Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marantz SR6008 - always on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Marantz SR6008 - always on? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
anyone have a AVR from this family? i recently got one from a friend who bought it off E-bay for 100 bucks. Not much to complain about when you get a $1200. retail receiver with remote for 100 bucks.

Easily beats my old Denon 3800 series in sound quality , (it's got a much better audio section all the way around ) HDMI switching, etc.
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr5008-sr6008-sr7008

my pet peeve, you can't turn it off. It's really on all the time, even after you " power off" and the orange stand-by light is lit. In this mode it generates quite a bit of heat, almost as much as my Denon does when driving 2 small speakers. The Denon has a second, spring loaded hard button to completely kill power to unit, marantz cheaped out here. Only solution is to unplug it.

Is this normal? how the hell did this thing meet any kind of energy star federal requirements? it's only 5 years old Sad
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that one of the turnon relays has stuck itself into place. the CPU inside still turns the front display off, but the actual power amp never does. Put an ammeter in series with the power cord, to see how much the current draw drops when the unit is supposed to be in standby mode.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Curt, you put me on the right track. I didn't measure it yet, but a guy did back then this thing was new in 2013 (an SR5008, same family). it pulls .8 amps at moderate volume , and .62 amps in standby. what a joke

There was speculation that disabling HDMI pass-thru would fix this, but the OP never got back to it. Dam lazy Canadians Wink

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/95-v-receivers-amplifiers/193810-marantz-sr5008-standby-heat.html

i posted on AVS, hopefully someone knows
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a ubiquitous $10 switched power strip. Plug your Marantz power cord into it. Switch off the power strip when you're not using it. Vampire power consumption and dissipation will drop to zero.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would have been my avenue of last resort, but it's " fixed", a guy on AVS figured it out.

Quote:
More than likely you have Zone 2 powered on. If you see a bar "-" in the upper right corner of the porthole display (ie. yellow in image below), set Zone 2 to OFF.

The remote, instructions, and GUI are really awful. I'll give it a pass because it sounds so dam good, but my very first AVR was a Marantz SR73 circa 1993, and they have gone backwards since then,

both zones 2&3 were turned on, and very difficult to turn off too.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1482248-official-marantz-sr5008-sr6008-sr7008-av-receiver-owner-s-thread-170.html#post58458800
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: