Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Optoma G1070X calibration nightmare

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaisaron78

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Optoma G1070X calibration nightmare Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good afternoon,
first of all I'd like to introduce myself and the troubles I went through while trying to calibrate my DLP projector. I'm Cesare and I am Italian, so don't flame on me for my poor or clunky english Smile I'll do my best in order to explain myself without murdering somebody else's mother tongue.

Almost a year ago I bought a digital copy of Chromapure 3.X, and licensed it for my Spyder 5 Pro colorimeter (I got this one 'cos I found it on Amazon "dirty cheap") and tried following the Chromapure tutorial linked in this forum section. However, I couldn't get that far. Shame on me!

I got my first trauma when I found out only a few controls corresponding to the ones listed in the tutorial.
I can adjust : Brightness / Contrast / Sharpness in the standard image controls menu, then Noise reduction / Gamma / Brilliant Color / Dynamic Black / Color Temp. and finally, in a separate sub menu, I can adjust each color individually (R/G/B/C/M/Y and White). When I try to set up the gray scale, I can get a 100% white close to reference, but when I move to the following step everything is messed up. How can I set the gray scale acting on a single parameter? What am I doing wrong? Just to add some details, each color in the sub menu can be adjusted in Tint / Saturation and Gain except for White, which is adjusted through R/G/B levels.

The second hiccup is related to setting the contrast level in order to get the correct light output for front projectors. Where should I look and what should I look for in the raw data / white pattern ?

I know I am a noob, and I have done an investment in both hardware (the probe) and software (Chromapure) without any technical background, but now I have no idea 'bout how to proceed...
Heeeeelp! Shocked

Thank you in advance !
Cesare "Kaisar"
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you post your ChromaPure calibration report here for us to look at? Thanks!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Optoma G1070X calibration nightmare Reply with quote

Kaisaron78 wrote:
When I try to set up the gray scale, I can get a 100% white close to reference, but when I move to the following step everything is messed up. How can I set the gray scale acting on a single parameter?

If your display only offers grayscale adjustment at a single point there is nothing you can do other than calibrating at that point that provides the best result for the entire grayscale. Try calibrating at 50%.

Kaisaron78 wrote:
The second hiccup is related to setting the contrast level in order to get the correct light output for front projectors. Where should I look and what should I look for in the raw data / white pattern ?

Put the reading into continuous mode and adjust the contrast until you measure 48 nits off the screen, the y value. You must not see any clipping of white. You may not be able to get 48 nits. That may mean it is time to get a new bulb.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for answering me Smile

1) Thanks Kal for your quick reply. I do my calibration attempts during the weekend. Saturday or Sunday I will post the pre calibration report, I didn't save it the last time I tried the procedure so I have to repeat it again.

2) Thank you for the suggestion Tom, I will try setting up the closest possible 50% of the gray scale and then see what happens across the entire scale.

Finally I have some point to start from Smile
Since the beginning I was confused by the gray scale calibration, I couldn't understand how I could pinpoint the entire 0-100% range only tuning the white parameter in the projector color calibration menu.
Thank you for your kind help, I'll appreciate any suggestion you could give me and I will try again the next weekend Smile
Have a nice day!
C.
Kaisaron78

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning everyone!
Sooo here we are. Again.
Yesterday I tried once again to calibrate my VPR using the Spyder5Pro + Chromapure.
First of all I did a factory reset to the VPR in order to restore the situation to stock removing all my previous attempts, and I performed brightness and contrast calibration "eyeballing" it as suggested by the guide. At the same time I have disabled "dynamic black" from the projector menu because it caused strange light fluctuation in the low end of the gray scale (a flickering more than a fluctuation). Then I have performed the pre calibration test of gray scale and color gamut. The results are in the PDF linked below.

When I tried adjusting the white balance at 50% of the scale as suggested, the results in the gray scale got worse than the pre calibration.
I also noticed some fluctuations in the readings of the probe. For example, I tried checking each primary color (R/G/B). At stock for example my Spider detected R = 433% R 15% G 0% B. The green value for example continued to fluctuate up and down a few percentage points (+- 6/7%) if I set the probe to continuous readings.
At this point it was clear to me I couldn't understand the purpose of the R/G/B values in each primary color. As I intend it, I should have R=100%R,0%G,0%B but I don't know why I am reading 400%R and I couldn't get it to a lower value no matter what, and the green component value I couldn't remove either...
The probe has no adjustment profile and I am running the program setting DC_Standard as the profile.

Any suggestion?
Have a nice week!
Cesare

P.S.: the VPR lamp is "new" and has only 46 hours of usage.
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cesare:

Would you please copy/paste this question into an email and attach the report and send it to support@chromapure.com.

Thanks.

- Tom Huffman

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: