Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sonos Subwoofer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Sonos Subwoofer Reply with quote

Ok guys, here's a lemons into lemonade story. I have 2 Sonos Play 1 speakers in by family room downstairs set up as a stereo pair. They sound pretty good but its a big room and they really need a sub. Sonos subwoofers are damned expensive. We had a Sonos Play 1 in my bedroom but it got knocked off the armour and broke. Still has sound from both speakers but the casing is screwed up and it rattles.

I decided to take it apart and use the lead off the internal amp to power an old Bose Model 100 speaker. Got the thing apart and found something weird. Even though a Play 1 is a mono speaker it has a stereo amp. Instead of a normal crossover in between the amp and the speakers, it does the crossover digitally and one channel drives the woofer and one drives the tweeter. That screws me for using the bose model 100 cause it only has one internal speaker.

Then I remembered that I have an old, 12" self-amplified subwoofer with speaker level inputs.

CLICK!

I ran the low frequency channel into it and presto changeo I have a Sonos sub!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: