Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

D50 washed out picture/ faded colors

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roaddog

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: D50 washed out picture/ faded colors Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi

I've had this D50 for quite a few years and its been relatively hassle free after the initial setup, It had a nice clean picture. I'm using component cables for the input from a sat receiver.

I haven't watched it much in the last year or so but decided to watch it for the Super bowl. The colors are very washed out and muted looking, Its like its lost the shine. The white is very grey looking. The colors are correct but just washed out. No one has touched anything as far as setup. I did change out the sat receiver some time ago do to failure but like I said never really watched it until this weekend. Anyone have an idea where to start?

I have hooked up this receiver to flat panel TV and colors is nice a sharp, so don't think that's it.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the flat panel via component?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is minimal color adjustment done to the incoming signal when using component, although there is a bit. Try a composite or Svideo signal, or even an RGBHV one from another source, if you still have something around. D50s are notorious for tubes, as Sony pushed them really hard, but if the test patterns and menus are fine, then I'd say the tubes are OK.

About the only internal problem could be with the RGBHV input board, that houses the signal processing. Unfortunately, swapping that out will require you to do a full setup again, as that's also where the memory is stored. I should have one last RGBHV input board here that I can sell for cheap if you want to try that, but I've gotten rid of almost all of my D50 parts last year due to lack of demand.
roaddog

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Did you use the flat panel via component?

yes and hdmi, picture looks good
roaddog

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt

I will try another source tonight and report back, could color warmth setting cause this?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the power turned off from the main switch where the power cord plugs in? If so - long shot - go into the menu and make sure inputs are set to YPbPr and sync is set to tri-level or it may be called HDTV. I can't remember haven't been in a D50 menu for a while

CRT.

HD done right!
roaddog

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i made some progress, I set levels back to default and the picture looks better, I think its possible my nephews played with it when they watched a movie some time ago. I still don't seem to have the brightness I used to have. I realize I've forgotten pretty much everything i knew about this thing. I watched Grahams setup video last night. I still have the dvd!, anyways the picture looks dark to me, it doesn't have that shine to it.

AnalogRocks, I don't see what you're referring to, I see sync on green, am I in the right area?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to enter serviceman mode; press: enter, enter, arow up, arow down, enter then check the menu's again. I'll be at my D50 next week. I can have a look then if this doesn't do it.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get this straitened out?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: