Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Pioneer Elite VSX94-THX - needs repair??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Munkynutz

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Pioneer Elite VSX94-THX - needs repair?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Pioneer VSX94-THX AV receiver that is in need of repair. It's freezing up and then I can unplug it and plug it back in and it will work for a short time then shut down. Does anyone know anybody that can work on these and fixt them or is in now to old and junk?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No decent repair shop will take in any surround sound receiver. They are far too complex to work on, and most have problems with overheating chips that need reballing (google that!) Smile, and that sounds like what yours needs. The unit heats up, the solder joints under the SMT chips crack, and you're DOA.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a forum name like Munkynutz, maybe he's familiar with reballing? Wink (sorry, couldn't resist!)

More reflow/reballing info here if anyone's curious:

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rework_(electronics)#Reflowing_and_reballing

Most people outside of EE's and techs wouldn't know what this means, until the Xbox 360 had issues ~15 years ago that was so widespread that it became something more were familiar with.

Either way, good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laptops had a similar problem maybe 10-15 years ago. The Nvidia GPU ran hot though to eventually melt the solder, and then your laptop was DOA. The CPU &etc was still working, but the internal screen and external graphics port were dead.

My then-wife’s laptop had this problem. I turned it on, wrapped it in a towel, and let it run until it overheated and shut down - and then it worked fine. It got hot enough to reflow the solder joints. You can do similar things by baking it in the oven, or using a heat gun if you know what component has the problem. It’s a long shot, but if your Pioneer is a boat anchor otherwise, couldn’t hurt to try?

See e.g.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/The-curse-of-the-overheated-graphic-chips/td-p/5129052
https://hackaday.com/2011/02/24/heat-gun-gpu-reflow-fixes-laptop/
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Temporarily+Repair+a+Lost+Cause+Graphics+Card+by+Heating+it+up+in+an+oven/2240
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the HP DV series were known for it as well. I actually sent one down to some repair place that I found on eBay, and they did a really good job for the $100 they charged. It worked fine after that for 3-4 years. Consumer receivers though.. not so much.

The oven trick has never worked for me, but it does for some..
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had better luck than I did with my PS3. I took it to a local repair place 2-3 times and they would fix the RROD for maybe 3–6 months. I eventually gave up and got an actual DVD player for my theater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: