Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I broke down and bought a 77" LG CX OLED and its beauti

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: I broke down and bought a 77" LG CX OLED and its beauti Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The last three weeks the wife and I have been spending a lot of time using the new Organic LED TV. My love for black levels and contrast ratios was spoon feeding me gobs of goodness in the form of a shovel. But now i'm left with the feeling of guilt, guilt I tell you, because my home theater is being neglected. If only I could get a 2.35 120" wide OLED product I would be willing to get a second mortgage for it.

And while I have not seen the developments in projection for the past decade, I can't imagine they can get anywhere near this level of BL/CR. So, now I am buying new components for the TV room of all places. Got a new AVR, disc player and 4K streaming stick and bought some new, although very inexpensive low-end Paradigm speakers for the room.

On one hand I feel dirty for buying a TV to watch content for critical viewing not in a theater. I feel like a traitor of sorts. At least the room is almost as dark as the batcave theater with good light control. Oh God, a new feeling just hit me, I feel like I've cheated on my other wife (HT).

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah that is awesome... I find the image a little "harsh" ( ?) hard to explain but like HD and 4K when it first came out, it might just be a matter of getting used to it. I know our TV gets lots more use than the HT these last few years... to the point my oldest son wants to adopt the HT room as a jam space for him and his musician pals ... I spent a lot of time and energy decoupling the room... Smile I am dragging my feet on giving it over, mostly ( to be honest.. ) because they are actually getting pretty damn good and I enjoy listening to them jam when they are upstairs in the house Smile

what kind of TV did you buy?
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 77" Oled in my TV room and a projector (with an anamorphic lens) in my basement "theater".

Two different jobs. The Oled certainly has the best contrast and no other tech comes close but that doesn't mean it always provides the best experience. For a theater room for movies, it's more important to have a larger screen.

Until someone releases an affordable 150" Oled (or at least 120"+) there will be a need for both.

Basically, if Panasonic released a sub $5000 version of their 152" 4k plasma, I'd never buy another projector.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling guys.
I got a 65 inch oled tv for my birthday a couple years ago(got it on clearance at Walmart as they was getting in the new year tvs)
It’s been in the living room so the whole family can use it and it sure sees a lot of use(gotta admit 4k hdr is amazing!)

I have used it more then my projector in the same amount of time(yes I do feel bad after having gone through the time and work to get my theater setup just the way I want it)
I haven’t seen if the new projectors can do better at blacks then they used to but I’m good mind doing a blend for 4k just in case a digital doesn’t come up to snuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: