Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT Projectors are very loud. Tips?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperNatetendo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: CRT Projectors are very loud. Tips? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey! New guy here. Have owned my CRT projector for about a year, but there's one thing that as bugged me - the fan noise.

Do you guys have any tips on quieting this thing down? I hear some people put in fan mods, but I'm worried about if I choose the wrong fan and cause issues with over-heating.

Let me know some of your solutions!
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hush box is the most effective solution. Which pj do you have as a matter of interest?
SuperNatetendo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Sony VPH-1272Q. It was a cheap craigslist purchase that came with tons of cards, 2 switchers, and cables galore. Very cool entry-level projector. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

EDIT: Do hush-boxes cause issues with overheating?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNatetendo wrote:

Not if done correctly. In fact, when I had one in my previous home it actually kept the projector cooler than without a hushbox as I evacuated the heat to a different room. You can see how it was built here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Hushbox1.shtm

There's another article here as well: http://www.curtpalme.com/HushboxSupercooled1.shtm

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key thing is, build the hushbox with ventilation that pulls the heat out of the box. Which can result in more noise, if you're not careful. Kal's solution of venting to another room is the ideal approach, especially if the fans are in the other room. But you can build a self-contained box that pulls air through the PJ, and cools it at least as well as it would cool in open air. Do things like putting the fans inside the box, and then run the exhaust path back & forth through some insulated baffles to totally absorb all fan noise, before exhausting it to the outside of the box.

Just be aware that all the sound insulation, all the baffles, the PJ itself, etc increase the dynamic load on the fans. It's much harder to push air through an obstacle like that than to just spin the fan in open air, and the obstacles reduce the airflow that the fan can actually push. Don't go by the basic airflow number on the fan, which is "CFM in open air with no load." Make sure you look at the dynamic response of the fans, and pick fans that have an acceptable airflow under the planned load.

And BTW it doesn't have to be a work of art like Kal's -- mine sure wasn't !!! Laughing You just need to enclose and trap the noise, and run enough air through it to keep the PJ cool.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
And BTW it doesn't have to be a work of art like Kal's -- mine sure wasn't !!! Laughing

Mine (the first link I posted) is definitely nothing fancy! The second link I posted however - wow! They did something really special.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's right. I actually totally missed your first link, and I was thinking you had built the Ferrari hushbox. Very Happy
SuperNatetendo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
SuperNatetendo wrote:

Not if done correctly. In fact, when I had one in my previous home it actually kept the projector cooler than without a hushbox as I evacuated the heat to a different room. You can see how it was built here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Hushbox1.shtm

There's another article here as well: http://www.curtpalme.com/HushboxSupercooled1.shtm

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

Thank you! Currently my projector is not ceiling mounted. Do people usually only build hushboxes for ceiling mounted PJ or have you seen ways of making it for something on the floor?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build it into a coffee table, there's a few examples on the main website in the gallery section.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor mounted can certainly be done. Most prefer to ceiling mount if they can as on the floor most CRT projectors will eat up the best seat in the house.

I'm sure if you search this forum you'll find lots of examples. Probably some more here as well: http://www.curtpalme.com/Gallery.shtm

Good luck!

Kal

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also since you are running a Sony 1272, with an open eye you may be able to score a DWIN CRT projector which would have roughly the same performance and they don't have a fan in them...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. Though only the Dwin 500 didn't have a fan. The Dwin 700 has 3, though you wouldn't know it to hear it as it's still incredibly quiet. The 500 is literally dead silent. I remember standing right next to one in a demo room at an audio show in Montreal back in the 90s and other than the occasional 'ping' of high voltage electronics you heard nothing. They purposely were showing the opening scene of the Jodi Foster / Carl Sagan movie 'Contact' which goes dead silent for a few minutes as they pan out of the universe just to show how quiet it was. Unlike Sony models, Dwins are pretty rare however. Nearly impossible to find these days. More info: http://www.curtpalme.com/Dwin.shtm

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Dwin 700. Did it have 3 fans!? I don't remember that. But for sure the thing was basically dead silent. And it was so much smaller and lighter than all my 8" PJs!

The Dwin, like the Sony, is an ES (electrosatatic) focusing projector. If you've seen an EM (electromagnetic) focus PJ, it's a real comedown. The ES projectors have a much much softer, blurrier image. They just can't focus sharp, and they get worse as they age. But if you don't try to use the PJ to display your computer desktop, the ES projectors are fine for DVD movies. Don't bother with Blu-Rays because the projector can't display that much detail.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I had a Dwin 700. Did it have 3 fans!? I don't remember that.

I thought there was only one in the power supply and that's what I wrote in the paragraphs here (http://www.curtpalme.com/Dwin.shtm) where I say "Dwin added a tiny fan to the 700 power supply to offer slightly better cooling". But you scroll down to the table of specs I wrote "1 ultra-quiet power supply fan and two ultra-quiet fans in the belly". So I contradict myself! Not sure where I got that second sentence from but it's probably not a cut and paste error. Someone must have told me? It's too long ago to remember. Wink

Quote:
And it was so much smaller and lighter than all my 8" PJs!

Yeah, a person could pretty do a ceiling mount single handedly if they were strong enough (both were 65 lbs). By comparison something like a Sony 1272 is 141 lbs.

Quote:
The Dwin, like the Sony, is an ES (electrosatatic) focusing projector. If you've seen an EM (electromagnetic) focus PJ, it's a real comedown. The ES projectors have a much much softer, blurrier image. They just can't focus sharp, and they get worse as they age. But if you don't try to use the PJ to display your computer desktop, the ES projectors are fine for DVD movies. Don't bother with Blu-Rays because the projector can't display that much detail.

Dwin 500 was EM, Dwin 700 was ES. Extra info from Curt on Dwin page:

Quote:
The older 500 uses the technically better electromagnetic (EM) focusing while the newer 700 uses simpler electrostatic (ES) focusing. Focus quality is somewhat similar between the two models however given that the 700 uses newer Toshiba "large neck" tubes which are shaper to make up for the less advanced ES focusing.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I had a Dwin 700. Did it have 3 fans!? I don't remember that.

I think it was actually you that told me that Gary. Wink

See here for pics of your actual projector you sent me along with some text!: http://www.curtpalme.com/Dwin_Layout4.shtm

"The Dwin specs indicate that the HD700 has 1 small fan in the PS. Actually it also has 2 belly fans! But it's still extremely quiet. With my less-than-perfect hearing, it's hard to hear it more than 2-3' away."

Ha! Smile

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Well since you found such a trustworthy and unassailable source Smile I guess we'd better accept it!! Even if his memory is a bit faulty ...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost as faulty as mine! Wink

Kal

SuperNatetendo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Also since you are running a Sony 1272, with an open eye you may be able to score a DWIN CRT projector which would have roughly the same performance and they don't have a fan in them...

Unfortunately I'm in a part of the country where it'd be a miracle for ANY crt projector to be floating about. I'm honestly unsure how the guy I got it from acquired it.

That and I just have so many parts for this thing, it'd seem a waste to get a projector that's incompatible with all of them.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNatetendo wrote:

Unfortunately I'm in a part of the country where it'd be a miracle for ANY crt projector to be floating about. I'm honestly unsure how the guy I got it from acquired it.

That and I just have so many parts for this thing, it'd seem a waste to get a projector that's incompatible with all of them.

Nah, one could think the same for Hungary, good stuff just needs time to pop up...
Seriously, the question is how desperate you are. the Sony is considered a giveaway item at this point, but building a proper hushbox can be a demanding work.

On floor you can experiment with building a rustic coffee table from bricks or something massive (generally the heavier the thing the better the sound insulation is), you can keep fully open to the front so the fan noise would be directed forwards. Still you have to care about venting since hot air must not stuck in the aft section.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
SuperNatetendo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why are Sonys not-so-desirable? I'm very unfamiliar with differences in PJs.

I did consider building some sort of specialized table for the thing, although adding a bunch of bulk to the floor doesn't fit my fancy. Perhaps I really should consider getting the thing up on the ceiling.

Still looking into what goes into a fan-mod as well. There's some old AVS forum posts I've been digging through. Nothing substantial that I feel comfortable doing, yet.

Another question - is there a good way to measure how hot your PJ is getting? With any of these methods I don't want to assume it's all going well, when in reality I made a fatal mistake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: