Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH-G90U Green Tube MG Focus problem.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
You would definitely be the man to know. I'm only going by my limited experience reading the forums and thats most likely for the more common failures reported the past 10-15 years. My YA failure 10 years ago exhibited the shaky image and lack of controls. It died around 1500 hrs
jbryoo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overcorrection problem has been resolved.
According to Craigr's instructions, I pulled out the YA board from the G90, reinserted it with care, then turned on the power, and the G90 worked normally. (Still, MG Focus problem remains on the green tube ....)
I am very grateful to Craigr for helping overcorrection problems.

Let's get back to the MG Focus Problem of the green tube again.

The following actions have been tried so far, but MG Focus Problem is not yet clear what the cause is.
-Swapping EBG board and EBB board
-Swapping EBQ and EBH board
-swapping the cables of the EBG board's CN150 (white) and the EBR board's CN140 (red).
-Check YA Board's IC421 Chip and Dallas Chip

Let me know what else I can do to resolve the MG Focus problem.

First of all, as Craig pointed out, I would have to test the DE Board after replacing it with another DE Board.
(Craigr, Please let me know by e-mail the DE Board sales price and how I can buy it. If the price is reasonable, I plan to purchase it.)

Jibong
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me an email. I'll sell one cheap.

If it's not the DE board than it is most likely the IC421 chip on your YA board.

As an alternative, can you try your YA board in anyone else's projector and see if green focus works? You may also ship it to me for testing but I understand that this is rather inconvenient considering the ocean is in the way Wink

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would you charge for the De? Also what about a ya board check out.

Thanks.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
You would definitely be the man to know. I'm only going by my limited experience reading the forums and thats most likely for the more common failures reported the past 10-15 years. My YA failure 10 years ago exhibited the shaky image and lack of controls. It died around 1500 hrs

You're not completely wrong Haydn. What I say is that the longer the IC421 last the longer it will probably continue to last. In other words, IC421's mortality rate is higher the younger the chip is. I have seen them fail as early as 600 hours and I have seen them fail as late as 4500 hours. The lion's share fail before 1,500 hours, but you are never totally out of the woods with an 836A01E lot IC421.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crtbilly wrote:
How much would you charge for the De? Also what about a ya board check out.

Thanks.

Thanks for sending the PM. I responded to it for you already.

Best,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
jbryoo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, it's been a while.
I came back.

To solve the MG Focusing problem of Green Tube, I have tried various things as suggested, but the problem has not been solved yet.

In the meantime, I tried to replace the DE Board as one of the possible solutions. The DE Board was obtained with the help of Craigr.

However, I am sorry that I can not give you the good news.
Unfortunately, the result of replacing the DE Board did not solve the MG Focusing problem of the Green Tube.
Before and after the replacement of the DE board is the same.
Perhaps the cause of the problem seems to be elsewhere.

From now on, please help me how I can try to solve the problem.

Thanks

Jibong
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How set are you on keeping this projector running? I'd probably part it out for tubes or what not and just switch over to a JVC projector and call it done. That's eventually what I did with my G70. One board broke, then another, then another, and it quickly added up to not being worth fixing.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping mine running for the foreseeable future. Tubes are good, looks great with a pro calibration running 1080/72Hz via a Lumagen XE+, improved black levels/CR with MP's BA board mods and quieter with Phelps fan mods. Just changed the Dallas chip, probably for the last time.
When I move back to Europe I'll probably pick up a Sony laser pj.

To OP, I think your next stop is to send the YA board to Craig so he can test it and make repairs if necessary. Seems like you've excluded other possible causes.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet it looks fantastic.

Curious - how would the YA board cause the MG adjustment not to work?
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig is the person to give a technical explanation. The YA is the brains of the operation and as such has a wide range of functions. Doesn't surprise me that Craig would say to look there next if all other possibilities have been exhausted.

I think its still worth putting some resources into the G90 as it can still be a top performer. I was happy to send Craig my YA for an error 88 fix knowing I should easily get another 5-10 years out of it given my current usage assuming I can keep the tubes in serviceable condition. Having a parts mule also helps.
If anything happens to the tubes I'll probably call it a day.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My living situation doesn't permit me to own a G90 or any CRT projector for that matter. That situation won't change in the forseable future, but perhaps in 5 years when we buy another house, I may see what's out there and see if having a G90 is a realistic possibility. I'm not going to hold my breath though. CRT is pretty much dead for home theater.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack. OP - good luck. Sounds like the YA board is your next suspect.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fearful that this is going to wind up being a bad IC421 on the YA board Sad Only way to know is to try the board in another projector. It could possibly be another component on the YA board that has gone bad. I would suggest sending my your YA board for testing if you have nobody else in South Korea that has a G90 for you to try it in.

If it's a bad IC421 than you will need a new YA board which I have in stock. I would even give you credit for your bad YA board as a trade in.

It's possible that it's somewhere else in the projector, but highly unlikely. The last thing I would consider trying is swapping the red and green tubes assemblies with magnetics and all. That would rule out a bad coil or wiring as well as the tube it's self. I wouldn't have high hopes, but it's prudent to do before shipping your YA board all the way to me... especially considering how long it took your post to deliver the DE board.

Sorry the DE didn't solve it for you. If it had, it would have been the first DE I have seen fail though.

Kind regards,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
jbryoo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the clue to solving the MG Focusing problem of Green Tube is hiding in a very deep place.

According to craigr's suggestion, I try to do the following.

First of all, here in South Korea I will try what I can do on my own.
I will exchange the entire assembly, including the MG Focus Coil of the Green Tube and the Red Tube.
At this stage, I hope that the cause of the problem solving will be revealed.

If this is not the case, I will send my YA Board to Craigr and test it to see if the problem is on the YA board.
Because I have not found anyone who is using the Sony G90 Projector here in South Korea.

It is difficult and time consuming for me to exchange the entire assembly of Green Tube and Red Tube. But I will try and report the result.

Please let me know if you have any additional advice.

Thanks

Jibong
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I'd not mess around with dismantling the tube magnetics and swapping them over. The coils are quite delicate and I snapped one of the copper filaments installing the coils on a new green tube. Are the cables to the coils long enough to swap the leads from green to another color and see if the problem follows? That might help determine if the problem is YA or tube assembly related.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: