Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rest in Peace, CRT fans.........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys

"There will always be some that wont have the means to follow the development, and capabilities to get the most of it, MP and Tim seems good examples of some that have lost track of time."

CRTs as a business are not something I can spend a lot of time on. I went from selling four projectors a month (2006) to two projectors all of last year. MP said he was all done with mods but it sounds like he still has a slight interest; I doubt it will lead to anything.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
MP said he was all done with mods but it sounds like he still has a slight interest; I doubt it will lead to anything.

Not at all, I'm done.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I think about 7-8 years ago it turned ugly on occasion, where the entry level guys were sneered at a bit, and the tweakers that really got into the tweaking and modding end of things started bashing each other. Some forum members (not just here)got downright nasty, to the point where some got booted from here.

I think there were quite a few people that actually did not have an interest primarily in Home Theater or movies. They were instead interested in tweaking and the technology behind CRT. The equivalent of gear heads who enjoy adjusting their internal combustion engines (ICE) / carburetors more than actually driving their car.

That's fine of course, but then as the days wore on CRT projectors became scarcer and scarcer so these people got annoyed that their hobby was disappearing and we saw lots of vocal yelling/screaming here. They were literally being left behind by their friends and other hobbyists, as many here started talking digital. Ironically we're seeing the same thing in the car industry with the move towards electric. Lots of gear heads seem pissed off that electric exists at all. They're seeing the start of the disappearance of their hobby and they're none too happy about it: https://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/news/ice-ing-trend-sees-trucks-block-tesla-charging-stations

I've always been in it for the movie reproduction aspect. I wanted whatever could best recreate what the director intended in my home. In the early and mid 90s that was unequivocally CRT. The digitals I saw back there would insanely bad looking. I remember being in high end showrooms in the late 80s and even early to mid 90s looking at digital projectors wondering "how could anyone possibly think this in any way looks reasonable". Yeah, it was a big picture with lots of light but man, was it ugly. Horrible screen door (480p at the time), black levels that was bright grey, horrible contrast ratio (partially because of the raised black level) and pastel colours. One shop had a Sony D50 CRT projector on display that was light years ahead even though it was older tech. Asking price in the mid 90s was around $20K and I vowed that I'd save my pennies. Of course, a few years later when I had a house with a basement I came across Curt and the rest was history. Wink

Then in the mid 2000s (2006/2007 timeframe) I started seeing JVC DILA digital projectors like the RS1 and thought "ok, now they're on to something". It still had a lot of lumps and warts but it was a step in the right direction. By the time I wanted / needed to retire my CRT in 2013 digital had (IMHO) surpassed CRT in pretty much every aspect and I happily switched.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people gets overly serious about these sometimes. Kal's car analogy is good. Think CRT projectors as a Mazda MX-5, while not the fastest roadster out there it is still fun to ride, also some people even spend money on hot rodding an MX-5 even though they are well aware it won't beat an SL Mercedes.
CRT may be surpassed in some/most aspects, but that does not make it worse by any means. IMHO If it was good for movie watching 10 years ago it still is today.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 years ago I watched allot of test patterns. Then I discovered movies and found CRT's true calling. Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
IMHO If it was good for movie watching 10 years ago it still is today.

Agreed 110% !

This is something I've never understood and it doesn't only apply to CRT. Whenever something "newer" comes out many will automatically think what they have (and loved the day before) is no longer adequate. If you loved the quality and performance of any product one day that quality and performance is the same the week later when a newer version of the product or a competing product is released. I found this sort of mentality was much worse with digital projector owners than CRT, probably because there were newer versions available every year.

I guess some people just can't stand the idea that what they own isn't the newest.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's not me. I prefer to keep using and enjoying something, often until I wear it out. I'm still driving my 2002 Saab, and still enjoying it. I'd like to put at least 20 years and 200k miles on it (currently at 185k) before I think of replacing it. Same with my HT gear. I swapped out several CRTs, but that was mostly because it was fun to learn and use the different models. (Plus they all had "issues" I was trying to avoid.) I've had my RS45 for 3 years and I'm still perfectly happy with it. I just noticed a nearby seller offering an RS46 for only $400 (!!!!!) and it was tempting, but I don't need it. My RS45 is fine for my needs.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Same here. Been using my RS56 since 2013. Very happy. Is there better? Of course. Does it make my RS56 worse? Of course not.

$400 for an RS46 may be a good price but if you don't need it, you're actually out $400 (at least that's the way I look at it).

Kal

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Agreed 110% !

This is something I've never understood and it doesn't only apply to CRT. Whenever something "newer" comes out many will automatically think what they have (and loved the day before) is no longer adequate. If you loved the quality and performance of any product one day that quality and performance is the same the week later when a newer version of the product or a competing product is released. I found this sort of mentality was much worse with digital projector owners than CRT, probably because there were newer versions available every year.

I guess some people just can't stand the idea that what they own isn't the newest.

Kal

Thats why my flat panels are all plasma and not LED. Huge downgrade in image. OLED has sort of evened that up but my 60" Pioneer Kuro 141FD signature's which I picked up cheap on CL (thanks to others upgraditis) offer everything I want for now.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! We have 3 flat panel TVs around the house, purchased over the last 15 years or so. The best looking one is the oldest, which is plasma. The other two are LED (but not OLED). Partially my fault I suppose as I didn't want to spring for better image quality OLED on the last two since I never watch them and those that do tell me they don't notice any difference. Wink

Kal

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped Canon's SED technology would have come to something. That seemed to be the natural tech innovation to replace plasma. Most consumers don't really care about image quality. So long as its big, bright and colorful.
banzairun

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:

Not at all, I'm done.

Maybe release your notes to help along people that are still using, then?

Maybe in 20 years we'll have some dude with an apron and beard in Brooklyn making artisanal CRTs to keep the classics alive. Get the good info out there.

(disclaimer: not a Marquee user)
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banzairun wrote:

Maybe release your notes to help along people that are still using, then?

I've tried that, but the guy that the handful is waiting on (as they tell me) seems to rather make things happen on his on.

Quote:
Maybe in 20 years we'll have some dude with an apron and beard in Brooklyn making artisanal CRTs to keep the classics alive..............

I'd rather think we are already at the 20 year later point. It has been about 20 years that I've started doing mods. Not really much the last 5 though. But in that time period, there was a lot going on back then concerning mods... now.. I think much like what happen when they retired the Space Shuttle. There became a time to move on as the shuttle had served it's purpose and had become obsolete. CRT technology had become obsolete many years ago, with this and other forums being the push to keep things alive for the sake of those who did not want to go digital. Today's digital is not the digital of the past.

I have a customer that ask me to mount a plasma flat screen on the wall. After I mounted it, the guy said why are you still looking at it like that. I told him, I'm shocked that the image looks that good on an older technology TV. I then later was asked to help mount an thrift store purchased Panasonic plasma for a lady. the thing was heavy but had an amazing picture. Much better than what I'm seeing with the other and newer model flat screens. I think I'll be on the look out for a plasma for my bedroom.

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Agreed 110% !

Kal

You'd love the software industry. Very Happy I swear people change tech stacks just for fun. It's one of the things I don't like about my industry.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who's led development teams for the last 15-20 years, I get that!

Kal

Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing CRT VS digital is too complicated for generalizations and somewhat pointless.

If you were to compare a $30,000 -$50,000 CRT like a G90 or a 909 to a current digital of similar value (after an adjustment for inflation) with a UHD Blu Ray, there is no question. The latest high end 3-chip devices will deliver a better experience. I saw a Barco Thor recently - a 15,000 lumen rgb laser 3-dlp with ansi contrast of 1000:1. It was head and shoulders above any other projector I have ever seen for watching a UHD Blu Ray.

However, most people could only dream of owning a projector in that class. A large percentage of people are buying devices in the $2,000-$5,000 range. I have yet to see an entry level digital that can match the top 9" CRT projectors. That includes any of the entry level lcos devices (including JVC).

At lot of the regurgitated mythology you see on forums about how much projection tech has advanced in recent years is based on manufacturers spec sheets. It's true that their stated full on / full off CR numbers have grown arms and legs in recent years but most of these gains have not shown up on screen.

I was talking to someone recently who "upgraded" from a Runco Q750i (1080p DLP with a 20,000:1 CR) to a 4k LG HU80KA. On paper, the LG offers significantly better specs for a fraction of the price. The stated CR is 150,000:1. It has HDR and 4x the brightness etc. It even won awards. In reality though, the LG HU80kA is nowhere near a 10 year old entry level 1080p runco like the Q750i (or a G90 CRT). It looks horrible by comparison. It's not even close. The LG went back on ebay Immediately.

If you only have $2,000 to spend, you're almost certainly going to be better off with an older higher end used device than the latest $2k box. It's not worth trading down for features like HDR or a UHD or 4k native res. And depending on the content and room lighting, CRT can still be a good fit for some people.

I like to own more than one because no projector is optimal for all my content. Don't choose, get both!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:

If you only have $2,000 to spend, you're almost certainly going to be better off with an older higher end used device than the latest $2k box. It's not worth trading down for features like HDR or a UHD or 4k native res. And depending on the content and room lighting, CRT can still be a good fit for some people.

I like to own more than one because no projector is optimal for all my content. Don't choose, get both!

I agree.

Later video with digital front projection Halloween eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXLKYoutF7U

Kind of an evolution over the years...

CRT.

HD done right!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:

I was talking to someone recently who "upgraded" from a Runco Q750i (1080p DLP with a 20,000:1 CR) to a 4k LG HU80KA. On paper, the LG offers significantly better specs for a fraction of the price. The stated CR is 150,000:1. It has HDR and 4x the brightness etc. It even won awards. In reality though, the LG HU80kA is nowhere near a 10 year old entry level 1080p runco like the Q750i (or a G90 CRT). It looks horrible by comparison. It's not even close. The LG went back on ebay Immediately.

That's interesting, because Runco never manufactured anything. They modded stuff, some of it very poorly apparently, so how was the LG worse?
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Zebra wrote:

That's interesting, because Runco never manufactured anything. They modded stuff, some of it very poorly apparently, so how was the LG worse?

They were definitely more like assemblers than component manufacturers but I only know of a few models that were rebadged but otherwise identical units.

If you take a projector and replace components with the best lenses, processing and light sources etc, is it still the same projector? I guess that's a matter of opinion but mine is that it's all in the implementation.

With Runco, regardless whether it's one of their own models like the Vx-22d or a rebadged but tweaked Christie like their VX-44d, they were all top notch projectors. Great processing, superior glass and excellent color calibration capability. Made for the most exclusive HT rooms.

Compared to an LG HU80KA, a Runco Q750I produces significantly better image clarity and motion handling, it's contrast and gamma control is in a different league. It's color calibration out the box and with it's user calibration controls is so much better that it's not even worth comparing. The build quality and QC is better as it is with all high end projectors. It's like comparing a Sherman tank to a cheap Chinese camera when you pick them up.

You can see details in the Runco image, particularly dark shadow detail, that is simply not there on the LG image. Complex dark shadow detail on the Q750I becomes a solid black (or dark gray ) bland image on the LG. Fast moving scenes are jittery on the LG or forced to look unnatural when LGs smooth motion settings are used. The Q750I produced very smooth motion even on the most challenging 24fps content. They are very nice projectors although not the brightest.

If you were used to a Runco Q750i, you certainly wouldn't look at the image on an LG HU80KA and think "wow, projection tech has come a long way in the last 10 years". Your average Joe might ask "why can't I see any extra 4k detail?" or "why does HDR just make it look dark?". Ultimately, It doesn't matter how many pixels you have if you project them through a cheap plastic lens.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the printers I use to service. I would do 3 or 4 upgrades primarily the print head, paper handling rollers and internal wiring shielding. Does that mean it's the same printer? Only difference is I didn't put my name on it.

It's like customizing a car or truck.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: