Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

convert ICC profile to be used for calibration without ICC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
star

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: convert ICC profile to be used for calibration without ICC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I could generate a profile for my TV-set. But not all sources have a chance to load a LUT to convert images (BlueRay, DVD, broadcast).
So I would like to calibrate the TV itself.

Can I get usefull information out of this profile? Some kind of conversion to parameter used here?

Beside that:
My TV seems to have a offset and gain instead of low and high color channels. I hope that works to. Guess I have to start with offset?
It is some kind of a scret menu with quite a lot of params, but most I don't understand. But I can create curves for contrast, brightnes ,,, with 5 points
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: convert ICC profile to be used for calibration without I Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

star wrote:
I could generate a profile for my TV-set. But not all sources have a chance to load a LUT to convert images (BlueRay, DVD, broadcast).
So I would like to calibrate the TV itself.

Can I get usefull information out of this profile? Some kind of conversion to parameter used here?

The data in ICC profiles follows the standards set by by the International Color Consortium (ICC). there are tools to "view" the contents of an ICC profile. I've never used any of them myself but Googling I found:

http://www.color.org/profileinspector.xalter

But I'm confused how that would be used in your TV. ICC profiles are for Mac/PC monitors (usually) because the profiles are used/loaded in Windows and Mac to drive a specific monitor or display.

What's needed or used in an ICC profile for a monitor/display used by a PC/Mac isn't going to help you calibrate a completely different display like your TV even if that TV is driven by the same PC/Mac. ICC profiles are display specific.

Quote:
Beside that:
My TV seems to have a offset and gain instead of low and high color channels. I hope that works to. Guess I have to start with offset?
It is some kind of a scret menu with quite a lot of params, but most I don't understand. But I can create curves for contrast, brightnes ,,, with 5 points

Every manufacturer uses different wording and settings. That's the problem. We don't know what you should start with because we don't know (a) what TV you're using, (b) what the manufacturer means when they say things like "offset". Some playing around to see what happens is required. More here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

I recommend ChromaPure software with a meter: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm
(We sell kits at discounted prices).

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
star

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. My thougt was my TV has HDMI connections that are probably handled equally. If I send images via PC or via Sat-Receiver (it has an Image viewer) - that should be equally (as long as PC doesn't use color management).

So it is not that I would use the ICC profile from my PC's monitor. I connect PC/Laptop to TV and generate a profile for that. Isn't that profile valid for all devices that are connected to this monitor (at same interface), regardlos of PC/MAC/BlueRay/DVD?

But looking at the calibration process I agree, it doesn't make sense - it must be fiddled out with the params the TV set has. So I can forgt this apporach via ICC.

---

I played half day yesterday and come to params generating to a straight line 10%...100% for grey (delta <4) , which looks ok with colormeter but was reddish til 90% and white at 100%. That confuses me a lot.
For the color change at 100% that might be a saturation effect. My TV seems to have offsets and gains, maybe the gain factor for red was to high, so that it turns from reddish to white at fill.

But about the reddish color ...? No idea for now what might be the reason.

I don't have this test-blueray but created with paint.net pictures from black to white. I used PGM format, as it easy to control the content. And in fact, the values fpr 50% was 0x80, and 25% 0x40 .... So I assume the images created are right. Maybe my PC does this. Will repeat this test with images at Sat-Receiver, which has a picture viewer.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I connect PC/Laptop to TV and generate a profile for that.

Sure, you can do that. That's what the PC/Max software that comes with meters does.

Quote:
Isn't that profile valid for all devices that are connected to this monitor (at same interface), regardlos of PC/MAC/BlueRay/DVD?

Assuming the same colour space (ie HD or SD) and that the sources are set up the same way then yes, that would be reasonably close.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: