Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rest in Peace, CRT fans.........
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Rest in Peace, CRT fans......... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So sad

Not a post for a week?

Someone turn off the lights when you leave

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned off my CRT lights in 2013. It was a good ride while it lasted and loved every minute of it!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean I shouldn't turn on one of my 50+ CRT's? Shocked

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest summer is not the season of the CRT either.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying indoors mostly. I don't run much because it's 30 C and 80% humidity in here and that's at 3am

CRT.

HD done right!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest in Peace, CRT fans......... Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
So sad

Not a post for a week?

Someone turn off the lights when you leave

Here you are a new post about a dead Barco Razz No posts can also mean that everyone is happily watching their stuff Wink

View user's photo album (1 photos)
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not dead. This post isn’t about CRTs either. What a toxic forum. I don’t want to be active on a forum where I feel guilt for not posting. Especially when 100% of posts get derailed into «it’s not worth it» «you should stop trying» «dlp is better» by the same people who complain that «crt is dead». Pull yourselves together. Instead of complaining, try fixing the problem yourself. You are all grown up men.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

I've yet to see a DLP I liked. Board-flat, no depth or dimensionality, not drawn into the action at all. However DLP and some LED flat panels are likely the future off this hobby as only one company anywhere still makes new tubes. I am told that the Sony crystal led systems are awesome but very pricey; they are scalable to huge at about $5000 a square foot. Oooofff. Samsung just put in a massive LED system on the roof at SoFi Stadium, California, near a thousand tons worth, dang!
pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Norway 95% of crt-users was done by 2008.

I was done in 2006. I have used a G90 for nostalgia a few years back. It was cool, and I liked the picture. But it came quite fast apparant why we do not use crt anymore. In midst of the G90 euphoria I bought a couple of unused Barco Cine 9's. I have realized that I will never use them, they will go to the recycle plant pretty soon.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevs, your response is ridiculous.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
I've yet to see a DLP I liked.

Try LCoS technology. What JVC calls D-ILA and Sony calls SXRD. Been running this myself in my HT since 2013 (coming from an 8" LC EM Barco Cine 8 clone) and there was actually more depth due to the much better inter-scene contrast ratio. And my JVC is pretty old by today's standards. I did a direct comparison here for those who understand CRT: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973

What's the best, properly calibrated and set up digital projector you've seen Tim in home use?

Kal

Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT is still highly desirable for retro gaming fans (my other hobby). I have 4 CRT monitors and I've been looking for a deal on a Sony G90 somewhere close to the NY, NJ, CT border for over a year now.

There are certain things CRT is still best for. It's ability to switch res instead of scaling everything to a fixed native res is a huge advantage. As anyone who went to Sunday school knows, scaling makes baby Jesus cry. Some CRTs can display everything from old 240p games up to 1080p Blu Rays with no scaling artifacts.

CRTs have the best motion resolution. LCD and Lcos both have horrible motion res. A 1080p or 4k Blu Ray can often look like standard def on fast moving scenes with lcd or lcos displays. They have to resort to frame interpolation which changes the look of a movie from what the director intended. Or they use black frame insertion which makes 24fps content look dark. DLP is a little better than LCOS but still nowhere near CRT.

CRT is the only projection tech to light pixels individually which allows for awesome contrast. What JVC describes as their "native contrast ratio" requires the use of wiregrid polarizer filters in the light path. Those filters help produce great black levels and OK whites but CRT has better real world contrast for everything in between.

Old school arcade light guns only work on CRT and none of the newer flatscreen compatible light guns are anywhere near as accurate. Time Crisis with a real light gun on a large CRT = pure magic.

CRT has no input lag. A flatscreen using scaling and frame interpolation can make games unplayable due to lag. Or you can use game mode with no interpolation but then you suffer motion blur...

Anyone with collections of older movie content should hang onto their CRTs. DVDs and Laserdiscs look revolting on my 77" 4k oled. You need a CRT to get an acceptable image and there are some movies that are only available on older formats. The original versions of Star Wars, for example.

Most of what I watch is still 1080p (or less) or streamed 4k which looks no different to 1080p. Given that 9" CRTs still offer some of the best image quality for 1080p and below, I'd say they aren't dead yet. They've um.... Just become more niche.... N stuff.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr. Zebra's going to fit in here just fine! Wink

Kal

thehockeytowner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Hear, hear!

Zebra, I couldn't have said it better myself Very Happy

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehockeytowner wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Hear, hear!

Zebra, I couldn't have said it better myself Very Happy

StarWars Parallelaphrase
"Those aren't STRIPES, those are CRT SCAN LINES!"

CRT.

HD done right!
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching Knives Out on my vintage tech, super-charged G90 and loving it. Don't write the obituary just yet.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
To be honest summer is not the season of the CRT either.
It is when you have a dark and cool basement theater to retreat too! Wink
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Tim in Phoenix wrote:
I've yet to see a DLP I liked.

Try LCoS technology. What JVC calls D-ILA and Sony calls SXRD. Been running this myself in my HT since 2013 (coming from an 8" LC EM Barco Cine 8 clone) and there was actually more depth due to the much better inter-scene contrast ratio. And my JVC is pretty old by today's standards. I did a direct comparison here for those who understand CRT: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973

What's the best, properly calibrated and set up digital projector you've seen Tim in home use?

Kal

have you ever seen a tweaked crt kal?

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
have you ever seen a tweaked crt kal?

Errr, Yes. I owned many for years, wrote/edited the hundreds of CRT projector guides and articles you find on this website, and was part of dozens of HT CRT meetings for years with CRT aficionados. I helped bring to market many of the tweaks and add-ons you're probably running on your CRT projector (such as the Moome HDMI card).

I don't understand the point of your question. If anyone's the biggest fanboy of CRT it was me for spending the 1000's of hours of 5+ years to put together this CRT website and pushing people to develop new tweaks for them. I understand and know CRT extremely well both as a fan of everything HT and as an electrical engineer who understands the technology and has worked on it at the component level.

That said, any technology has limitations no matter how you tweak it. Ignoring other advancing technologies doesn't make them go away.

Kal

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know all this and i am sure everyone is very grateful you put in this much time helping out other forum members but that doesn`t answer my question honestly.

i meant have you seen a pj 9 inch solely (still don`t understand why you had an 8 inch but ok) with the changes made on the boards to make them resolve the hd signal better and bring the noise floor down.

what`s your opinion about mike parkers mods for example on the marquee, have you seen them or his work on the g90 (though i am not sure he continued working on the g90) or gjakys work/mods on the marquee.

again kal i am not here to offend you if you feel like i did and can only applaud the many contributions you made for the crt community and still do be it to a lesser degree and wish you nothing but the best with your brewery endeavour.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: