Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 9500LC ultra , with HD-10L Lens set
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me4500

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Curt Palme wrote:
Your comments are definitely endearing you to potential buyers. Most entertaining thread here in a while..

My apologies to my friends around the world. Canadians generally are more polite than this. Then again, he's from Toronto. Very Happy

Im generally a positive Guy , amean super positive . Not annoyed or upset at all believe it or not.
I just had to reply a few people base on what they wrote to me. Im actually not a CRT guy not by any streach , I once had my hands on some Barco 909 split Packs with NewTubes and fliped them, I still have 6 New tubes , Horizontal Deflection Board and many more boards will list them soon.

Found a CRT guy who is going to help me get all the info to you guys very soon , hours etc including pictures ofcourse,i know some people probably don't believe i have that many equipments, i promise you will see all of them next week.

CRT is not my thing will not even use it if they pay me.

I am more of Digtal Projector Guy. When it comes to that im a Guru for real, i have some serious Gears that are worth a lot of though i once bought all the WQXGA prohectors from US central Command when they upgraded to 4K. Digital is my Jam and since most of you guys are moving away from CRT i can hook you up with Commercial Grade High End Projectors ,can't find those at Best Buy.
i deal with Cinema 4K and data 4K , 2K, WQXGA projectors ,WUXGA and maybe some SXGA will not touch XGA projectors.

moi90.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.07 KB
 Viewed:  8503 Time(s)

moi90.jpg

moi8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.96 KB

moi8.jpg

moi2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.89 KB

moi2.jpg

moi5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.38 KB

moi5.jpg

moi11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.44 KB

moi11.jpg

moi1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.59 KB

moi1.jpg

Last edited by Me4500 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Me4500

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas33 wrote:
Sorry for the "idiot's".
There is a small, very small community that will buy a Dino like an Crt Projector.
So everybody knows when I call them "idiot's",I'm one too.
The market for those analog things is down, long time ago.
I've brought several marquee's for much more money than 3000 dollars.
But at this time....... 200 is a good start for selling these monsters.
Without knowing something about tube conditions and whatever......

Andreas, don't worry these will all be texted very soon with pictures, hours and S/N, im pretty sure you would want one regardless. But you will end up paying over $1000 because you are in Germany , Airfreight is not cheap. By the way im not a CRT guy nooo, i don't even know how to test them.Someone will do that for for me.
I'm more of Digital Projection God . If you invest in Quality projector is better than CRT in my opinion. Let me know when you are ready to switch i have a great projector for your budget.

moi8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.96 KB
 Viewed:  8500 Time(s)

moi8.jpg

moi1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.59 KB

moi1.jpg

moi3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.32 KB

moi3.jpg

moi2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.89 KB

moi2.jpg

moi5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.38 KB

moi5.jpg

moi11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.44 KB

moi11.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me4500 wrote:
I am more of Digtal Projector Guy. When it comes to that im a Guru for real, i have some serious Gears

What projector are you running yourself?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Me4500

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Me4500 wrote:
I am more of Digtal Projector Guy. When it comes to that im a Guru for real, i have some serious Gears

What projector are you running yourself?

Kal

Digital projection/ Barco F30 (WUXGA), there are many models of F30, best one is F30 WUXGA , (1920 x 1200)Native resolution, hooked to my bell Box pictures are priceless, the lens installed EN13 you can hit 100+ inch in just about 9ft. the White one is Christie DHD555-GS , laser projector with 21,000hr Life time hours. Not a big fan of those.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now we're playing with fire! Smile

Me4500, you'll find that most CRT guys are cheap-a$$, like I am, and when home CRT was all the rage from about 1998 to 2010 or so, we all did the DIY thing with surplus CRT projectors, as the early digitals were awful, at 640 X 480. Now of course things are different and digital more or less took over around 2010, which killed the pricing of CRT.

I think you can fairly compare the CRT technology to a carburetor car. It may not run like a 2019 computer controlled car, but you can rebuild the carb yourself.. if you know how to. Digitals are disposable, CRT is always rebuildable.

I"m still running two Barco 909 CRTs in a stacked configuration. I paid under $2K for $120K original selling price, with zero failures in the 5 years they've been up. They drift, they are a PITA to align, they heat the room up, but I see no reason to switch to digital. That's more or less the attitude of the handful of CRTers left out there. BAck in 2002, I bought my house thanks to ebay and CRT projectors, and the HD/digital craze that was sweeping the world back from 1998 onward.
Me4500

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Me4500, you'll find that most CRT guys are cheap-a$$, like I am, and when home CRT was all the rage from about 1998 to 2010 or so, we all did the DIY thing with surplus CRT projectors, as the early digitals were awful, at 640 X 480. Now of course things are different and digital more or less took over around 2010, which killed the pricing of CRT.

I think you can fairly compare the CRT technology to a carburetor car. It may not run like a 2019 computer controlled car, but you can rebuild the carb yourself.. if you know how to. Digitals are disposable, CRT is always rebuildable.

I"m still running two Barco 909 CRTs in a stacked configuration. I paid under $2K for $120K original selling price, with zero failures in the 5 years they've been up. They drift, they are a PITA to align, they heat the room up, but I see no reason to switch to digital. That's more or less the attitude of the handful of CRTers left out there. BAck in 2002, I bought my house thanks to ebay and CRT projectors, and the HD/digital craze that was sweeping the world back from 1998 onward.

I bet you did a lot of killing back in the day, the Barco 909's are amazing they can pretty much go against any digital Projector below 4K and beat them up in terms of resolution and Pure RGB color.I use to sell Large venue Projectors was great before these days they are hard to sell because of video Walls Lol.
What is the difference between the 90 degrees Tubes?
someone told me you have to adjust them before you can use in CRT home theater Projector, had no clue what he was talking about. All my Tubes are 90 degrees. Going get some pictures Together for you to see.
Me4500

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me4500 wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

I bet you did a lot of killing back in the day, the Barco 909's are amazing they can pretty much go against any digital Projector below 4K and beat them up in terms of resolution and Pure RGB color.I use to sell Large venue Projectors was great before these days they are hard to sell because of video Walls Lol.
What is the difference between the 90 degrees Tubes?
someone told me you have to adjust them before you can use in CRT home theater Projector, had no clue what he was talking about. All my Tubes are 90 degrees. Going get some pictures Together for you to see.

3 Newly installed Tubes pulled from Projector (was not used) , (RED, BLUE and GREN)
3 new tubes are still in Box. (RED,BLUE ,GREEN )
here are some 909 parts , im pretty sure you can tell which part they are if not i can send you part numbers, have most of the original Boxes.

Charles

mb13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.84 KB
 Viewed:  8462 Time(s)

mb13.jpg

mb7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.25 KB

mb7.jpg

mb12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.29 KB

mb12.jpg

mb6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.15 KB

mb6.jpg

mb5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.89 KB

mb5.jpg

mb4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.49 KB

mb4.jpg

mb3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.47 KB

mb3.jpg

mb2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.66 KB

mb2.jpg

mb1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.59 KB

mb1.jpg

mb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.68 KB

mb.jpg

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charles,

where are you located ?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Hey Charles,

where are you located ?

Oakville , Ontario , CANADA
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price for the set of new P19LUG's ?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Price for the set of new P19LUG's ?

Are you able to pick up Today Cash? do you want it shipped? we can not accept Paypal payment on our account right now
i can give you a price base on, if you are able to pick up cash Today.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me4500 wrote:
Digital projection/ Barco F30 (WUXGA), there are many models of F30, best one is F30 WUXGA , (1920 x 1200)Native resolution, hooked to my bell Box pictures are priceless

Have you tried projectors meant for home theater?

The F30 is an insanely bright (4300-6500 lumens) DLP projector meant for large venue locations that was first introduced in 2007, and was out of production in 2009. Insanely bright large venue projectors are all about light output due to the screen sizes required and ambient light, and unfortunately suffer in every other way in order to produce the light output needed (heat, noise, contrast ratio, etc). The F30 has an abysmal maximum contrast ratio of 7500:1 (likely when only 1 of the 2 bulbs is used - if pushing light output to near the rated max I'm sure it would be lower). Most digitals these days meant for home theater are at least 50,000:1 if not higher. Even my "long in the tooth" JVC RS56 from 2012-2014 is 90,000:1. A more recent JVC like the least expensive JVC DLA-X790R from 2017 does 130,000:1 on/off and with dynamic contrast does 1,300,000:1.

Most home theater enthusiasts looking for good image quality these days are looking at LCoS projectors from companies like JVC and Sony.

I think you'll be surprised at the difference in image quality if you try a projector meant for home theater instead of a light cannon.

Kal

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well contrast ratio is not good at all on these digitals.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.83 KB
 Viewed:  8385 Time(s)

image.jpeg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barco Cine 9

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.88 KB
 Viewed:  8375 Time(s)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.49 KB
 Viewed:  8378 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Well contrast ratio is not good at all on these digitals.

Large venue light cannons, no, as that's not their intended goal. Digitals meant for home theater use, yes. Both Sony and JVC make some phenominal stuff these days.

Kal

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Sony 4K VW520 once, also a Epson TW9400 and sold them shortly after some weeks.

Both units do not have the contrast ratio and also not the filmlike look.

Additional to that the FI 'Feature' is the worst at all. I cannot Accept the soap look. Also motion was a desaster on those digitals.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Additional to that the FI 'Feature' is the worst at all. I cannot Accept the soap look.

My JVS RS56 has it's own frame interpolation (FI) feature that you can turn on/off to varying degrees. I can't stand it for 24p film because, well, it's not what the director intended at all and it just feels weird and unnatural for film content. I don't even like when 30fps is faked in movies as Michael Mann did in Public Enemies (he changed the shutter angle on the Sony cameras to 360 degrees, providing a look and feel that is similar to a 30fps framerate like video content, instead the 'normal' 24fps look). I had to stop the movie and go look up how the hell they were getting a 30fps look to a movie on Blu-ray that indicated it was 24fps. Wink It's no surprise that most purists don't like it, I certainly didn't.

I do it sometimes use FI however when watching BBC nature documentaries however (think 'Planet Earth') and it works remarkably well I find for that. But that's an extremely rare usage.

We should probably start a different thread here as we're really getting off topic of this buy/sell thread. Wink

Kal

Me4500

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
I had a Sony 4K VW520 once, also a Epson TW9400 and sold them shortly after some weeks.

Both units do not have the contrast ratio and also not the filmlike look.

Additional to that the FI 'Feature' is the worst at all. I cannot Accept the soap look. Also motion was a desaster on those digitals.

Sony and Epson are not in same League as Digital Projection which was bought by BARCO for Billions of Dollars.
Sony /Epson make low lumen projectors and support the brightness with High contrast , high contrast unfortunately doest not help in picture quality when you push it high. 3 Chip DLP Projection design will run you $35,000 USD so $10,000 Sony VW520 with SRXD chip are not in the same Class even with $18,000 F30 WUXGA . Oh the Lenses also count big time Epson and Sony uses Cheap Glasses on their Projectors to keep cost down.

mb2222.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mb2222.jpg
 Filesize:  151.72 KB
 Downloaded:  211 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me4500 wrote:
high contrast unfortunately doest not help in picture quality when you push it high.

Sorry but that makes absolutely no sense at all and goes completely against anything anyone who's into home theater (let alone image quality) knows and understands regardless of technology used.

Contrast ratio (CR) is the difference between the whitest white and the blackest black that a display can provide. CR is very important because the higher the CR the more the image will have a 3D look to it. Low CR looks "flat". The human eye is fooled into seeing a 3D image on a 2D surface (screen) by a high CR.

I think what you mean to say is that with large venue projectors (like the ones mentioned) contrast ratio is lost given all the ambient light which raises the lower end, destroying contrast ratio. But again, projectors made for large venues are not about image quality. They're all about light output. Want a projector with insane light output that also has good CR? Get ready to pay for it.

I'd suggest you do some reading about what makes up image quality to better understand what's important.
One place to start would be my Grayscale & Color Calibration Guide here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

It'll walk you through some of the fundamentals.

Me4500 wrote:
3 Chip DLP Projection design will run you $35,000 USD so $10,000 Sony VW520 with SRXD chip are not in the same Class even with $18,000 F30 WUXGA .

You're confusing things, assuming that a more expensive projector is better at everything. That isn't true. Again, that more expensive projector you're mentioning is a large venue projector which is all about light output. It's insanely bright compared to ones meant for home theater use and other specs suffer as a result because that's just the way the laws of physics and engineering work. That bright projector is meant for medium to large venues, not for home theater where screens rarely go bigger than 10-12'. It's also more expensive as they're extremely niche, and often configurable with different lenses/options.

Nobody wants large venue/ultra-bright projectors for home theater because the image quality sucks. If people wanted them for HT, they would be buying them for 1/5 - 1/10th the cost of a new projector meant for home theater. If the image quality is truly better all around like you say, why wouldn't they?

Use the right tool for the right job. An F1 racing car costs a lot more than a Jeep, but that doesn't the F1 car is better at everything. You don't choose an F1 racing car to go off-roading. You don't choose a Jeep to go racing.

Me4500 wrote:
Sony and Epson are not in same League as Digital Projection which was bought by BARCO for Billions of Dollars.

Again, that's also an odd comment given that they produce different types of projectors, for different reasons. Not really comparable. They also didn't spend billions. They acquired 61% of the share of projectiondesign in late 2012 from from private equity fund Herkules Capital. Projectiondesign had approximately €57 million in sales the year before so to buy them for billions really doesn't make sense. Wink

Barco bought projectiondesign in 2013 to strengthen their offerings in mid-size and large venues. Projectiondesign's market wasn't home theater at all. They sold projectors mostly for training and simulation, visitor attractions (museums, theme parks), scientific visualization, collaboration rooms (Corporate AV) and control rooms. Places where image quality isn't paramount, places where light output is important. You should read their press release: https://www.barco.com/en/News/Press-releases/Barco-completes-acquisition-of-projectiondesign%C2%AE-and-strengthens-its-position-in-mid-segment-project.aspx

Yes, lenses are indeed imporant to image quality. Manufactures price them accordingly to meet the specific market segment they're dealing in. The projectors like the f30 ones you mention come with many different lens options given that they're used in all sorts of different ways I mentioned above, often at very odd angles.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: