Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Speed Test v 2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Speed Test v 2.0 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I remember we had a speed test going on here back in 2005-6ish time. Maybe someone can find and link to it?

IN the mean time. Post your speeds. Mine's pretty good today:

https://www.speedtest.net

07-07-2020 Speedtest by Ookla .png
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.57 KB
 Viewed:  13919 Time(s)

07-07-2020 Speedtest by Ookla .png

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is of course a wired connection.

I've been on Bell Fibe internet since 2011 when we moved into our new house. New(ish) neighbourhood so it's all fibre to the home, there's no copper at all. Bell has great service but questionable sales/marketing with their convoluted plans and deals. I continuously bounce between their 150 Mbps / 500 Mbps / 1 Gbps / 1.5 Gbps plans depending on which is cheapest or has discounts available at the time that the previous discount or deal expires. I used to be on 1 Gbps last year, now I'm on 500 Mbps for $49.95 CAD (about $37 USD). Unlimited bandwidth.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 100 Mbps connection over cable. $86 US for internet AND landline phone, no TV. I could pay a bit more to get higher bandwidth, but I really don't need it.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, frankly anything above 50 Mbps would be fine for our family of 4 and we're sometimes streaming 4 different things at the same time!
High speeds are only noticed when there's a massive file transfer that's happening. For example, but daughter bought a game off Steam a couple of days ago that was 162 Gb (!). At 50 Mbps that's nearly an 8 hour download while it's only 23 mins at 1 Gbps (assuming the server(s) can keep up of course).

My ISP's pricing is convoluted and nonsensical. I'm currently on 500 Mbps for $49.95 ($37 USD) due to a "deal" if you add on a $15 TV streaming service (called Bell Alt TV). We don't really use it, but it lowers the internet price lower than any of their other internet packages. If I go in to view the other packages available right now to me, here's the convoluted pricing:

1.5 Gbps: $89.95
1.0 Gbps: $79.95
500 Mbps: $64.95 (This is the one I'm on but only pay $49.95)
150 Mbps: $94.95
50 Mbps: $99.95
25 Mbps: $99.95
15 Mbps: $99.95

How's that for logical?

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, $99.95 for 15 Mbps, or $49.95 for 500 Mbps... tough choice... Laughing

I'm just happy it's improved so much over the years. When my then-wife and I quit our jobs in 1991 and started working from home, our ONLY option was 26 kbps (that's 0.026 Mbps!!) dial-up, and that was dicey. After a few years we paid $120 / mo for an IDSL connection that got us up to 120 kbps, woo hoo. (Too far out of town for a proper ADSL connection.) Then for a few years we had a dish on the roof pointing to a local bank tower. That worked well until the neighbor's trees got too tall. Finally the local cable service (I'm 1/4 mi outside Comcast's service area) started offering decent internet, and that's what I've had for about 15 years now.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really shouldn't be complaining. It wasn't that long ago that I was connected via a 14.4 modem, then 28.8, then 33.6, then 56K ... Paid a small fortune every modem upgrade too plus a second dedicated phone line as I was pretty much always connected. I remember thinking how lightning fast that 56K was when you connected near top speed on clean lines.

I remember my jaw dropping the first day I went from 56K (0.056 Mbps) to 5 Mbps DSL. Almost 100x faster, no dialing, no expensive modem upgrades needed, no additional phone line. A Christmas miracle!

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna say it...I miss dial up. Use to get it everywhere for free. I use to have my phone tied up so my friends would have to call me on the CB radio. Great times!

We sat on the same channel all the time and dubbed it the Computer Operators Call Channel or C.O.C.C. for short.

On the other hand I've been playing with different Linux distro's this past 2 weeks and I realize I can download. 1.8Gib ISO's in 45 seconds! Awesome.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
1.8tb ISO's in 45 seconds! Awesome.

You must mean 1.8 Gb? To do 1800 Gb (1.8 Tb) in 45 seconds you'd need a 5.7 Gbps connection! (Maybe next year) Wink

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
1.8Gib ISO's in 45 seconds! Awesome.

You must mean 1.8 Gb? To do 1800 Gb (1.8 Tb) in 45 seconds you'd need a 5.7 Gbps connection! (Maybe next year) Wink

Kal

Ooops typo, actual file size : 2.0 GB (1984790528 bytes), which is the true 1.8GiB

Corrected, the T is hanging too close the G on the keyboard. Yeah that's it. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next question would have been: What the hell kind of Linux distro is 1.8 terabytes in size??? (That sounds more like a Windows bloatware thing) Wink

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit I was figuring all the sizes and speeds and stuff and posted that it must be 1.8 GB, not TB. But you guys beat me to it.

I should be able to get over 12 MBps download. But it depends on the server. Just tried downloading an Ubuntu ISO, ran around 7 MBps.

You're running about 735/8 = 92 MBps. 1.8 GB / 92 MBps = about 19 sec, so maybe you're not getting your full speed on that download. My 7 MBps speed would download 1.8 GB in 256 seconds.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
My next question would have been: What the hell kind of Linux distro is 1.8 terabytes in size??? (That sounds more like a Windows bloatware thing) Wink

Kal

Ha my thoughts exactly. I have a small windows 10 tablet here with 32GB SSD, I haven't put anything on it but Skype and Win10 tells me the "Update" is 2.4GB! That's a whole operating system. Today I'm running Pepermint 10 OS 64bit on this dektop. Toptal size: 1.6 GB (1562378240 bytes) for an ENTIRE operating system! Even Linux Mint with way more stuff built in only hit's the 2GB mark. Windows is rediculous.

Here's a Windows 10 bad advice tip: if you don't care about updates ( like I don't on that $99 tablet that I only use for Skype) turn on the wireless metered connection. It will tell you you have exceded your WiFi limit and won't auto download the 2.6GB update Muuhhhhahhahahaha!

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Test v 2.0 Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I remember we had a speed test going on here back in 2005-6ish time. Maybe someone can find and link to it?

2007. It's here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4641

The first post make me sad as that Cliff (overclkr) is no longer with us.

On a lighter note, of the discussions are funny in 2020. Like Gary saying "27Mbps!? Holy SH*T that's some serious bandwidth".

I've certainly come a long way:

2007:

2020 (and this is 1/2 the speed it was last year!):

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Test v 2.0 Reply with quote

kal wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

2007. It's here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4641

The first post make me sad as that Cliff (overclkr) is no longer with us.

On a lighter note, of the discussions are funny in 2020. Like Gary saying "27Mbps!? Holy SH*T that's some serious bandwidth".

I've certainly come a long way:

2007:

2020 (and this is 1/2 the speed it was last year!):

Kal

Yeah I forgot he started this. My old cable connection less than 2mps lol

CRT.

HD done right!
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results of those internet speed tests are entirely unreliable. I remember complaining to Verizon a few years back that I was paying for 150mbps (download) but the tests showed that I was getting closer to 25mbps.

At the time, I had tried six different internet speed calcs. All showed different results but all were a lot lower than what I was paying (extra) for. The Verizon tech came over and, using Verizon's own speed calc site, it showed close to 150mbps...

Anyway, I learned that the number I paid for only applied for direct connections to their site. Every other site varied tremendously based on a whole bunch of other bottle-necks. You could literally pay for double the speed and gain nothing on the sites you use most.

I concluded that I was being conned for paying so much more for extra speed. I downgraded my plan to Verizon's cheapest at the time (in NYC) and I found no noticeable difference for streaming or downloading content.

My point is that the only meaningful speed test is for the speed on actual sites you use. You could easily find that you max out on Netflix at a tiny fraction of the speed you pay for. Or that it's no quicker downloading a game from your fav site using the most expensive internet package VS their entry level broadband.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most agree that a much better overall speed test is here: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
It hits multiple locations and also looks at buffer bloat.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
The results of those internet speed tests are entirely unreliable. I remember complaining to Verizon a few years back that I was paying for 150mbps (download) but the tests showed that I was getting closer to 25mbps.

I have been paying for 500 unlimited, their cheapest package here and I constantly get 750-760 on Linux ISO downloads . I'm a distro hopper. I can download a new ISO in 45-50 seconds vs a hullofalongtime with the old connection here.

I agree, the way Verizon writes their TOS makes them tossers. We only guaranty speeds to our servers. blah blah blah.

I'm mostly happy with my current connection. It fits what I like to do. As an aside, I was just about to lower my plan to the lowest tier when they came up with this 500 unlimited for $3 more than their cheapest 15mps speed.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Most agree that a much better overall speed test is here: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
It hits multiple locations and also looks at buffer bloat.

Kal

Same speeds here too:

Screenshot_2020-07-24 30ms 739 6 20 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.12 KB
 Viewed:  13664 Time(s)

Screenshot_2020-07-24 30ms 739 6 20 2.png

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always been happy as well with my "actual" speeds. Anything above about 10-15 Mbps is more than is required for 99% of the internet including streaming. Only time I notice an up-tick in speed is when I download large binaries (like 10 gig backups of this forum because you guys are such blabbermouths). But in that case if the download takes 10 mins vs 60 mins, who cares? I only subscribe to the 500 mbps service today because my provider (Bell canada) plays silly marketing/pricing games that has me jumping between 50-150-500-1000 mbps speeds based on whatever package is on "sale". Really make little difference to me. My kids may disagree when they download 100-200 Gig games off of Steam.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Always been happy as well with my "actual" speeds. Anything above about 10-15 Mbps is more than is required for 99% of the internet including streaming. Only time I notice an up-tick in speed is when I download large binaries (like 10 gig backups of this forum because you guys are such blabbermouths). But in that case if the download takes 10 mins vs 60 mins, who cares? I only subscribe to the 500 mbps service today because my provider (Bell canada) plays silly marketing/pricing games that has me jumping between 50-150-500-1000 mbps speeds based on whatever package is on "sale". Really make little difference to me. My kids may disagree when they download 100-200 Gig games off of Steam.

Kal

I don't do steam. I tried it wayyyy back, never played right on Win98 and just felt like one huge add. I prefer to collect games on disk., Man I miss the 90's! Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: