Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New Guy G70 Error Code 29

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gek

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: New Guy G70 Error Code 29 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Guys, I’m just getting into this hobby. I think I’m a little late to the party 😁. I picked up a G70, and it’s throwing error code 29. Looking for any guidance and first few steps I can take to diagnose and rectify the issue, so I can get it up and running. Thanks for any help in advance!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum. code 29 is "Abnormality on power to 'B' board"

See the G70 manuals archive here: http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG70_Downloads.shtm

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Gek

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum. code 29 is "Abnormality on power to 'B' board"

See the G70 manuals archive here: http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG70_Downloads.shtm

Thank you! Any insights into that? I’m coming from CRT broadcast monitors. Is that something that might just need recapping?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug the projector from the AC and go in make sure all the connectors on all the boards are secured. Look for the usual corrosion and broken solder joints particularly at the 'B' boards connectors. That's step 1. You can also have a look at the caps while you're in there.

Curt may pop in with some insite here too.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonys don't need recapping! That's an internet myth. The B board is the RGBHV input board. It likely needs to be replaced. I have no more G70 parts, someone on the forum might though?
Gek

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Sonys don't need recapping! That's an internet myth. The B board is the RGBHV input board. It likely needs to be replaced. I have no more G70 parts, someone on the forum might though?

Thanks, Curt. This unit has a couple of HDMI inputs. Is the B-board necessary to use the projector? I WOULD like to replace the board if possible, but could I remove it for now and use other inputs? Thanks.

Dan
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNless the HDMI board is loading down the B board causing the 29 error (pull the HDMI board and find out), the problem is on the B board. The HDMI signal passes to the B board, and you can't run the set without the B board in place.
Gek

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
UNless the HDMI board is loading down the B board causing the 29 error (pull the HDMI board and find out), the problem is on the B board. The HDMI signal passes to the B board, and you can't run the set without the B board in place.

Gotcha. I pulled the HDMI board. It’s still throwing code 29. So to be clear, is there no chance at repairing the B-board? Is replacing it the only option? If so, is this forum the best place to find a replacement board? Thanks again for taking the time.

Dan
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, put up a separate post looking for a B board. It's all SMT stuff on the B board, even I won't work on those, back when I was repairing those boards.
Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the RGB input board (sometimes called the 'b board') in the bottom of this page to see what Curt means about all of the surface mount technology (SMT) parts: http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG70_Layout4.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Gek

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys! I’ll make a separate post.

Dan
Gek

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I know I've only had my post up in the buy/sell section for a short time, but I've found a G70VRU unit for sale. It was pulled from a planetarium, it looks like it's in good shape, and the tubes have about 4000 hours on them. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is $1500 a fair price to pay for something like this? 4000 hours seems relatively low, and the seller was originally asking $4000, so that FEELS like a deal, but...is it?

2) Are the parts between the two units interchangeable, and could I use my code 29 g70 for spare parts in the future?

Like I mentioned before, I'm a complete noob, so I have no experience with pricing at this point (or anything else crt projector related, for that matter). I'm drawn to the deep blacks these projectors produce and the tinkering aspects of this hobby. As I also mentioned, I'm into CRT consumer tvs and pro monitors, so there's a fascination with CRT tech in general. Also, I'm closing in my carport for a media/hobby room, and I'm planning part of it around a CRT projector. Thanks again.

Dan
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gek wrote:
So, I know I've only had my post up in the buy/sell section for a short time, but I've found a G70VRU unit for sale. It was pulled from a planetarium, it looks like it's in good shape, and the tubes have about 4000 hours on them. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is $1500 a fair price to pay for something like this? 4000 hours seems relatively low, and the seller was originally asking $4000, so that FEELS like a deal, but...is it?

2) Are the parts between the two units interchangeable, and could I use my code 29 g70 for spare parts in the future?

Like I mentioned before, I'm a complete noob, so I have no experience with pricing at this point (or anything else crt projector related, for that matter). I'm drawn to the deep blacks these projectors produce and the tinkering aspects of this hobby. As I also mentioned, I'm into CRT consumer tvs and pro monitors, so there's a fascination with CRT tech in general. Also, I'm closing in my carport for a media/hobby room, and I'm planning part of it around a CRT projector. Thanks again.

Dan

Thats overpriced and by a long shot IMO. To give you a reference point I'll be selling my G90 in its factory shipping crate with a full set of spare boards, Moome card and similar hours for $1750.
Gek

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
Gek wrote:

Dan

Thats overpriced and by a long shot IMO. To give you a reference point I'll be selling my G90 in its factory shipping crate with a full set of spare boards, Moome card and similar hours for $1750.

PM sent.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to HaydnG90's points, the only CRT projectors that are really worth much these days are 9" units like his G90 (assuming the tubes are in reasonable shape). All others (including an 8" G70) people are typically not able to give away even for free.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: