Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Calibration with Spyder5 and HCFR gets far to reddish ?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
star

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Calibration with Spyder5 and HCFR gets far to reddish ?!? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I did the calibration with following setup:
HCFR running at a Windows Laptop with an "Spyder 5" and latest HCFR Software.
Sat-Receiver that can play images with grey scale images 0...100%).

I did the initial reference measure (see picture). Spyder tells me it is far to blue and to less red. Although I think it is not to far away from beeing neutral I know that eye is not a good instrument for color. So I adjusted the 90% as example to be neutral. But - suprise - the image at TV is reddish.

I have no idea what might go wrong. Is my colorimeter damaged? What chances I do have to debug this. White paper is not reflecting. Something else that I can take as reference to check the colorimeter?

In setup is a calibration of Colorimeter mentioned, but don't know how to do and where to get data from.

And, second issue: It seems that gamma is extremly low, can this be true?

Thanks, and especially for the developer and community for this great tool.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the Spyder5. Every Spyder meter before the newest SpyderX is not recommended as many tend to not be very accurate.
Read our meter FAQ here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11436

How old is your Spyder5? How was it stored? If it's old it may also have drifted.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
star

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is from 03/2016 - so 3,5 years and has been already in its original package.
I can imagine a slight drift over the time, but such a massive one -so that it is visible? Strange.
If you have some experience - would it be typical that red fades and blue gets stronger...[

So, to summarize: You can't see that I am doing something wrong? That colorimeter gets some faked data?[/list]

Last edited by star on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years is pretty old. How these drift is anyone's guess - they do not drift in the same manner. I don't know what, if anything, you're doing wrong. Sorry!

Kal

star

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks anyhow. I just found the date on package, 03/2016 - so just 3,5 years old. Rather strange it should change so rapidly and fast. We use color sensor chips in our products and never heard the Bayer pattern would change so rapidly. These products are in use for more than 10 years and are in harder environments.
Ok, it doesn't help to blame on this.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the issue is (a) due to drift or (b) the meter not being overly accurate to begin with, or (c) both, or (d) an issue with the software or how you're using it. I only point out drift as a possibility.

Kal

star

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's ok, you can't see it from distance Wink.
As I understand this, a calibration on Laptop's screen (which affects Laptop only) can not have an effect to the TV (which is not connected with laptop).
The only what might happen is (unlikely), that the PC knows it does some calibration and think it has to take this into account receiving data from Spyder. Software can't does spyder reads data from own (calibrated) laptop monitor or from external TV.
The other thing that comes to my mind is, that Spyder has to be loaded with some driver/init data which might fail. Not sure how installation of Datacolor's software, DisplayCal and HCFR and drivers interfere.

I used the same Spyder with DisplayCal, found the images are on the warm side, but the "white" was far away from being as reddish as if I try to get a neutral point here.

I'll try to organice a second colorimeter and will repeat that. But that can take a while. Thanks for your help!
star

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a different Colorimeter from a friend, as Spyder3. Ok, not high end - I know.
But it ends up same.
I am doing the DVD manuell way and give the Spyder an Image created by Irfanview. There I can adjust the 3 color channels.
I achieve to get R G and B to same 100% level - but surprise - the image I created looks reddish. I mean not a "warm white" but a real rose.
So there is something wrong how I use Software - but there aren't so many things to adjust ?!?

So what I did: Say new, select manual DVD and Spyder3 instead of simulation. As I have no configuration file I skip it. Then I start continous measurement and adjust the image below the Spyder as described above.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be many different things.

You could be using the software incorrectly.
You could be adjusting the display incorrectly.
Your display could have a broken CMS (colour management system) - this is actually very common.
Your meter/software may not be profiled correctly for the display type you're using.

Kal

star

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I found the issue:
Take a second laptop and the results seems to be ok (so no reddish for 100% at each channel). Than I connect Spyder to my laptop - same result. So it is not a installation/driver/spyder - issue.
Than I let the spyder look to my Laptop - same result as above.
So it seem that my Laptop screen is so strange that calibration fails (for some reason). Mh - ok it is a very bad screen, TNT. Of course results are very dependent on viewing angle. But ... I can rotate it to each position - it never happens that a sensor calibrated image (reddish) looks grey.

So, it keeps not understanded isse: Somehow spyder is not compatible to my laptop screen (technology).
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the last point I mentioned:

"Your meter/software may not be profiled correctly for the display type you're using."

CHeers!

Kal

treferet

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth buying Spyder5 if it works so badly?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treferet wrote:
Is it worth buying Spyder5 if it works so badly?

I don't recommend any Spyder before the SpyderX.
Read more as to why on our SpyderX PRO order page:
http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_SpyderX.shtm

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: