Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony D50 - bad RGBHV board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archidan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Sony D50 - bad RGBHV board? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a D50 im playing with...it will display composite, but i can't seem to get component or RGB to work. I did not try S-video as i don't have a cable laying around anymore. i did some reading on the forums here and my suspicion is the RGBHV board. I tried sending signal from a DVD player and from a dvdo unit. any thoughts? am i headed in the right direction? did i miss something technical?

I know its old and low end 7" tubes, but the reason i am playing with this projector is that it has less than a hundred hours on it - there is not a spec of dust inside. and its actually pretty quiet.

-Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to check the menu to see if the BNC's are set to RGBHV or Component. Select the input on the back panel using the A and B buttons. You'll need a remote to check the menu's. ENTER, ENTER, UP ARROW, DOWN ARROW, ENTER to get into the service menu.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had bad RGB boards (which also includes the main microprocessor in that board), but the problem was always accompanied with an error code on the back, and the set would shut down. if composite works, then RGBHV should as well. As AnalogRocks says, the unit may be set to component, in which case you'll get nothing out of the RGBHV input. Make sure your H and V leads are correct, but I suspect the set is just fine.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Make sure your H and V leads are correct!!

^this and lots of this^

reversed H and V leads give you a blank screen and head scratching. Ask me how I know that at 3am on a Friday night. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it Clarence that had his Marquee ceiling mounted, and connected his RGBHV cables to VHBGR? Took a few days of everyone scratching their heads before he came back with what he had done..
archidan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I appreciate the all hand on deck gentlemen. Thank you.

Here is where i am now:

Composite works

Component works - 480i only - sent directly from DVD player

Line doubled signals are not recognized - and the internal line doubler is not functioning - blue drop outs entirely and green seems "inverted" and dim when engaged

I have also determined, that my DVDO unit is freezing - so i suspended testing 1080i/720p - I will be dumping the dvdo unit in the For sale section in a few minutes

ALSO, I did not test further because there might be another issue-------I cannot access the service menu.

I have tried the sequence ENTER, ENTER, UP ARROW, DOWN ARROW, ENTER

and i have also tried ENTER, RIGHT, ENTER, RIGHT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN, RIGHT, ENTER which is how i interpreted the manual - that's really confusingly written.

What happens when I press ENTER is I get a message in the lower right that says "OFF" The ENTER key does work when i am in the basic menu - the one accessed by pressing MENU. however any other time pressing ENTER simply yields the message "OFF" I have tried both just blasting thru the sequence, and doing it slowly.

I have three remotes, and have tried with all of them.

Im stuck at this point.

Ill also be honest - I'm probably going LCOS anyway do to physical setup needs, so if this unit is lemony, it will be available for free or parts Smile
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to physically connect the remote to the projector? A small 3.5 mm audio cable should do the trick.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archidan wrote:

I have also determined, that my DVDO unit is freezing - so i suspended testing 1080i/720p - I will be dumping the dvdo unit in the For sale section in a few minutes

archidan wrote:

ALSO, I did not test further because there might be another issue-------I cannot access the service menu.

I have tried the sequence ENTER, ENTER, UP ARROW, DOWN ARROW, ENTER

and i have also tried ENTER, RIGHT, ENTER, RIGHT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN, RIGHT, ENTER which is how i interpreted the manual - that's really confusingly written.

What happens when I press ENTER is I get a message in the lower right that says "OFF"
The ENTER key does work when i am in the basic menu - the one accessed by pressing MENU. however any other time pressing ENTER simply yields the message "OFF" I have tried both just blasting thru the sequence, and doing it slowly.

Im stuck at this point.

On the remote hit status first then try the sequence again to see if you can get into the service menu.

DVDO is likely power supply capacitors. Open the power supply up and check or see if you have another with the same voltage and amperage.

As for the 480i only sound like the input isn't set to TriLevel sync or HDTV ( sorry can't remember what it says )

CRT.

HD done right!
archidan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did all my testing with a physical cable. but....hmmmm I will check when I am back home that it was a stereo cable, not mono, but I'm pretty sure it was. The remote seemed to work for most other buttons and when I pressed ENTER the PJ would display "OFF" in small green letters in the lower right for about 3 seconds after, so it was definitely getting some kind of communication
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We posted at the same time. See my message above.

CRT.

HD done right!
archidan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks,

I shall try hitting status first and report back my results.

Thank you.
archidan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!... Thank to AnalogRocks. Changing STATUS allowed me in and out of the service menu

service menu shows only 28 hours if that can be believed
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archidan wrote:
Success!... Thank to AnalogRocks. Changing STATUS allowed me in and out of the service menu

service menu shows only 28 hours if that can be believed

If the picture is sharp then YES 28 hours would be correct. However if things look fuzzy and there is tube burn then probably 10 028 hrs.

How are the tubes?

CRT.

HD done right!
archidan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who wants a free D50? Its definitely new - its not possible to clean things this well and the tubes are perfect smooth and white. I picked it up a few years ago and was told it was unsold stock but didn't really believe that at the time.. Its been fun playing with this, but ultimately it just doesn't fit in the space i have to work with now. Now that its been verified as working who wants to come pick it up? Smile

Last edited by archidan on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could. But you're too far from me, and I ain't got no place to put it. Sad
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archidan wrote:
who wants a free D50? Its definitely new - its not possible to clean things this well and the tubes are perfect smooth and white. I picked it up a few years ago and was told it was unsold stock but didn't really believe that at the time.. Its been fun playing with this, but ultimately it just doesn't fit in the space i have to work with now. Now that its been verified as working who wants to come pick it up? Smile

Too bad I could use a new one here in Vermont. This one has 16 000 hrs +

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: