Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Playing 4k UHD discs on my CRT / HDR mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Playing 4k UHD discs on my CRT / HDR mapping Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am starting to pick up a few UHD disks. Mostly for the Dolby Atmos exclusives (like the upcoming Alita: Battle Angel for example) and I find that with my XBOX ONE I cannot effectively get the HDR image to look even halfway decent.

I have heard that the new Panasonic UB820 has really advanced HDR>SDR conversion. I am wondering how that would apply to the CRT world. Anyone have this player?

Do the CRT projectors have any more dynamic range than say a SDR flatscreen? Has anyone had any luck with UHD HDR dicks on their CRT?

I don't really care about 4k resolution. I am fine with my 1080p image on my Barco 909 but I really love Atmos and it would be great if there is any dynamic range boost I can get from this newer format.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i use a Oppo203 in combination with a Fury.
The Oppo does a great job when it comes to HDR -> SDR conversion. Additional to that you can set the nits value within the Oppo.

UHD's look much better vs. the BluRay's.

Overall best blacks and dynamic image.

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Hi,

i use a Oppo203 in combination with a Fury.
The Oppo does a great job when it comes to HDR -> SDR conversion. Additional to that you can set the nits value within the Oppo.

UHD's look much better vs. the BluRay's.

Overall best blacks and dynamic image.

ElTopo

Thanks. That's good to know. The Oppo is out of my price range but the Panasonic is purported to be as good or better at SDR conversion. I figured the CRT PJs had a bit more DR available than the Blurays have to offer. I am going though a DVDO but that should be about the same as a Fury I would imagine.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention when putting a scaler in the chain.

Not every device will do a good/correct tone mapping Wink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty-five years ago.........

VHS tape! Pretty cool huh? VidStar!!!!! I'll collect some movies eh?

Twenty-five years ago........ DVDs! Pretty cool huh? Don't have to REWIND a DVD! Oh crap, gotta buy all these movies again....... expensive.......

Fifteen years ago........ Toshiba HD DVD!!!!! Pretty cool huh? Nice picture. Takes twenty minutes to start the disc. I'll push Play and make dinner. There are only thirty movies out, I can deal with that........

Thirteen years ago....... HD DVD is dead but look----BluRay!!!!! Pretty cool huh? Oh crap, gotta buy all these movies again.......

I am not falling for the 4K ruse! .........but Oooooohhh!!!!!! It's so life-like!!!!!!! LOL
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing 4k UHD discs on my CRT / HDR mapping Reply with quote

Keep in mind that when CRT phosphor response was created (invented) many years ago it was done to meet the existing technology available at the time which was SDTV (Rec.601 gamut). Then HDTV (Rec.709 gamut) came along and it's extremely close to Rec.601:

CRT requires some colour filtering to get to Rec.601/Rec.709. Most better units are equipped with color corrected (filtered) red and green CRTs which achieve rec. 709 (HD) color coordinates, or they come very close. See this thread: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5604

So a well calibrated CRT projector should be able to be calibrated to Rec.601 (SDTV) and Rec.709 (HDTV). In some cases colour filters are required or clear c-elements need to be replaced with tinted c-element (same result). You reduce light output of course when doing this. This is required because most CRT projectors were originally manufactured with clear glycol or clear red and green c-elements in order to increase the overall light output of the projector as the original use for many of these projectors was not for home theater. People wanted light output, not colour accuracy.

Now fast forward to today and we have UHD (Rec.2020) gamut which is considerably larger and beyond the capacity of what CRT phosphors can deliver:

You can't (shouldn't) try and target CRT to do Rec.2020 colour gamut. I just won't happen. The phosphors simply cannot resolve those colours no matter what you do. You need to map that Rec.2020 space back to Rec.709. There may be some subtle improvements as ElTopo mentioned, but it won't be full range Rec.2020.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Twenty-five years ago........ DVDs! Pretty cool huh? Don't have to REWIND a DVD! Oh crap, gotta buy all these movies again....... expensive.......
Fifteen years ago........ Toshiba HD DVD!!!!! Pretty cool huh? Nice picture. Takes twenty minutes to start the disc. I'll push Play and make dinner. There are only thirty movies out, I can deal with that........
Thirteen years ago....... HD DVD is dead but look----BluRay!!!!! Pretty cool huh? Oh crap, gotta buy all these movies again.......
I am not falling for the 4K ruse! .........but Oooooohhh!!!!!! It's so life-like!!!!!!! LOL

For me DVD introduced a massive jump in sound quality from VHS. We went from matrixed surrounds to discrete 5.1 or better. Fantastic. Resolution was slightly increased too but it was more importantly more stable too.

HD (Blu-ray and HD-DVD) was the biggest jump in resolution difference. Massive. 6 times the resolution and on our (relatively speaking) giant TVs (i.e. projectors) the different was startling.

Everything since then has (to me) been incremental changes. For the screen size I run (8' wide) the jump to 4K resolution is not that noticeable. Lossless audio is somewhat the same: Incremental, not a massive change.

YMMV of course. Everyone has different setups / notices different things. If someone wants to take full advantage of UHD (4K) however they need very latest/most recent projectors, like the latest offerings from Sony/JVC.

I'm happy with 1080p with my screen size and viewing distance but wouldn't mind BT.2020.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:

I couldn't agree more here. Its all marketing to a degree especially when you look at some titles. How many are shot in 4K or Better how many must be up-scaled?
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly Bluray and HD-DVD were competing systems available contemporaneously, like VHS and betamax earlier. The market would only support one standard, knocking out the least popular (not necessarily the best) format. I chose poorly in both instances although I only bought 5 or 6 HD-DVD titles before I saw the writing on the wall. The HD-DVD load time was excruciating.
Aren't we forgetting laser discs
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
Aren't we forgetting laser discs

If we aren't......we should! LOL

Betamax, so technically superior, but max 90 minutes on one cassette. Oops. A lot of movies are 100 to 120 minutes. VHS does 120 minutes standard, 160 minutes optional. At full quality. Game over for Betamax.

Betacam, however, redefined ENG for news gathering. It's funny how some technical advances change everything. Walk into a TV station forty years ago and see massive $100,000 RCA cameras on huge pedestal bases. Two inch quad video recorders the size of your stove. Engineers everywhere trying to keep it all running. All of the TV engineers I ever met were named Larry! LOL

Save for the lenses, your phone today just murders those things for image quality. With a sensor smaller than a dime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: