Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT projector installation questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: CRT projector installation questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was hoping to pick the brains of some of you CRT projector geniuses for a couple of things I'm stuck on...

The installation manual for my CRT projector keeps saying I need to remove the curtain blanking circuit jumper (to disable it) for set-up. Can anyone here explain to me what this is and why it's necessary for installation?

I can find the jumper on the circuit board and follow the first part of their instructions. They just don't seem to ever mention putting the jumper back. I figured if I knew what it was for, I might intuitively know when to reattach the jumper...

What tools (if any) do you guys use to lift CRT projectors? I am assuming those who ceiling mount must have a trick. Curt's back would have crumbled to dust by now if not...

I can lift heavy stuff with my shop crane but I'm less clear how to move a heavier 9" model down stairs.

Were there ever any short throw lenses sold for CRT rear projection set-ups? I know they must have existed for CRT rear projection TVs but I'm interested in using a regular crt projector to make a larger rear screen. I want to use it for light gun games which work better with rear projection.

Has anyone here ever made a CRT rear projection set-up?
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be helpful to know which Pj
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After making the precise measurements on the ground between the projector and the wall, I mounted the ceiling bracket respecting these measurements and then piece by piece I mounted the pj to the ceiling, it was the only way to lift 85kg
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have used the 4 chain method

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
You are right but I did not have the 4 chains and not even any type of lifter, moreover I had to do everything myself so for safety reasons I preferred to disassemble the pj on the ground and then reassemble it on the ceiling ..
everything went well Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Is the "4 chains method" making some kind of pully?
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:

They're all general questions.

What is a blanking circuit?

How do you lift CRT projectors?

Were short throw lenses available for CRT projectors?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
HaydnG90 wrote:

They're all general questions.

But they are not, as the reasons maybe specific. For example, you wrote: "The installation manual for my CRT projector keeps saying I need to remove the curtain blanking circuit jumper (to disable it) for set-up."

I've never heard of that, so some context would help.

Quote:
How do you lift CRT projectors?

Lots of different ways, lots of threads on it from using chains to lifts, to just taking out the cards/removing the lenses and getting 2 people to lift. Search the forum for "Crt projector mounting". Examples:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35634
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13704
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24117

There are also articles in the tech section of the main site.

Quote:
Were short throw lenses available for CRT projectors?

That also depends on the projector. You can't just mount any lens on any projector. Normally people would use a mirror if they have limited space. Basically the same as having short throw without having to do short throw.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you downloaded and read the manual for your mystery projector?? Most of the answers you want are in there👍
View user's photo album (4 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT projector installation questions Reply with quote

Missed this one:

Zebra wrote:

Some have here, there have been many discussions about it over the years, including pics people posted. I remember at least one or two well known forum members posting about it with their setups. Here's one long thread: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34646

I suggest you search the forum as otherwise you're not going to get many (if any) answers. Mostly because all of the people that did this have long ago left the building. There's only a very small handful of CRT projector owners left here so asking questions like this isn't going to get you anywhere I'm afraid, especially with something as niche as doing a CRT projector rear projection setup (very few did this).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
the "blanking" is used to reduce the amount of active beam in the raster, this is used to resize the image or to avoid ringing usually on the left side of the screen,
cut a part of the image at the sides or above and below

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 4 chain method failed for me - had one s-hook slip out and then the other 2 snapped when i was relocating the 4th hook.

ecp lept for the ground. made a key-rash tinkle tinkle tinkle noise. killed it dead.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
the 4 chain method failed for me - had one s-hook slip out and then the other 2 snapped when i was relocating the 4th hook.

ecp lept for the ground. made a key-rash tinkle tinkle tinkle noise. killed it dead.

Ah then maybe an 8 chain method?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You musta had wimpy hardware, John. My four-chain system could easily hold me (180 lbs) and my two kids (maybe 200 pounds total)! No way would the projector weight have snapped anything.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys
at the time i had one chain detached to hike that corner of the projector up, i "think" what happened was the direct opposite slipped out, then projector swung fast snapping the other 2 s-hooks. all happened pretty fast. i was left, balanced precariously on a ladder about 6 feet above the ground (12 foot stud), with one chain with s-hook in my hand, another swinging in the breeze, two snapped s-hooks and a large pile of electrical detritus and smashed lenses on the floor. oh, with a look of wtf just happened with a dose of dismay for good measure.

surprisingly, my insurance company were unbelievably good - they replaced the ECP with a sony ruby. had the option for a new cine7 but the ruby seemed the way of the future.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that in my mind's eye..glad nobody was hurt! My 4 chain was like Gary's.. hella stout everything, and I could only lift it a couple links each time each corner..round and round for well over an hour.. and because it was lifting up into a well on the ceiling the PJ has to be on a raised plinth that is on the platform that the corner hooks attached to with climbing slings... Ah, good times!!
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walteritaly wrote:
Zebra wrote:
the "blanking" is used to reduce the amount of active beam in the raster, this is used to resize the image or to avoid ringing usually on the left side of the screen,
cut a part of the image at the sides or above and below

Thanks

I should have figured it would be the one thing with a literal name.

With that being the case, it seems like I should be sizing the image before disabling the blanking circuit, or I'd risk having the image cut off at the sides. Or, waiting to the end to size the image.

It seems reasonable to assume that I should reinstall the blanking circuit jumper second to last - i.e. after all the convergence, focus and shaping adjustments.

It also doesn't seem like there would be any fatal consequences to the projector if I try looking at the image both with and without the jumper installed, so I can see for myself what the difference is.
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT projector installation questions Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Missed this one:

Zebra wrote:

Some have here, there have been many discussions about it over the years, including pics people posted. I remember at least one or two well known forum members posting about it with their setups. Here's one long thread: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34646

I suggest you search the forum as otherwise you're not going to get many (if any) answers. Mostly because all of the people that did this have long ago left the building. There's only a very small handful of CRT projector owners left here so asking questions like this isn't going to get you anywhere I'm afraid, especially with something as niche as doing a CRT projector rear projection setup (very few did this).

Kal

I'm not looking for general rear projection info. I've built many rear projection set-ups in my time. I'm specifically interested in the lenses people use for CRT rear set-ups.

I've always needed a short throw lens when I've built DLP rear projection set-ups. I want to know if these were commonly sold for CRT projectors.

It's a horrible topic to search for because the results on search engines and forums are always saturated with rear projection TV stuff.

But, if there is nobody left here with a rear set-up, and nobody knows, then that's that.
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
You musta had wimpy hardware, John. My four-chain system could easily hold me (180 lbs) and my two kids (maybe 200 pounds total)! No way would the projector weight have snapped anything.

How were you attaching chains to a crt projector? Did your projector have handles or equivalent? Or did you put the projector on some kind of platform and attached the chains to that?

The Vidikron Pininfarina case I'm looking at is the least practical, hardest to hold, most slippery and poorly design projector enclosure I've ever seen. I can't imagine trying to lift one like that with chains unless there was something strong to attach them to.

Maybe ropes with a little grip to them.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted my G90 single handedly. I have the Sony ceiling mount that comes in 2 pieces.one plate attached to the pj and the other is secured to the ceiling joists. I mounted a Harbor Freight winch in the ceiling space above the HT, dropped the line and secured it to the pj plate. Basically running wire in an X config to which I attached the winch line. Using the wired remote control I carefully raised the pj to the ceiling and married the two halves of the Sony mount together. Left everything in place to provide an extra level of security. Simples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: