Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Gone digital
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Gone digital Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A while back my 1252 had a board failure and a fan temp error that required a shotgun approach that I was unwilling to execute. CRT projectors are a labor of love and I wasn't willing to try to keep it going. I re-tubed it a year prior and enjoyed it while it lasted. But alas, I tried to find a home for it and it didn't happen, so the tubes and Moome card live on in another member's unit.
14 years of use. I got my money's worth. Parts are disappearing and and hard to come by. It was time to move on.
My first thinking was getting a used JVC or Sony unit to see what that tech was all about. I poked around and found a few options but never pulled the trigger.
At the end of 1018 the new JVC native 4k units caught my eye as they received good reviews. A youtube video an installer posted did a review of the 3 models. He liked the DLA-NX5 but said if you possibly can swing it get he DLA-NX7 as it was better and looked outstanding and you won't regret it.
He was right.
I have seen a well setup G-90 and my 1252 was not close. Had I stayed in the CRT realm I would have aspired to the G-90. Glad I didn't.
I wanted to thank all of the help I got from Curt and the members of this forum. It was quite the journey, learning how to set up and align and re-tube these work horses. I am forever grateful.
Tim
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it was a fun obsession. But it sure is nice to just turn it on and have a fabulous image with almost no fan noise, no drift, etc,
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Gone digital Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Yup, it was a fun obsession. But it sure is nice to just turn it on and have a fabulous image with almost no fan noise, no drift, etc,

Ain't that the truth?! Easiest setup ever.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with any of the points for a positive of digital at this time. I may end up being the last one standing. haven't used my stack in over 3 months due to crap being stored in the theater room with our massive kitchen reno. Will be curious this weekend when I fire up the stack this weekend how far out of whack they are.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the digital! I switched in 2013 and haven’t had any regrets. Bought a (at the time) higher end JVC

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Enjoy the digital! I switched in 2013 and haven’t had any regrets. Bought a (at the time) higher end JVC

Kal

Heck, I'd love to step up to an RS-56 myself. I'm using a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 bought from Jeremy112 here. Good picture, but I eventually want something better. My living situation will be changing again soon and maybe next year I can get something more permanent.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! They're a lot cheaper now for sure.

Kal

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Good luck! They're a lot cheaper now for sure.

Kal

Thanks! That you've held onto yours for so long gives me hope that they're solid machines.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 3rd bulb, almost 8000 hours in. Very stable, including colorimetry. Other than opening the iris every ~400 to maintain 14 ftL I’ve done nothing other than the initial calibration.

Kal

Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt sez:

"I may end up being the last one standing." In Vancouver maybe.........LOL
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in no rush to ditch my G90. Gives me everything I want and more. Apart from one YA board component level repair and a replacement YA (bad IC421) its been rock solid for the past 14 years. Zero running costs since I have free electricity after 8pm. Currently at 3500hrs.

When I eventually retire and move back to Europe I'll replace the beast with 2-3 year old Sony 4K laser pj. Something along the lines of the VPL-VW995ES.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. I wouldn't ditch the G90 either. I think most with good CRT projectors that go digital do so when they're required to due to various contraints or when parts fail and replacements can't be found. In my case I would not have had the ceiling room without a major restructuring of how we wanted to finish the ceiling (I didn't want to go there).

Kal

Zolzar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

February will be two years since I replaced my NEC PG10 with a JVV RS40. The NEC is still in operation at my cousins house. I would have held onto it but floor mounting was my only option in my theater due to the low ceiling. My kids are now two and three and four days old. At a year old my oldest was using the PG as a jungle gym. Time To go. The RS40 fit perfectly with just enough headroom and sitting my budget. Coupled with a Radiance XE 3D I am very pleased with the image.....especially with the animated movies which at this point is the bulk of my viewing. On our sixth screening in three days of Toy Story 4 here on a gloomy day in NJ.

I did have replace the ballast board over the summer and paired that with a new bulb and we are rock solid for now.
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
I'm in no rush to ditch my G90. Gives me everything I want and more. Apart from one YA board component level repair and a replacement YA (bad IC421) its been rock solid for the past 14 years. Zero running costs since I have free electricity after 8pm. Currently at 3500hrs.

When I eventually retire and move back to Europe I'll replace the beast with 2-3 year old Sony 4K laser pj. Something along the lines of the VPL-VW995ES.

I agree. If I had a G-90 I would have done the same.
I am becoming quite enamored of with UHD movies with the JVC. I just did a firmware update that improves the HDR tone mapping. Not perfect but it is significant. It was like getting a better projector for free.
Tim
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Hey Kal. We had a discussion a while back about digital and it was that conversation that convinced me to make the move. Appreciate the insight.
Tim
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Can't argue with any of the points for a positive of digital at this time. I may end up being the last one standing. haven't used my stack in over 3 months due to crap being stored in the theater room with our massive kitchen reno. Will be curious this weekend when I fire up the stack this weekend how far out of whack they are.

Thanks for the help and parts you provided. I would be surprised if you weren't the last person at the party Very Happy
Tomwhite

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey forum tom white here, I sat down with the digital for 2 years, setting up the Nec crt now and hope to be in the last man standing contest. Can't say anything bad about the digital though, it's just not as much fun. If the 4K digitalis become more affordable I'll probably get one,only problem is buy time that happens the 8 k pjs will be out, oh well the home theater dilemma, hope all is well, hey Kal can I get some info about how to post pics on the forum? Thanks tom.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom - To post pics add some text to the textbox and then click "go advanced" and use the fields near the bottom of the page called "Add an Attachment". More info in the FAQ as well: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/faq.php

Kal

Tomwhite

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal I'll have to take a stab at it when I get the Nec verged up, thanks for the help as usual, hope all is well. Tom.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my CRTs to CJ a couple of years ago. I sold my Marantz DLP last year on ebay. I still have a JVC RS25, but I use my LG OLED most of the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: