Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 7" geometry and stability problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Barco 7" geometry and stability problems Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok, I'll promise to get more active on this forum. My Barco Data 701s has three problems that I want help with identifying:

1. Geometry. Look at the picture i provided. All input sources are S-shaped (bowed vertically). If i use an Extron RGB 109+ that has a horizontal position knob, and move the picture all the way to the left, the picture looks straight and good but I would need to scale it down to make everything show up otherwise the left side would be cut off.

2. The whole picture is shivering side to side.

3. Blanking intermittently moves in and out of the sides and top/bottom. Sometimes half the picture is gone for a split second.

All of these problems are totally inexistent in the ADJ menu test pattern, even when syncing it on top of the external source.

I could just be using the Extron as a workaround, but I wouldn't be able to use more than a small area of the tube face and the screen would be tiny. I could also just use an external test pattern and (mis)adjust the geometry according to that, but the blanking still uses the internal pattern generator thus the blanking on the sides would be bowed when the picture is adjusted to be straight.

Any idea as to which board(s) need replacement or repair? I have been thinking of doing a recap, which would possible solve the problem, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

FB_IMG_15650094735256811.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.48 KB
 Viewed:  3089 Time(s)

FB_IMG_15650094735256811.jpg

sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yeah, you can see on that picture that the top left, bottom left and top right looks straight but that's due to me having enabled blanking.

Also the projector squeals like a pig when set to high brightness levels and the picture on screen is mostly black with minor white details.

I know some people may want to comment that this projector isn't worth repairing. I do not want to hear any of that, sorry.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect your entire convergence section (2 boards) and see if the problem goes away.
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Disconnect your entire convergence section (2 boards) and see if the problem goes away.

I'll dust off the projector and try that.

sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did as you said and the problems still remain.

The picture is completely straight, shivers much less but still a little bit, when I set H phase to 0. It is offset too much to the right though, and I remember now that what I used the H position knob on the Extron to move the picture back to the left so I could use the projector. Big con being that I use more component sources than RGB and the extron doesn't work with component. (Or I haven't actually checked but I don't have the necessary adapters at hand right now anyway).

Last edited by sevs on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, disconnect the input and use the internal test patterns. Can you align/converge things properly? If so, then the problem is with your input signal, or possibly the RGB input board.
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
OK, disconnect the input and use the internal test patterns. Can you align/converge things properly? If so, then the problem is with your input signal, or possibly the RGB input board.

Convergence works fine and I can make the test patterns look as fine as can be. It happens on all sources i've tried, both using composite video, component and RGB.

Is the RGB card supposed to slide out the back? Which screws do I have to undo?

sevs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I played around with different sources the other day, then I went to eat dinner and when I came back the whole shivering and geometry issue was gone and I haven't been able to reproduce it ever since.

Maybe the reason why it's temporarily fixed is because I'm only using 0 V size and 30 H size because I'm really limited in space currently, and not using more than a quarter of the raster area. Or maybe because I yanked out the rgb input board and idk, a cracked solder joint fell into place, or maybe a conductive/capacitive speck of dust fell off the board when I pulled out the tray with the boards. Or maybe multiple heating/cooling cycles changed something. I don't know...

Anyway, I'm moving house next week and I'll do a proper setup then and maybe the issues will come back. We'll see...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: