Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH-G90 Focus Problems with good IC421??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harry27

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Sony VPH-G90 Focus Problems with good IC421?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My Sony VPH-G90 sadly has focus issues on all three tubes. The fine focus controls, specifically the MG focus, AQP, and DQP just isn't working for at least 50% of each tube. I pulled out the YA Board from my projector to find that it has one of the good serial numbers on the IC421, 836A01E. Other details include that the Dallas Chip is about 22 years old and never changed.

Some people told me that it could be another issue on the YA Board that is not related to the IC421 chip, but also have told me that there could be another issue with a different board that relates to focus.

(There are some other issues on my projector, weird outlining, wavy horizontal lines moving, trouble with overscan, and a finger print smudge on the inside of the Red tube lens, but the main issue is the focus)

I'm no expert so I wouldn't know where to start, all advice and help is greatly appreciated!

Sony G90 focus.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Sony G90 focus.jpg
 Filesize:  461.28 KB
 Downloaded:  271 Time(s)

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk the Craig. @CIR Engineering. At this point he is the only person doing board level repairs for the G90. Any error codes?
First though get that Dallas chip copied and replaced. Craig can also do that.
If he can't fix your issue he has spare YA boards.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send the YA board to Craig Rounds for testing. Repairs typically run around $1000 US though, not sure what he charges to check the board out. With all of the issues you're describing, yes, the YA board is suspect. Change that Dallas chip too!.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Repairs typically run around $1000 US though, not sure what he charges to check the board out.

I doubt it. I paid considerably less than that last year to repair an issue with my YA. Replacement YA's with good IC421's are $1K, although the issue is elsewhere in this instance.
harry27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HaydnG90! There are thankfully no error codes on the projector. I'm surprised the Dallas chip has lasted this long, but the operational hours of the set is just barely under 10,000 hours (around 9850) and the tubes have about 1850 hours on them.

Hopefully Craig notices this post so he can direct me to the best way to contact him. I tried contacting through his eBay page before, a friend of mine had success that way but I haven't. Hopefully it's as simple as him fixing the YA Board and not an issue with the other boards. I know electrolytic capacitors have a lifespan of about 20 years for CRT monitors, considering these things are all approaching the 20+ year mark so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue somewhere else.

Even if the issue is not the YA Board it's worth sending the board in to get the Dallas Chip replaced
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry27 wrote:
Thanks HaydnG90! There are thankfully no error codes on the projector. I'm surprised the Dallas chip has lasted this long, but the operational hours of the set is just barely under 10,000 hours (around 9850) and the tubes have about 1850 hours on them.

Hopefully Craig notices this post so he can direct me to the best way to contact him. I tried contacting through his eBay page before, a friend of mine had success that way but I haven't. Hopefully it's as simple as him fixing the YA Board and not an issue with the other boards. I know electrolytic capacitors have a lifespan of about 20 years for CRT monitors, considering these things are all approaching the 20+ year mark so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue somewhere else.

Even if the issue is not the YA Board it's worth sending the board in to get the Dallas Chip replaced

That Dallas was a time bomb waiting to nuke those low hour tubes. Count yourself lucky. I wouldn't use that set again until the YA is checked out and that Dallas replaced. Craig has stock of genuine blank chips which he can copy your calibration files to the new chip. Contact him through his web page
https://www.cir-engineering.com
harry27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seriously was a time bomb, I was shocked when I contacted the seller a month ago to find out it was never replaced. A calibrator by the name of William Phelps set it up for him in 2008. I'm ironically lucky to have been so busy and that the focus problems have stopped me from using the projector for about a year. (There was a power outage a week before removing the YA Board but I don't think that caused any damage)

I'll definitely contact him there, hopefully we can arrange a time for a phone call and sort this all out Smile I'm excited to get it up and running again and finally do a full calibration of the set.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the SN on the Dallas? I have a hard time believing yours is working after 22 yrs more than twice the theoretical life expectancy.
harry27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
Whats the SN on the Dallas? I have a hard time believing yours is working after 22 yrs more than twice the theoretical life expectancy.

Here is a picture of the Dallas Chip on the YA Board

Compressed YA.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Compressed YA.jpg
 Filesize:  372.87 KB
 Downloaded:  274 Time(s)

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you weren't kidding week 52 1998. That battery must be nuclear powered
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, don't run the set until you put in a new Dallas chip. If the internal battery hits the low critical point while the set is on, you'll spot burn all three tubes. I've seen that a few times, as has Craig Rounds.
harry27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
BTW, don't run the set until you put in a new Dallas chip. If the internal battery hits the low critical point while the set is on, you'll spot burn all three tubes. I've seen that a few times, as has Craig Rounds.

Thanks Curt! I have isolated the board in a safe area and the projector is both power off and the switch is turned off. I haven't turned on the projector since about a week and a half before I made the post.

YA Board Alone.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  YA Board Alone.jpg
 Filesize:  350.04 KB
 Downloaded:  264 Time(s)

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry27 wrote:
HaydnG90 wrote:

Here is a picture of the Dallas Chip on the YA Board

I can't believe the battery isn't even bulging on that Dallas chip. I hope it still has it's data when it gets to me Embarassed

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
harry27

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fingers are crossed! Thankfully I took a picture of all the information ahead of time so even if the anti static bag fails I will still have the important info like tube hours, total operating hours, serial number, and firmware. So that's a silver lining even if it's not ideal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: