Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Retro PC gaming time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've been playing Time Crisis 3 with my real Time Crisis arcade recoil gun. It's so much fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D4inp1dGN4

And Ghost Squad on my PC via the Dolphin emulator using a real Ghost Squad arcade machine gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gx00X9qgzM

I'm setting it up with a 110" screen in my new house.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
I've been playing Time Crisis 3 with my real Time Crisis arcade recoil gun. It's so much fun:

And Ghost Squad on my PC via the Dolphin emulator using a real Ghost Squad arcade machine gun:

A few years back I bought time crysis 2 or 3 for ps2 and a guncon?? I tried it on the 120" Stewart Studiotech 1.3 gain off the SONY D50. Gun wouldn' t register right. I would love tro try it on a 13-15 gain curved screen. That would probably work better. or at all for that matter.

Like we talked about in this post: Gain turned up to 11: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33929

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Zebra wrote:

A few years back I bought time crysis 2 or 3 for ps2 and a guncon?? I tried it on the 120" Stewart Studiotech 1.3 gain off the SONY D50. Gun wouldn' t register right. I would love tro try it on a 13-15 gain curved screen. That would probably work better. or at all for that matter.

Like we talked about in this post: Gain turned up to 11: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33929

Brightness is just one of the factors with light guns registering. The key one is the light gun itself. None of the 3rd party guns work that well, even when they were new. That includes when using my 27" CRT arcade monitors. Aging caps and worn out photo diodes haven't helped much.

I always start with the official Namco Guncon 2. They are the best by miles (if the photo diode is still good but a lot are broken). I removed a worn out photo diode a wired the Guncon 2 PCB to a real Time Crisis arcade gun. These work even better as they use a glass lens instead of plastic.

Then there is the distance from the screen. One of the problems with larger projector screens is that you stand too far back or too close to activate the photo diode. Try reducing the screen size to around 60" and using a white regular screen.

High gain retroreflective or specular reflective screens are designed to direct light back to the source or at the angle of incidence which is hugely problematic for a photo diode or photo resistor. Try using Orca Grow for some cheap but incredibly bright diffuse white diy screen material:

https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Or, better yet, use a rear projection set-up like they do on the "Deluxe" arcade cabs.

Any sort of line doubler of scaler should be removed. If the res and refresh rate on screen is not identical to what's coming out the PS2, light guns won't work. Some projectors automatically upscale 15khz to 31khz. The only real light guns that will work on these are the Act Labs PC guns or arcade light guns connected via a USB2GUN board.

Convergence has to be well dialed in. One of my arcade monitors has poor convergence at the bottom right corner and it's a light gun dead zone.

The gun I'm using in the Ghost Squad video is a real Sega arcade recoil gun. These didn't use real light guns. They have ten IR led boards mounted around the monitor bezel with a photo diode in the gun. The Sega type 2 guns will work on any monitor or projector including digital. I connected mine to a PC using an Ultimarc U-HID. It's very easy.

Directional arcade guns can also be used on any screen. I'm using a real arcade Alien 3 gun to play Alien 3 in mame in this video (using a DLP projector):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EdwvQJZlg&t=2s
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got gifted 3 PS2's. Managed to get 2 working so far. I was playing as DarthVader yesterday.

Tonight; some Midnight Club LA

Tomorrow, P233MMX upgrade, I have a 32meg ATi PCI 3D accelerator card to put in there. c.1999

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Just got gifted 3 PS2's. Managed to get 2 working so far. I was playing as DarthVader yesterday.

Tomorrow, P233MMX upgrade, I have a 32meg ATi PCI 3D accelerator card to put in there. c.1999

Conundrum. I have 2, 32mb ATi 128 PRO cards. Put the first one in, buttoned it up, no boot.

Put the second one in, in a different PCI slot. Booted, found the card. Asked for the driver.
I found the Win98/Me driver. Found an online virus scanner to make sure I wouldn't hose my Win95c install. Downloaded the 7.5mb file, searched around for some CD-R's. Plugged an external burner into this Linux PC. Installed K3B disk burner software for Linux, only to get the dreaded K3B does not have permission to access this burner, please change settings in K3B.
CHECK! No settings found.

Uninstall K3B. Install Xfburn. Burn the massive 7.5MB file to disk. OK DONE!

Nope. Win95 won't complete its boot with the CD-R in the top CD-ROM drive

4 reboots later...allowed Win95 to recognize the ATi card as a generic VGA card.

Switch CD-R to other drive. Read 7.6MB ATi installer file. Done! 2 more reboots because Win95.

Set resolution and color depth to 800x600 32bpp. Right, now we're getting somewhere. It's time for ol'scol gaming goodness. BUT first I'll put the computer case back on. Do that, no boot, black screen. Elapsed time 3.5 hours, F'it and I went to bed.

<sarcasm>Ahhh PC's. so much fun!</sarcasm>

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Zebra wrote:

Brightness is just one of the factors with light guns registering. The key one is the light gun itself. None of the 3rd party guns work that well, even when they were new. That includes when using my 27" CRT arcade monitors. Aging caps and worn out photo diodes haven't helped much.

I always start with the official Namco Guncon 2. They are the best by miles (if the photo diode is still good but a lot are broken). I removed a worn out photo diode a wired the Guncon 2 PCB to a real Time Crisis arcade gun. These work even better as they use a glass lens instead of plastic.

Then there is the distance from the screen. One of the problems with larger projector screens is that you stand too far back or too close to activate the photo diode. Try reducing the screen size to around 60" and using a white regular screen.

High gain retroreflective or specular reflective screens are designed to direct light back to the source or at the angle of incidence which is hugely problematic for a photo diode or photo resistor. Try using Orca Grow for some cheap but incredibly bright diffuse white diy screen material:

https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Or, better yet, use a rear projection set-up like they do on the "Deluxe" arcade cabs.

Any sort of line doubler of scaler should be removed. If the res and refresh rate on screen is not identical to what's coming out the PS2, light guns won't work. Some projectors automatically upscale 15khz to 31khz. The only real light guns that will work on these are the Act Labs PC guns or arcade light guns connected via a USB2GUN board.

Convergence has to be well dialed in. One of my arcade monitors has poor convergence at the bottom right corner and it's a light gun dead zone.

The gun I'm using in the Ghost Squad video is a real Sega arcade recoil gun. These didn't use real light guns. They have ten IR led boards mounted around the monitor bezel with a photo diode in the gun. The Sega type 2 guns will work on any monitor or projector including digital. I connected mine to a PC using an Ultimarc U-HID. It's very easy.

Directional arcade guns can also be used on any screen. I'm using a real arcade Alien 3 gun to play Alien 3 in mame in this video (using a DLP projector):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EdwvQJZlg&t=2s

That Aliens game looks great on the big screen!

The Orca Grow Film 54 in x 25 ft Roll looks interesting too. We use to use counter top material here Wilsonart Designer White.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Tomorrow, P233MMX upgrade, I have a 32meg ATi PCI 3D accelerator card to put in there. c.May 2001

Conundrum. I have 2, 32mb ATi 128 PRO cards. Put the first one in, buttoned it up, no boot.

Put the second one in, in a different PCI slot. Booted, found the card. Asked for the driver.
I found the Win98/Me driver. Found an online virus scanner to make sure I wouldn't hose my Win95c install. Downloaded the 7.5mb file, searched around for some CD-R's. Plugged an external burner into this Linux PC. Installed K3B disk burner software for Linux, only to get the dreaded K3B does not have permission to access this burner, please change settings in K3B.
CHECK! No settings found.

Uninstall K3B. Install Xfburn. Burn the massive 7.5MB file to disk. OK DONE!

Nope. Win95 won't complete its boot with the CD-R in the top CD-ROM drive

4 reboots later...allowed Win95 to recognize the ATi card as a generic VGA card.

Switch CD-R to other drive. Read 7.6MB ATi installer file. Done! 2 more reboots because Win95.

Set resolution and color depth to 800x600 32bpp. Right, now we're getting somewhere. It's time for ol'scol gaming goodness. BUT first I'll put the computer case back on. Do that, no boot, black screen. Elapsed time 3.5 hours, F'it and I went to bed.

<sarcasm>Ahhh PC's. so much fun!</sarcasm>

Ahhh haa! There was a reason the seller had a sh*t ton of these video cards. The brackets are cut wrong! If you tighten the set screw all the way it pulls the card partially out of the PCI slot.

WOW! I love this era of PC hardware. The previous card was a 4mb S3 VIRGE (DX/GX)386 PCI 1996 ish card. This one runs circles around that one.

I've got the 'pipes' screen saver running. I'd say its 6-8 gtimes faster than before.

Now 'Need For Speed' time.

EDIT: added S3 VIRGE (DX/GX)386 PCI card descriptin & changed the ATi card's date from c.1999 to May 2001

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

I used to love that game (the original, version 1, from 1995).

Though not as much fun as Stunts from 1990.

You could build your own tracks!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake 1 512x384!!Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that game!!...I suck at video games ..but I still have a vintage steering wheel, that I bought because of watching old video games with Personal/Momo style wheels... it has been through a couple of cars and still hangs in the garage.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my son has bugged me for years to let him mount it on his driving sim....
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MOMO wheel from 1999, awesome wheel. Force Feedback and a slight off set to the left until the game starts.

CRT.

HD done right!
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Personal/Momo fitipalldi limited edition... from 1979 one of the best feeling wheels I have ever used.. it has thumb rests, swells and bumps in all the right places and is almost perfectly sized.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emo new his stuff.

Now loading Xwing vs. Tie Fighter

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

I used to love that game (the original, version 1, from 1995).

Though not as much fun as Stunts from 1990.

You could build your own tracks!

Kal

I have Stunts installed!

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't seem to beat solitare tonight. What time is it anyways and why do my eyes hurt?

Because...computer time Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I stayed up way too late. I use to do that every night. Can't do that any more. But 90's PC are still my favorite.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now playing Scorch Earth and smoking the other tank with HotNapalm

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Chess!

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Battle Chess!

Now if I only knew how to play chess lol

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: