Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 9500LC Ultra geometry options not included in 9500LC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotoscoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Marquee 9500LC Ultra geometry options not included in 9500LC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Since setting up my ceiling mounted Electrohome Marquee 9500LC (non-Ultra) in 2018, I've had a "keystone" geometry problem at the top of the picture (and - to a lesser degree - at the right side).

The bottom of the picture is nearly dead level, ditto the left side, but the top right corner is lower than the top left corner (by approx 4%). (And, not as significant, the top right corner extends further to the right than the bottom left corner, a ~2% difference.) The photos should illustrate it more clearly. (The camera wasn't perfectly square relative to the screen, so there's some geometric distortion in the photos -- color distortion too, added by the camera. You'll have to take my word for it that the screen itself, 16:9, has exact right-angled corners -- the movie in the picture is 1.85:1 and there is overscan. I left a light on to illuminate the edges of the screen itself better.) You can click the photos for larger versions -- and here's a link to the gallery.

Browsing the Marquee 9500LC Ultra user manual, I noticed a function called "Top Key". This allows you to raise or lower the top corners of the picture, and it looks like exactly what my situation calls for. Here's a picture from the manual that illustrates this function -- from page 3-16.

The Marquee 9500LC, however, doesn't have this function. "Top" and "Bottom" control only pincushion.

I'm not sure what causes this distortion in the first place. My mechanical set up isn't perfect, though it's as exact as I could get it in the space. It's placed some limits on the projector (the bottom right corner can't be converged, for instance), but it's also not something I can easily change. The projector is mounted to the ceiling and its position is essentially fixed...

Is there a way to improve or correct this distortion? Wishful thinking: is there a way to "upgrade" the geometry functions of the 9500LC to those of the 9500LC Ultra?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a way, to upgrade to ULTRA but it requires to replace the upper motherboard, new firmware on CLM (depending on model number) replacement of FCM to FGM (Focus board), I also think even the VDM (Vertical deflection module) needs to be replaced.
The ULTRA geometry capability is no miracle, in fact it works pretty ugly compared to a NEC's geometry setting of the same kind.
Anyway, why not just adjust green convergence to fit the picture to your screen, then reconverge red and blue?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
rotoscoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Anyway, why not just adjust green convergence to fit the picture to your screen, then reconverge red and blue?

Well, when you put it that way it sounds so simple! I honestly hadn't thought to do it. I was thinking only in terms of the geometry functions. But what a great suggestion -- this worked wonderfully. I went into the convergence service menu and adjusted the green convergence. Was able to accomplish most of the correction via interpolated adjustments, with a few tweaks via random access. It isn't perfect, but I reduced the top disparity to probably 1% and will fine tune tonight.

I wonder if I shouldn't zero out the convergence adjustments on green just to see where things stood originally... I also wonder if I shouldn't redo the entire geometric and convergence set up, worrying now that I may have different geometry functions working against each other.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should use patterns from the source to converge instead of the marquee patterns for best results.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

To start with, your projector isn't level. Get a laser and fix that first.

The other problems are fixable with green convergence. Use Interpolated Green Covergence first, and tweak the small problems with Regular Green. The test grid from the Joe Kane BlueRay Video Essentials is shown. The waveforms used to add the Ultra geometry features are all fed to essentially an earlier design of the convergence amps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: