find out what is wrong with it technically, because no thought went into the design for repair.

So outside of owning a bunch of spare boards to replace the suspected boards. There is no need for technical expertise
once you remove the cover because MOST are NOT Repairable items beyond board swap.
mobutu

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
I think the example of the flat screen TV was to get you to understand that they were not designed to be repaired at component level. Most are a bunch of cheap boards compactly put in a cheap metal bottom plate, that's not removable.

Thanks I know, that's been the standard for most consumer electronics for some time now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: