Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Still fighting to keep my VV1

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Still fighting to keep my VV1 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Went to upgrade my projector with some Mike Parker modded cards and discovered the unit was leaking glycol from the bellows. These were perfectly fine 2 years ago. Man.....I am in the middle of taking it apart. I ordered new bellows form Nashou and will move forward. I almost backed out and went full digital. The unit is too nice.....tubes are pure white and hardly used, I can't give her up just yet. I even have 3 Digital units getting ready.....possibly 4 when I replace a ballast. So.....does the hobby live? I think so for at least another year. in replacing the bellows, I will be installing a red c element as well. I noticed some mold on the tube faces....what do I clean the chambers with? Do I flush with distilled water and clean with clr? There is some black residue on the face of one of the tubes. I think it's more mold. What cloth do I use? Also Do I need to use any silicon on the elements rings? Sorry for the 20 questions but this is new territory for me. Is there a tutorial form replacing these on here....oh wait found one? I do not want this to leak. I am told you never get them to seal back up after this occurs. anyway thx
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I have had good luck with 100% household ammonia, slosh it around the chambers for twenty minutes and rinse with distilled water. CLR is pricey and it did not work for me. Glass is hard to scratch; I put some cheap toothpaste on a rag and scrubbed some; that worked good. Do not glue the bellows to anything. Stainless steel screws are recommended, especially on the fill holes. The Chemistry Store.com sells triethylene glycol, add ten percent distilled water to it. Run Nash's bellows through your dishwasher first, no soap, no heat in dry mode, that will remove any mold release chemicals. I would not re-use hardware with pitting in the aluminum, the glycol can discolor very quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: