Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 7" fan control mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Barco 7" fan control mod Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My Barco Data 701s is horribly noisy. I could just replace the fans with quieter ones, but i also have some fans with built in temperature control laying around here. If I want to use those fans, I have two ways of doing it:

1. I could put the fans in backwards and have them measure the temperature flowing across the fan to adjust the speed accordingly. This is the way the fans are originally intended to be used. Doing this menans that the airflow in the projector gets reversed. Instead of sucking cold air in the front, the fans would exhaust hot air out the front instead. This could possibly yield some problems because now the components inside projector that were originally intended to have cold air blowing over them straight from the fans, now are going to have hot/warm air from other components blowing over it. In addition the flow is going to be more turbulent thus some components might not get the amount of airflow they're designed to get.

2. I could desolder and move the thermistors on the fans and put wires on them. That way I could put the thermistors anywhere I'd like in the projector. If I end up doing this, where should I put them. What components in the projector are the warmest?

Any thoughts on this? Keep in mind i live in Norway so it's not the hottest of climates. And it's not a super rare or extremely high end projector either so I can afford some trial and error on this project.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it. the 701s shouldn't be loud in the first place, at least no worse than other Barco. Those small sets run pretty hot, so slowing down the fans would undoubtedly cause life expectancy issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: