Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Signal Warfare - Marquee 8500 VS TV Set-Top Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
innof

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good evening to everyone. I hope that all is well with each of you.

Much gratitude and many blessings for all of your continued support, it is immensely appreciated.

Very well then, pictures shall be forthcoming by tomorrow - I promise.

I did also do a little more tweaking today and took heed to another issues which may be related here; When displaying the internally generated white screen, it appears "wrinkled" in the extreme left hand portion of the screen (I will also provide pictures of this).

So, I never did really set-up a projector from scratch but do have some limited experience with an ECP-4500 which Curt very graciously guided me through many tribulations.

And, yes, these protocols are indeed quite complex and require meticulous attention to delay. I have also taken heed to the fact ocular fatigue for me sets in relatively quickly and having your faculties betray you is not necessarily going to contribute to a rock solid set-up.

Definitely more to come! So far, I am happy and motivated to push on 👍
innof

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Tim. I do apologize for specifically mentioning you here, I may not be properly recollecting the proper forum member (it was quite a long time ago).

This particular projector does indeed have a set of "special" color tinted lens which are apparently not very common. And, the tubes are literally brand new; I do not believe that they have more than 100 hours on them.

However, the electronics are obviously in no way brand new and this is what primarily concerns me as far as both stability and reliability are concerned.

Nonetheless, I absolutely want to maximize my enjoyment of this particular unit yet am not prepared to dedicate any significant amount of resources towards it.

Cheers ⭐
innof

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gentlemen. So, the first enigma seems to have been effectively solved as it regards the perceived "crooked" lines when displaying the crosshatch. The issue had nothing to do with the projector and moreover with the screen.

Given that I took heed to the fact that the phenomenon could not bee seen while looking directly into the tube I defaulted to the only other feasible culprit and noted that the screen is not perfectly flat (it has some slight undulations as it is draped down). When I attempt to pull it taut in the quadrants where this was noted, it seemed to resolve the perceived distortion.

Obviously not ideal, but I will have to live with it. When an image is displayed, it does not seem to be discernable. However, if a menu is pictured, then the anomality is evident.
innof

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as far as the other issue is concerned, when projecting the internal full white image from the crosshatch menu, here is what I am seeing; There seems to be some sort of "crushing" concentrated only on a small segment of the left hand portion of the screen running vertically (they appear like ripples).

I have no clue what this may be, or, if it was precipitated by me

Marquee 8500_edit pic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.39 KB
 Viewed:  4027 Time(s)

Marquee 8500_edit pic.jpg

innof

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do let me know what your thoughts are.

Thank You 🙂
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like "raster ringing". Search the forum for it. Common issue.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
innof

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal. Thank you kindly for replying, I do appreciate it ⭐

I will start doing some research on this.

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raster ringing is a very common issue, not only with Marquee projectors but any CRT (since it's raster related). Examples:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32376
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40584
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41486
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=476016
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=475073
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125036
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23481

There's even a tech bulletin to fix ringing but not sure if it's the same ringing: http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/ElectrohomeMarqueeTechnicalBulletin_VDCDS_TFB_003.pdf

Some with video processors (like a Radiance) will use a wider raster width so that a large front porch can be used to allow the image to stabilize before it gets into the active image area.

I remember doing something similar with my Barco projectors where I would increase the raster size so that the left side was off the tube face but I put the active image area all the way to the right in the raster within the active phosphor. Same idea.

Understanding how the active image and raster work in important when setting up a CRT projector: http://www.curtpalme.com/TubeRasterSetup.shtm
Every projector will have different ways of adjusting.

Kal

innof

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good (late) evening Kal. As usual, this is all absolutely wonderful information.

From what I was able to comprehend, the core of this issue is related to "ringing caused by the resonance of the interwinding capacitance of the horizontal deflection yoke and any series inductance; That includes the wires connecting the HDM and the yokes"

It seems that you have outlined a manner by which to effectively contend with it in your reply; I need to examine the details in greater detail since I am assuming that it will necessarily require a complete reset of the system. Or, alternatively, investing in some highly modified boards which I am unable to invest in at this time.

I will report back as I continue to progress.

Cheers!
innof

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I did neglect to inquire, just how much (negative) impact does this anomaly have on the actual picture?

Thank You Very Much!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

innof wrote:
Incidentally, I did neglect to inquire, just how much (negative) impact does this anomaly have on the actual picture?

Thank You Very Much!

From electrical standpoint none, it is totally up to the viewer's personal tolerance. It is more visible with light content.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
From electrical standpoint none, it is totally up to the viewer's personal tolerance. It is more visible with light content.

+1

innof wrote:
It seems that you have outlined a manner by which to effectively contend with it in your reply; I need to examine the details in greater detail since I am assuming that it will necessarily require a complete reset of the system.

Not necessarily. Increase raster width, move the active image area to the right of the raster to get it away from the ringing area, then center on the tube face. You'll probably need to do some minor convergence geometry adjustments too. The whole thing should take 5-10 to do for someone experienced with Marquee setup. How much you can get rid of it depends also on the porch sizes created by the source device, so no way to know ahead of time how much this'll help. I suggest just trying it to see.

Kal

innof

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Folks 🙂 I hope that everyone is doing well.

Alright then, I will continue my tweaking efforts here 👍

Can someone kindly comment on whether it is best to be running a signal through the projector when first setting it up and have none and then only afterwards accordingly input a signal ?

Thank you very much!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

innof wrote:
Can someone kindly comment on whether it is best to be running a signal through the projector when first setting it up and have none and then only afterwards accordingly input a signal ?

Depends what you mean by "setting it up". Much of the initial setup (especially mechanical) can be done the built in test patterns, but when it comes to raster size and image positioning within the raster it's best to use an actual source signal so that you get the exact timings and porch settings that are offered by the source device. Different devices will offer different porch settings (for example). The resolution/refresh rate will also be exactly what you want.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: