Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Horizontal scan lines on Marquee 9500 Ultra

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Horizontal scan lines on Marquee 9500 Ultra Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well I am slowly learning my Marquee setup with lots of reading and trial and error. Am getting better each time but have a couple of issues. I am using the MARQUEE MAGNETIC SETUP 101 by Bill Blue and trying to follow it closely.
First, my horizontal scan lines, and dots, have started to display double. Two thin lines about .125" apart instead of one line. And one small dot .125" above the other. It happened yesterday at some point in my setup but don't know why.
Second, nothing I do will move the bright dot to the center of the blob during stig and flare adjustment. I can electrically make the blob round in the service menu, but turning the flare ring does nothing but move the entire raster about on the screen. I was successful on all three tubes neutralizing the ring magnets, and centering the display by moving the focus coil. But nothing I have tried can get the dot to move into the blob. Surely I do not know what I am doing there yet.
Eventually I hope to replace my HD Fury Pro with a new VIM-FULLHD input card and run all new hdmi cables through the wall, and someday get my image off the wall onto a nice screen, but until then want my Marquee at its best.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which type of magnets do you have on the Marquee? Are they the spin a knob like a thumb screw or are they two separate discs with tabs to spin the magnets about? Also, how many poles are your magnets?

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be turning the wrong magnets. You should have one knob to turn. If you see three knobs, those are six pole and the procedure is different. And you have to throw the focus setting to both extremes to see what is changing.
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forward pair of rings that can be spun around the flare yolk have a thumbscrew that meshes in between them, and when turned it will counter rotate the two rings. That thumbscrew was adjusted as described in Bill Blues setup instructions to neutralize the ring magnets.
The rear pair of rings that can be spun around the flare yolk do not have a thumb screw, but are locked together with a plastic tab.
All the rings spin freely, but nothing seems to have any effect on the shape of the blobs or the location of the dots. I did notice, however, that if a metal screw driver got close it had a lot of effect.
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with contrast 100 and focus zero the shiny dot is clearly at the lower periphery of the blob, and at focus 100 the blobs are pretty round after using the electronic adjustment. The rings I am using are exactly like these in picture 14 here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj2_uaemJ7gAhXqRd8KHWjIAwUQFjAAegQIAhAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etechvideo.com%2Fpdf%2FMarqueeMagnetics.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3SEctrCsiIwlfRGz9x2jUi
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea or have you seen before the twin horizontal scan lines?
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ameltvedt wrote:

The rear pair of rings that can be spun around the flare yolk do not have a thumb screw, but are locked together with a plastic tab.
All the rings spin freely, but nothing seems to have any effect on the shape of the blobs or the location of the dots. I did notice, however, that if a metal screw driver got close it had a lot of effect.

The rings without a knob, I think those are inert spacers.

Go to UTIL, 1, 6, 2 and bring up an internal test signal, it may stabilize the dots for you. If you get lost in the procedure you are using, try mine. etechvideo.com

If you get pissed and throw a focus yoke at the wall, be sure to save the magnets inside, the little cylinders. They work great on your fridge! LOL
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is funny! I always wondered where refridgerator magnets came from. No wonder there aren’t any more Barco 800 parts around any more!!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure, you do know that you need to spin the tumb screws on those magnets and also "rock" the magnets around the neck of the tube to make the adjustment right? From what you have written it seems you do understand, but just checking.

There really isn't anyway that I have ever seen where this won't work so it's a matter of us figuring out what is wrong...

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. You know I thought after the neutralizing procedure with the thumbscrew that I was finished with that. Of course spinning the ring doesn’t do anything cause I just neutralized it, right? Sometimes the perfectly obvious still has to bite you...,
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ameltvedt wrote:
Huh. You know I thought after the neutralizing procedure with the thumbscrew that I was finished with that. Of course spinning the ring doesn’t do anything cause I just neutralized it, right? Sometimes the perfectly obvious still has to bite you...,

Thumbs Up

Yup, neutral just gets you started. Don't forget, go back into the service menu and set your astig back to 50 for all three colors. Now spin the thumb screw and rock the magnet until you get those dots centered and round... I think you will find that it works!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

Any time you reach near the tube glass you are very close to 35,000 volts, and it will blow you right off the ladder. Or stop your clock. At that voltage, even glass will conduct electricity and electricity looks for a path to ground, like your hand. One hand in your pocket is a safety rule from years ago. I took a hit from a Novabeam a long time ago; that was 25,000 volts and it wasn't any fun......
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I appreciate all your advice, especially the "stayin alive" kind. With the projector in the ceiling, I use a headlamp and watch what I'm doing (right or wrong) real close
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: