Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 7" - cooling fans mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Barco 7" - cooling fans mod Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've got a BD701s that I've been wanting to replace the fans on for a long time as they are very noisy even when the PJ is ice cold (since there's no temperature control). I have some 38 or 40 mm thick fans with integrated fan control and a broad performance range that I think would be perfect for this pj, but they're about 13mm thicker than the original 25mm fans. It won't be as simple as a direct swap.

Any tips on what to do? as far as I see it I have 4 ideas:

1. mount the fans on the outside of the original bracket and remove/modify the plastic front plate (could end up looking ugly)
2. cut out the top part of the original fan bracket and build one or four small brackets that raise the fans just above the pcb
3. cut out the corners of the oricinal fan bracket and build another one holding the fans, the fans ending up about in the middle of the original bracket depthwise
4. cut out the bottom of the fans where they would hit the pcb (and still probably have to lift them slightly so the fan blades don't touch the pcb)

I'd prefer to avoid cutting into original parts as much as possible. Any ideas, tips or recommendations?

Also any recommendations on where to mount the temp sensors? Which areas in the projector get the hottest? Keep in mind this is just a beater projector with 10k hours and burn in so I'm just experimenting with this one until I fix my 8" and 9" units.

power_supply_165.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.55 KB
 Viewed:  2771 Time(s)

power_supply_165.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion: Don't change the fans.

The fans themselves are not noisy. What you're hearing is turbulance of air flowing through the unit and across various components.
If you take the fan out and run it just holding it up with nothing around it, it's fairly quiet.

The only way to make it quieter is to reduce airflow with slower fans which is not recommended. I did tons of tests like this back in the day (when I had a Cine 8 and BArco 800) and the temp rise on heatsinks was too much for my comfort.

You need a hushbox: http://www.curtpalme.com/Hushbox1.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
My suggestion: Don't change the fans.

The fans themselves are not noisy. What you're hearing is turbulance of air flowing through the unit and across various components.
If you take the fan out and run it just holding it up with nothing around it, it's fairly quiet.

The only way to make it quieter is to reduce airflow with slower fans which is not recommended. I did tons of tests like this back in the day (when I had a Cine 8 and BArco 800) and the temp rise on heatsinks was too much for my comfort.

You need a hushbox: http://www.curtpalme.com/Hushbox1.shtm

Kal

They ARE in fact noisy. It's not turbulence of air flowing. I do recognize the sound and I'm 100% sure the bearings are shot after 25 years of service. I will change them out with something anyway.

I know the 800 and 808 is a completely different design, but which heatsinks got uncomfortably hot? I guess especially the deflection boards near the rear corner got toasty?

Actually the fans I'm planning on using are MUCH more powerful than the original ones when ramped up. And it's a good thing if I glue/mount he temp sensors on the hottest heatsings, because then the fans will do their job and ramp up when needed.

Another interesting aspect of the original fans is since they're identical but run slightly desynchronized, and it's motor noise i'm hearing, they resonate and create an "owwwawwwowwwa" sound, which adds to the noise. My replacement fans would probably end up desyncing completely and run at different speeds thus not sound like this.

My room temp is often very low (12°C) and sometimes I'd love it if I could just turn on the projector on briefly to change a song on my htpc or to pause the podcast i'm listening to without having to turn up the volume first.

Last edited by sevs on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevs wrote:
They ARE in fact noisy. It's not turbulence of air flowing. I do recognize the sound and I'm 100% sure the bearings are shot after 25 years of service. I will change them out with something anyway.

I'd change them for something with the same airflow/static pressure.

Quote:
I know the 800 and 808 is a completely different design, but which heatsinks got uncomfortably hot? I guess especially the deflection boards near the rear corner got toasty?

All heatsinks ran warmer. I have threads with all my tests somewhere in the forum with all the gory details.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've found a good way to do it. I could just mount the fans on the outside of the original bracket instead of the inside, then I could 3D scan the original front piece, redesign it to fit the new fans, and 3D print a new one in two or three parts. I'll see if i can find the time to do it, and I'll post my progress on the forum Cool
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
sevs wrote:

I'd change them for something with the same airflow/static pressure.
Kal
that was the part that tripped up most modders, they would look at some PC fan rated to flow some incredible amount of air with no back-pressure , then stick in their CRT and cook the machine because pushing air thru a CRT case, around tubes, and past power supplies created all kinds of back pressure.

Papst fans did a great job on rating both noise and pressure ratings for their fans. There was a model that was direct 24 volts drop-in for the marquee with same pressure rated flow that was much quieter. Not cheap, about $25. each

No idea for Barco however
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: