Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 1208/2 Convergence Partially Works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astronichols1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Barco 1208/2 Convergence Partially Works. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Howdy all,

As of today I'm new here as well as relatively new to CRT projectors (2014 ish) so hopefully I haven't stomped on any unspoken forum etiquette.

Last Wednesday I acquired a Barco 1208/2 with MEC tubes (I think).

Projector backstory:
I purchased the PJ in semi-working condition. After retrieving the unit, some dunce with a forklift (totally not me or anything Confused ), dropped it from about waste height onto pavement. Miraculously nothing broke, I figured I had annihilated the tubes or something but not a single hint of damage, except for a bent mounting bracket.

So I plug it in and it powers up, but gets a scan fail light. I pull some modules, look at them and reseat them, nothing. Then mess witch switches on yoke board, finally it starts w/o scan fail and HV comes up. Green tube then goes on full blast with no modulation of the beam at all, pulling HV down and putting focus out of wack. Good thing too cause spot wasn't killed when turning off the PJ. Took off green neck board (black box) took it apart, look at it, put it back on, then I get the Barco startup image. I feed a signal into composite video and it looks like crap with horizontal lines all over the image. Plug VGA from PC into RGBVH, image looks good but vertical scrolling.

At this point I proceed to reseat all plugs, cards, neck boards that are easily reachable.
I also notice white deposits on the bottom of all modules, as if a lot of moisture was present at one point.
I now have a good looking image on RGBVH (composite still weird) but cannot get convergence to work properly.

TLDR; PJ had scan fail, reseat most boards and connectors, now have a decent image, appears moisture was present, convergence not entirely working.

Current Problem:
All settings appear to work except for vertical skew and some convergence controls with the box that can be moved about the screen and adjusted.
In some places I can move the convergence adjustment box to a part of the image and it works fine, in other places it does nothing. More screen locations of the red convergence work than the blue. Quite annoying since the colors are way off on the edges and corners.
Since reseating cards and percussive maintenance had worked so well, I did the same with the convergence tray quite a bit, but nothing changed.
I don't know how the digital controls interface with the convergence. I am unsure if the issue is with the convergence tray itself or the digital controls, or something else.
Wondering if there is something obvious that I am missing, or if there are pots to turn to turn, or things to test that I have not considered, or if this is a clear sign of a specific part failing, or if this is a more complicated issue.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!,

unnamed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  399.4 KB
 Viewed:  3599 Time(s)

unnamed.jpg

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The convergence issue likely is the convergence driver board on the left side of the tray. I probably have some, although some of the board software versions are slightly different, even if the board numbers are the same.

The white stuff on the boards may be original, some boards had it for some reason. As long as it's not affecting the operation of the set, then you're fine.

Also, do all of the geometry controls work? If the green can get bang on, and all functions work on it, then the problem is convergence only. Top and bottom pin actually comes from the focus/H shift board, at least the signal that controls those commands does.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodged a bullet if the tube necks didn't shear after a fall that high.
astronichols1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really surprised tubes stayed in tact especially with all that heavy hardware attached to them. Counting my blessings..

So I just ran through the setup again and it appears that the V Centerline Bow, V Centerline Skew, Top Keystone, Top Bow, Bottom Keystone, Bottom Bow, and all the convergence adjustment squares far to the top or bottom of the center line do not work in either direction.
As for what I said about more of the convergence adjustment for red working than the blue, that appears to be false the same don't work for both colors.
As for the bow and skew that don't work, those are just on the green. I guess I missed that before.
I suppose bow and skew are not convergence related?
All directions of raster shift and size do work as well as H Centerline bow/skew, Side bow, Side keystone, and convergence adjustments near the centerline.

Thanks for the assistance,
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the right convergence driver board for a 1208. It can't make out the part number but it looks like a very early version one that was used in late model 801?
astronichols1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,

Here are some part numbers. These do seem to come up online a lot for an 808/808s. Not sure how similar they are to 1208.

IMG-0781.JPG
 Description:
Projector chassis
 Filesize:  132.17 KB
 Viewed:  3534 Time(s)

IMG-0781.JPG

IMG-0780.jpg
 Description:
Stigmator? I think.
 Filesize:  81.53 KB

IMG-0780.jpg

IMG-0783.JPG
 Description:
Convergence driver
 Filesize:  283.06 KB

IMG-0783.JPG

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part numbers may be the same, but the firmware in the chips are different. May or may not work. Ideally you'll find one out of a 1208.
astronichols1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty,

I'll keep my eye out for parts online and see what I can find.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might find what you need here
http://www.eisemann-theater.com/new-page-1
astronichols1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll check them out, thnx
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: